AFL Player #35: Matt Guelfi - Out for <insert weeks> with a calf strain - 18/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Guelfi won me over. Great utility and role player, doesn't always work but one player who can be given a role that really influences the outcome. Redman and Geulfi both out, are probably our 2 biggest effort players. Durham same category as well.

Last edited:
Guelfi can be a very important part of our forward line. He won't ever be a Charlie Cameron, but he could definitely be a Lincoln McCarthy. His stats over the last few years a more or less very similar.

Guelfi can be a very important part of our forward line. He won't ever be a Charlie Cameron, but he could definitely be a Lincoln McCarthy. His stats over the last few years a more or less very similar.

He’s 26 now, I think he just is what he is. A handy utility, should probably be on one year deals the rest of his career. At full strength, I don’t think we’d want him in our 22/23 - but every club needs his type of player. Can see why he’d be a coaches favourite

He’s 26 now, I think he just is what he is. A handy utility, should probably be on one year deals the rest of his career. At full strength, I don’t think we’d want him in our 22/23 - but every club needs his type of player. Can see why he’d be a coaches favourite
you'd have him starting on the bench tbh. good player who'll bust his gut every day, everyone needs him, mightn't be pretty but he puts the work in

So... the same age Lincoln McCarthy was when he joined Brisbane and started to do things consistently?

So... the same age Lincoln McCarthy was when he joined Brisbane and started to do things consistently?
McCarthy was 23/24 when he went there I think? Pulse there's a difference, he couldn't get on the park for Geelong and has only missed 2 or 3 games since heading to Brisbane b

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McCarthy was 23/24 when he went there I think? Pulse there's a difference, he couldn't get on the park for Geelong and has only missed 2 or 3 games since heading to Brisbane b
He was really good at the, just constantly getting injured. It’s not really a surprise that when he gets access to some gear to keep him on the park he turns into a good player

It was at the end of the 2018 season, turned 25 in October that year. I'm aware of his injury history and skill set when at Geelong. Was a fan of what he could do when I saw his few games amongst the injuries.

Point being, it was only in his 3rd year at the lions 2021 (aged 27) that he averaged more than a goal a game. Yet he played every available game because he added something valuable to the forward setup. Guelfi offers similar traits he just isn't surrounded by those that have complimentary skills.

We don't necessarily need to find an upgrade for Guelf, finding a Charlie Cameron to work alongside him would be a net benefit.

I don’t agree with the McCarthy comp - totally different players. Guelfi’s fine for what he is, a role player/utility who ideally is depth, or starting on the interchange. He’s not going to do a whole lot of changing after 100 games at 26.

Takes hind/davey/Menzies spot when back. Good pressure player and has more variety then others.
He is a better option than Menzie or Hind on current form for sure but he is more a hard at the contest player than a genuine pressure player. Has rated average or below average for tackles his whole career. Right now I am keen to see more of Davey for a few more games as far as development goes.

He is a better option than Menzie or Hind on current form for sure but he is more a hard at the contest player than a genuine pressure player. Has rated average or below average for tackles his whole career. Right now I am keen to see more of Davey for a few more games as far as development goes.
Agree.

Guelfi doesn’t spook defenders with his pressure. ADJ isn’t quite express speed but he’s quick enough to get defenders rushing and to to deliver chase down pressure. It adds to the team.

Agree.

Guelfi doesn’t spook defenders with his pressure. ADJ isn’t quite express speed but he’s quick enough to get defenders rushing and to to deliver chase down pressure. It adds to the team.
He doesnt look express but he surprisingly hit one of the fastest speeds over weekend according to afl website.

He doesnt look express but he surprisingly hit one of the fastest speeds over weekend according to afl website.

I'm not sure he's explosive over 3 steps the way some other smalls are, but once he's moving he's got some toe.

McGrath is similar, his top speed is quite good but he takes a bit to get there, whereas Hind and Saad are gas over 5-10m and can open space immediately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back