AFL Player #35: Matt Guelfi - Out for <insert weeks> with a calf strain - 18/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Given that Guelfi is the pick I’m happy about and I have spoken quite highly of him in the past I figured I may as well write a few words on him.

Matt first caught my eye in the 2016 u18 Championships where he represented Western Australia as a 19 year old. He and Sam Powell-Pepper were the only ones to bring physicality to the WA midfield as they ended up winning 2 games from 4 played. During that time Guelfi managed to showcase his attributes and flaws. Getting the bad stuff out of the way first, he tired a lot towards the end of games and was probably a strong reason as to why he was overlooked last year. He also didn’t have a dominant game, which isn’t a great sign for a overager, nor is he a big accumulator. Guelfi is also on the lighter side for inside mids, so someone at the club should definitely hook him up with a bench and some dumbbells for Christmas. What he did show was that he was an aggressive midfielder with some nice tricks. First of all, he’s a ‘first possession’ type mid, meaning he is very comfortable and winning the ball off the tap and then distributing to a teammate. We really lack this at Essendon, so he really fills a need there. He’s also a really aggressive but fair player and hunts the ball at every opportunity, which is a trait I rate extremely highly for inside mids. However, this is pretty stock standard for inside mids, but now Guelfi starts to get interesting. He has some serious power in his legs, which allows him to break tackles thus buying him some time when moving through traffic. This power is also evident when he played up forward for Claremont as his overhead marking and leap made him a hard match up, where he managed 20 goals in 19 games off a forward flank. Without doubt Guelfi’s biggest strength in my mind is his right boot. Without exaggerating at all, he’s a 60m kick. Take a moment to read that again. He’s also pretty accurate with it too. Although he does have the propensity to go by foot instead of hand in tight so will need to work on that. Guelfi is also very much a team orientated player. He’s the type to block and shepherd for teammates and work hard defensively, which is also something we lack in our midfield. He also seems to fit our agenda of recruiting versatile players, although this versatility has probably cost him some consistency in his junior days. He’s a mid that can rotate forward in my eyes and can be a solid role player at the top level. I think that pretty much covers my thoughts on him.

After being burnt by Morgan a couple of years back hopefully Guelfi can be the player I know he is capable of. I back him in.

Thanks for that, when it comes to Guelfi his positives seem to be well aligned to our needs, by the way you write it he will potentially free up those around him to do the dominating and by the sounds of it he will be good at the 1% like smothering & shepherding and shows a bit of aggression.

like you I liked the bit about him being a 60m kick, that would be a big asset and just adds to our growing list of guys that can kick goals from outside the 50.

By the sounds of it he might be similar to Kobe Mutch.

Is he any better than Bird? Bird was getting high 20s possessions, especially late in the season. Had a ‘triple double’ 30 disposals, 10+ tackles and 10+ clearances in one game.

Yet in the seniors he looked like a lumberjack at a miniature woodcarvers festival

Thanks for that, when it comes to Guelfi his positives seem to be well aligned to our needs, by the way you write it he will potentially free up those around him to do the dominating and by the sounds of it he will be good at the 1% like smothering & shepherding and shows a bit of aggression.

like you I liked the bit about him being a 60m kick, that would be a big asset and just adds to our growing list of guys that can kick goals from outside the 50.

By the sounds of it he might be similar to Kobe Mutch.
Whilst probably a fringe player at best in the AFL, he's definitely one that makes other around him play better.

Mutch is more of an outside leaning accumulator, whilst Guelfi is definitely much more inside and doesn't win as much of the ball. They're both strong overhead and courageous but that's probably where the comparison ends for mine. Guelfi is a tough one to compare to someone given his unique skillset.

Is he any better than Bird? Bird was getting high 20s possessions, especially late in the season. Had a ‘triple double’ 30 disposals, 10+ tackles and 10+ clearances in one game.

Yet in the seniors he looked like a lumberjack at a miniature woodcarvers festival
Very different players. All I'll say is if Guelfi gets 30 touches, he'll be best on by a mile.

Smith, Stringer and Saad added
Langford is very close
Francis is looking in ripping condition*

None are making the 22 anytime soon methinks.
Had we taken Miller, i would think there was a sneaky chance Hooker would go back, Hartley would come out and we'd trial him at FF.
Has the weight, size and pace to come in. And with Joey, Stewart, Stringer, he's not gonna get the best defender straight away.

* EFC Media Dept high-fives.

Given that Guelfi is the pick I’m happy about and I have spoken quite highly of him in the past I figured I may as well write a few words on him.

