Player Watch #35: Nathan Broad

Remove this Banner Ad

Markov is the obvious one , needs to play himself into the side though ,,,,Bolton or naish are a couple that may come hard for a HBF role , we ll soon see ,, they potentially offer more in offence rebounding from 50 if that’s what we re looking for
Markov looked a class above late last year in the ressies. Broad offers way more defensively but way less offensively. I have always like Broad for his ability to get to contests and compete, a bit like Grimes, but he will need to add a fair bit more offensively to keep his place. Grimes did it last season, so why not Broad. His spot is the shakiest I think.
If there are injuries or form losses, Markov looks well ready to play. He showed a heap in his first year, in a year when we played very poorly,'17 was ruined by injury and lack of opportunity. He could also play wing. Menadue is another who can play both positions, and he has to cut it this year or you would think goodbye.

If Vlas, Houli or Short had to miss a game. Markov is
reckon Broads main competition will come from Balta, he's quicker, a better mark, distributes by foot better, has a booming kick, is more agile, can pinch hit in the ruck and is more flexible where he can play ie; very handy off the wing and very dangerous up forward.
I'd rather see Balta being considered replacement for Grigg. We've got back depth covered with Garth, Markov, Ellis. Even Kmac played there a couple of years ago.

I'd rather see Balta being considered replacement for Grigg. We've got back depth covered with Garth, Markov, Ellis. Even Kmac played there a couple of years ago.
Maybe...I reckon this year a player's early form in the trial matches will have a very big bearing on who plays where...
Really need to smartly utilize the up and coming talent and form...

I reckon the back half really trust Broad and gives them the confidence to be flexible and play it off the cuff during the game.
Hard to believe he’d only played 12 games for us up to the Grandfinal

As with a number of our players, it'll be interesting to see them with about 80-100 games into them. Kane Lambert is a classic example....I agree with your comments above though...

As with a number of our players, it'll be interesting to see them with about 80-100 games into them. Kane Lambert is a classic example....I agree with your comments above though...
Broad while new to AFL is hardly a junior.He turns 26 just a few weeks into the footy season. What you see now is basically what you will get.

I ask myself who on the list has the same sort of attributes as Alex Rance. Simple answer is Balta. Rance is now a vet and going by his religious beliefs in the past i cant see him going much past 30 yrs of age.

We have a slow solid citizen in Astbury who performs a role. We have Miller who has size and strength and looks like he is more an Astbury than a Rance. Then we have Garthwaite a 192cm 90kg defensive tall who imo looks more suited to a third tall role than playing on big key fwds at the level. He may well become a kpd who knows but he certainly does not have Rances or Balta's athleticism or size. If Balta makes it his attributes suggest he could be a better all round player than Rance.

Balta, Garthwaite and Miller are logical long term replacements for Astbury, Rance and Grimes/Broad. If anything id say Astbury could be in the gun to a degree.

We have two top notch key fwds. we need to draft a longer term partner for Lynch when Riewoldt retires.We have a third tall type in Moore who has shown he is more than good enough at VFL level but needs to make the step up to the top level.

Broad while new to AFL is hardly a junior.He turns 26 just a few weeks into the footy season. What you see now is basically what you will get.

I ask myself who on the list has the same sort of attributes as Alex Rance. Simple answer is Balta. Rance is now a vet and going by his religious beliefs in the past i cant see him going much past 30 yrs of age.

We have a slow solid citizen in Astbury who performs a role. We have Miller who has size and strength and looks like he is more an Astbury than a Rance. Then we have Garthwaite a 192cm 90kg defensive tall who imo looks more suited to a third tall role than playing on big key fwds at the level. He may well become a kpd who knows but he certainly does not have Rances or Balta's athleticism or size. If Balta makes it his attributes suggest he could be a better all round player than Rance.

Balta, Garthwaite and Miller are logical long term replacements for Astbury, Rance and Grimes/Broad. If anything id say Astbury could be in the gun to a degree.

We have two top notch key fwds. we need to draft a longer term partner for Lynch when Riewoldt retires.We have a third tall type in Moore who has shown he is more than good enough at VFL level but needs to make the step up to the top level.
Rance is only 29 and signed on until 2021. If his religion was a restriction , why would he have signed for so long? Maybe he retires earlier than 2021. Rance took a drop in pay so we could get the big tuna to the club & leads the league in intercept marks. Big shoes to fill. Speaking of big shoes, it is agreed that Garth has grown to 195+. If hope they get games into Garth if and when Astbury or Rance miss. Astbury in the gun? I don't agree. If anything Broad may get offers to go back West (despite being contracted). Balta would be a good replacement for Broad. Its going to be very hard to break into our backline. Houli is older than them all & his 2018 wasn't that great. Maybe Balta beats Markov to Houli's spot. And we have a taller backline.

