AFL Player #35: Matt Guelfi - Out for <insert weeks> with a calf strain - 18/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Very easy to fall in love with a player who plays with as much tenacity as he does, but his disposal/decision making tonight was not AFL standard.
It’s probably true...but unless his replacement goes just as hard and has better skills.....then right now, I’ll take his tenacity.

Last edited:
I like his effort but really ordinary disposal. Hopefully he’ll learn to play to limitations or improve. What he does bring to the table though is definitely what we need in the team.

I like his effort but really ordinary disposal. Hopefully he’ll learn to play to limitations or improve. What he does bring to the table though is definitely what we need in the team.
I've wondered whether this has more to do with that classic state league player thing of taking a little while to get used to the tempo at AFL level/figuring out what kicks are achievable.

From the small amount I saw of him at the champs a couple of years ago I thought his kicking was alright. But so far he has been guilty of a few too many rushed slams to the boot.

I've wondered whether this has more to do with that classic state league player thing of taking a little while to get used to the tempo at AFL level/figuring out what kicks are achievable.

From the small amount I saw of him at the champs a couple of years ago I thought his kicking was alright. But so far he has been guilty of a few too many rushed slams to the boot.
It has occurred to me too but his technique could be better. From the little I’ve seen of him at VFL level it’s not a great deal better. I like what he offers but hoping (and assuming) he is working on his skills with extra sessions. Should constantly have a ball in his hand because if he corrects that problem he’ll be far more than just a role player.

I don't really have a problem with his kicking.

We know he can kick bullets, I'd say it's just a confidence issue where he's not kicking through the thing.

He's doing a lot of hacking from congestion at the moment which is always going to result in low kicking efficiency. I wonder if he's playing to instruction particularly against GWS where we basically played wet weather footy, or at least as close as we get to playing wet weather footy.

seems a well rounded player - just a good honest footballer - just lacking a bit of penetration on the kicks - but as has been mentioned, with confidence at the level it may come
Footage of him playing in WA after we drafted him showed a drop punt goal from outside 50 from memory. Shows that the penetration is there. Just needs to hone it I reckon.

Edit: it’s shown on in a link the first page of this thread. Kick seems to go at least 60m straight over goal ump’s head.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's made a few positive errors in the back half that have been brutally pounced on but this bloke is the real deal. Must play as many games as his body will allow.
the one where he was near the goal line/boundary and it ended up going over his shoulder a few seconds later was a bit annoying, but hopefully he's not that deep in defence too many more times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back