AFL Player #35: Matt Guelfi - Out for <insert weeks> with a calf strain - 18/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Like Bieber, one of the few players in the side that has a genuine crack, nothing in the taking down of essendon stuff from social media I’d be *en embarrassed to have anything to do with club as well

He's a decent little player, but these are the type you either move on or who get squeezed out if you want to take the next step (not that I think we're there, just that there's no point stressing about it).

If he's got something lined up I'm not expecting anything more than an upgrade of a 4th to a 3rd.

He's a decent little player, but these are the type you either move on or who get squeezed out if you want to take the next step (not that I think we're there, just that there's no point stressing about it).

If he's got something lined up I'm not expecting anything more than an upgrade of a 4th to a 3rd.
Agreed. I'd be happy enough to keep him, but if he wants to leave then it serves no purpose than to try and help him get where he wants and move on.

He does the dramatic things that stand out but when we were able to attend games he seemed to get lost where to be defensively. Those dramatic chases or lunges were more making up for mistakes.

Having said that he did seem to improve this year but I haven't been able to attend any games.
Last week I was just thinking how beneficial a pre-season with the defenders and learning off Saad would be for him. How quickly times have changed.

So, a trade back home never eventuated and with a year left to run on his contract Matt stays.

I think he has enough attributes to get firt dibs on that small defender role vacated by Saad. Is strong, competitive af and whilst not quick need to improve his awareness if he is to do well enough in the role for the season.

No secret I am a fan, in saying that he has had strong players around him previously but putting him in the firing line against the likes of a Charlie Cameron, Eddie Betts or Tom Papley is going to be dangerous and will require a team defence more than ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not even named as an emergency for the Geelong game, thought he played a good game against Carlton, injured surely?
That’s the only explanation I can think of, was one of our best in the first half of the Carlton game before being benched. Head scratcher.

"Matt Guelfi had a fantastic game. He played an AFL-style game in the VFL; strong in the contest and in the air, intercepted well and set us up with his run and carry off half-back. It was a really good game back from injury, and he looked strong and fit. He played a full game with his usual rotations each quarter."

Be good if they could improve his decision making with the football. Physically he ticks all the boxes for our intended gamestyle (and the new interchange rules). Quick, agile, strong and good endurance - If more of our tiny players had his athletic profile we would be far better off - even without his height.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back