Matt first caught my eye in the 2016 u18 Championships where he represented Western Australia as a 19 year old. He and Sam Powell-Pepper were the only ones to bring physicality to the WA midfield as they ended up winning 2 games from 4 played. During that time Guelfi managed to showcase his attributes and flaws. Getting the bad stuff out of the way first, he tired a lot towards the end of games and was probably a strong reason as to why he was overlooked last year. He also didn’t have a dominant game, which isn’t a great sign for a overager, nor is he a big accumulator. Guelfi is also on the lighter side for inside mids, so someone at the club should definitely hook him up with a bench and some dumbbells for Christmas. What he did show was that he was an aggressive midfielder with some nice tricks. First of all, he’s a ‘first possession’ type mid, meaning he is very comfortable and winning the ball off the tap and then distributing to a teammate. We really lack this at Essendon, so he really fills a need there. He’s also a really aggressive but fair player and hunts the ball at every opportunity, which is a trait I rate extremely highly for inside mids. However, this is pretty stock standard for inside mids, but now Guelfi starts to get interesting. He has some serious power in his legs, which allows him to break tackles thus buying him some time when moving through traffic. This power is also evident when he played up forward for Claremont as his overhead marking and leap made him a hard match up, where he managed 20 goals in 19 games off a forward flank. Without doubt Guelfi’s biggest strength in my mind is his right boot. Without exaggerating at all, he’s a 60m kick. Take a moment to read that again. He’s also pretty accurate with it too. Although he does have the propensity to go by foot instead of hand in tight so will need to work on that. Guelfi is also very much a team orientated player. He’s the type to block and shepherd for teammates and work hard defensively, which is also something we lack in our midfield. He also seems to fit our agenda of recruiting versatile players, although this versatility has probably cost him some consistency in his junior days. He’s a mid that can rotate forward in my eyes and can be a solid role player at the top level. I think that pretty much covers my thoughts on him.

After being burnt by Morgan a couple of years back hopefully Guelfi can be the player I know he is capable of. I back him in.

Hmmm, low accumulator, good at blocking/shepherding, team man, long kick, from WA........folks we have our David Myers replacement!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he looked good pre-injury. thought he did well on Anzac Day.
Sure, McNeice looked OK. But the small defender role is hardly his for the keeping. If The Goo Elf has the discipline, courage, ability in the air, and kicking skills to blossom in that role there's an opening for him to grab.

Sure, McNeice looked OK. But the small defender role is hardly his for the keeping. If The Goo Elf has the discipline, courage, ability in the air, and kicking skills to blossom in that role there's an opening for him to grab.
agree
we have selection headaches as it is with Saad, Gleeson, McKenna, Ambrose capable of playing small & McGrath an option.
Plus Redman and Jerrett looking ok for depth.

So he has pace, good endurance, good leap, accurate long kick, adds grit, can play any role including inside mid where he will block, tackle, run defensively and win clearances.

Gee, new draftees all sound like superstars, even at pick 76 in the 3rd chance saloon.

All the best Matt, look forward to seeing how you go.

So he has pace, good endurance, good leap, accurate long kick, adds grit, can play any role including inside mid where he will block, tackle, run defensively and win clearances.

Gee, new draftees all sound like superstars, even at pick 76 in the 3rd chance saloon.

All the best Matt, look forward to seeing how you go.
Which is why I question his ability to be anything but a role player. If he has some competitiveness and discipline to go with his kicking skills and overhead ability then give him a role as small defender from the get-go and develop him with a real focus. No more throwing him around in different positions. He has 2 years to establish a role in our side.

Don't they all
At least this guy is "an inside midfielder by trade". I'm glad that at least 1 has been added to the list. Bonus points for being able to play team-based football and being able to roost it a mile. I see these as good starting attributes although there is still a long, long way to go. (admittedly all players look like 'must-have's after you watch the highlight reel).

Which is why I question his ability to be anything but a role player. If he has some competitiveness and discipline to go with his kicking skills and overhead ability then give him a role as small defender from the get-go and develop him with a real focus. No more throwing him around in different positions. He has 2 years to establish a role in our side.
Yeh I don't pay much attention at this time of year. Just wait to watch him play.
He's on the list now, so has good a chance as everyone else to do something with it.

Seems like a role player who may have limited impact at AFL level - My only rider is some players ' grow another leg ' in a full time professional environment.

I've never seen a player make it with 3 legs but I don't watch as much these days so I may have missed a few

Remove this Banner Ad

Back