AFL Player #35: Matt Guelfi - Out for <insert weeks> with a calf strain - 18/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Be good if they could improve his decision making with the football. Physically he ticks all the boxes for our intended gamestyle (and the new interchange rules). Quick, agile, strong and good endurance - If more of our tiny players had his athletic profile we would be far better off - even without his height.

He really punches his kicks too, we’ve got a fair few that kick pretty floaty balls but Guelf can really penetrate and get it to that next contest quickly.

I’d almost take that over pinpoint accuracy tbh

Never gets a lot of love but he does the blue collar stuff without hesitation. Not a star but you just need guys like him and Snelling to do the team stuff.

Never been too sure about him and he's one of those blokes who you think is just holding a spot until somebody better comes along... but I dunno, he seems to do some okay things. And he's bloody tough, that's his trademark.

Was decent, needs to keep cracking in.

Pretty much this. What confounds me if how it is that he gets chosen as the guy to play so many games.

I've seen a lot of guys come and go who haven't received half of the opportunity and there is no obvious reason why.

Pretty much this. What confounds me if how it is that he gets chosen as the guy to play so many games.

I've seen a lot of guys come and go who haven't received half of the opportunity and there is no obvious reason why.
We haven't had any players who crack in as hard as he does. It's immense for team culture seeing someone put as much effort as he does and it sets the standard for the rest of the group. He's obviously not very good at footy, but he tries more than anyone and thats why he gets games, and hell continue to get games until we have players who have a similar work ethic with better skills.

Who comes in?
We have no depth. Add Caldwell to the team and i can see him shifting to sub.
Shiel, and he'd be up against it with Snelling
I'd even argue Langford is languishing closer to being dropped on current form.

We can ill afford another midfield injury.

Cheekbones.

In all seriousness he brings a certain bouncy hardness that I don’t really thing we possess otherwise. He can jump, he can mark overhead and his kicking is generally pretty good in terms of depth and direction.

If it were up to me he’d be playing the rest of the year in the centres at VFL level to see whether he can work on accumulating more footy but I’m not really sure injuries will permit that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who comes in?
We have no depth. Add Caldwell to the team and i can see him shifting to sub.
Shiel, and he'd be up against it with Snelling
I'd even argue Langford is languishing closer to being dropped on current form.

We can ill afford another midfield injury.
Depth? if the entire list isn't made up of players who are top 10 in the league then why even bother?

My comment was over the journey, I accept that there are no current alternatives because we have such bad depth of midfielders, flankers and smalls.

He played 15 and 17 games in his first 2 years on the list. I've always found that staggering and there is nothing I've seen in the last 2-3 years that changes that view (as in some high quality attributes have now crystallised).

Last edited:
My comment was over the journey, I accept that there are no current alternatives because we have such bad depth of midfielders, flankers and smalls.

He played 15 and 17 games in his first 2 years on the list. I've always found that staggering and there is nothing I've seen in the last 2-3 years that changes that view (as in some high quality attributes have not crystallised).
that's a fair point, though i still think an indictment on our midfield depth.
Selections from the last 2 years i am trying to erase from memory. I'd like to think Parish has always been this gun onballer for us :p

I feel as though the club could make a fortune on the 2022 calendar by just having Guelf and Archie on every page.

That would cover Dunkley's salary in one hit.

He played 15 and 17 games in his first 2 years on the list. I've always found that staggering and there is nothing I've seen in the last 2-3 years that changes that view (as in some high quality attributes have now crystallised).

He's a hard working role player that can slot in almost anywhere on the field. He's playing because of how few guys we have willing to do the team-first grunt work. Similar reason Snelling plays every game he's fit for.

8 touches, 6 tackles, 1 goal and probably unlucky not to have the goal assist to the one Hooker missed.

I’d probably straight swap him in for Stringer and have him play the mad dog role

Remove this Banner Ad

Back