AFL Player #35: Matt Guelfi - Out for <insert weeks> with a calf strain - 18/3

Remove this Banner Ad

It has everything to do with where you should probably set your expectations, especially for a fresh draftee.

If Guelfi was a top five pick, well then you'd probably be a bit underwhelmed. But considering where he was drafted, relative to that you'd have to be pretty happy with what you've seen so far.

What does his draft number have anything to do with how well he plays?

Nothing mate. Long should have been pick 12 and should have 100 games already :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll let you decide who has had the better careers.

Hocking or David Myers

Hocking because he played 6 AFL standard years in which he played 17 to 22 games a year. Not because he is a great story as a battler/s**t truck who was lucky to play AFL footy for as long as he did which must be what you were getting at.

Why de-value the standard of Hocking's performances because he was a rookie or whatever low pick he was?

He simply played better or the equivalent footy much more often. Unlike so many of his counterparts (i.e. shitty cult hero players who fans love because they give their all) Hocking was a genuinely good defensive player.

Last edited:
Hocking because he played 6 AFL standard years in which he played 17 to 22 games a year. Not because he is a great story as a battler/s**t truck who was lucky to play AFL footy for as long as he did which must be what you were getting at.

Why de-value the standard of Hocking's performances because he was a rookie or whatever low pick he was?

He simply played better or the equivalent footy much more often. Unlike so many of his counterparts (i.e. shitty cult hero players who fans love because they give their all) Hocking was a genuinely good defensive player.

Was more inferring draft positions. Guelfi is being let go because of his draft position. If he was a top 20 pick his output would be judged more harshly. Was not having a go at you, am actually agreeing somewhat with you. Couldnt think of an apt comparison still around our recent list who forged out a decent career who was a low pick (bar the Ben Howlett one that has been done to death).

I actually tent to agree that last night was Guelfi's first game this year where he look like an AFL standard player for the most parts of the game. Not flashes of brilliance which he had done for his first 10 games. A well rounded game is all I ask for and last night he delivered. Fingers crossed he can bring that sort of effort for the remaining weeks of the season and entrench himself in a position and well within the best 22.

I think he has the tools to build a solid career with us. I don't think he'll ever be our best player, but I would much rather have players like him in the side with the right attitude.

Very stiff not to get a nom this week.
If he missed I just assumed that it would be for Phillips from St. Kilda who put in a very good game too. I'm sitting here wondering what the hell a Sam Taylor is?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back