Rance is only 29 and signed on until 2021. If his religion was a restriction , why would he have signed for so long? Maybe he retires earlier than 2021. Rance took a drop in pay so we could get the big tuna to the club & leads the league in intercept marks. Big shoes to fill. Speaking of big shoes, it is agreed that Garth has grown to 195+. If hope they get games into Garth if and when Astbury or Rance miss. Astbury in the gun? I don't agree. If anything Broad may get offers to go back West (despite being contracted). Balta would be a good replacement for Broad. Its going to be very hard to break into our backline. Houli is older than them all & his 2018 wasn't that great. Maybe Balta beats Markov to Houli's spot. And we have a taller backline.
Rance has already gone close to giving the game away because of his religion and his family.They are a devout lot and for most, their church comes first. can you really see him playing on much after 30 31 yrs of age. 2021 could well be his last yr so that gives us three yrs to find and get 50 or so games into his replacement. Please dont tell me his replacement is Garthwaite they are poles apart when it comes to athletic ability. The last time i looked he has already helped get the big tuna to the club.

Cant agree on Garthwaites height either, Who agreed hes grown a massive 4cm or 5 cm in 12months not me. It will be interesting to see what height he actually is. Go and look up the average growth spurt of males after 18 yrs of age.There are exceptions but it is a small number who actually grow more than one or two cm. Even if true Garthwaite is no Rance not by some margin he is more of a Astbury. In this just maybe Astbury the slow poke is in the gun.
I dont know how many times people have said so and so has grown to such and such and it just hasnt been so. So please excuse me if i wait for the opportunity to look for myself.
Fmd just one example everyone was telling me Conca was 185cm for yrs when it was patently clear he wasnt.JR for yrs was listed at 195 by the club but isnt.

Broad is going to get offers to go home hmm. so whos spot across h/b at both freo and wce is he going to take.He will have to reinvent himself at age 26 to do so.

Finally you are joking arent ya.Your happy to see one of the most promising young Kpps that we have and lets face it they dont grow on trees and we are not exactly over flowing with them play as a hbflanker in a role that you could probably perform.
Me im looking 3 or 4 yrs down the track and Balta really is imo a key defender who may give us exactly what Rance gives us now, plus more. Yet again he may fall on his arse and fail like an awful lot of kids do and id have egg all over my face.

Rance has already gone close to giving the game away because of his religion and his family.They are a devout lot and for most, their church comes first. can you really see him playing on much after 30 31 yrs of age. 2021 could well be his last yr so that gives us three yrs to find and get 50 or so games into his replacement. Please dont tell me his replacement is Garthwaite they are poles apart when it comes to athletic ability. The last time i looked he has already helped get the big tuna to the club.

Cant agree on Garthwaites height either, Who agreed hes grown a massive 4cm or 5 cm in 12months not me. It will be interesting to see what height he actually is. Go and look up the average growth spurt of males after 18 yrs of age.There are exceptions but it is a small number who actually grow more than one or two cm. Even if true Garthwaite is no Rance not by some margin he is more of a Astbury. In this just maybe Astbury the slow poke is in the gun.
I dont know how many times people have said so and so has grown to such and such and it just hasnt been so. So please excuse me if i wait for the opportunity to look for myself.
Fmd just one example everyone was telling me Conca was 185cm for yrs when it was patently clear he wasnt.JR for yrs was listed at 195 by the club but isnt.

Broad is going to get offers to go home hmm. so whos spot across h/b at both freo and wce is he going to take.He will have to reinvent himself at age 26 to do so.

Finally you are joking arent ya.Your happy to see one of the most promising young Kpps that we have and lets face it they dont grow on trees and we are not exactly over flowing with them play as a hbflanker in a role that you could probably perform.
Me im looking 3 or 4 yrs down the track and Balta really is imo a key defender who may give us exactly what Rance gives us now, plus more. Yet again he may fall on his arse and fail like an awful lot of kids do and id have egg all over my face.
So your saying you may end up with egg on your face?!?...maybe your right!!

I would much rather have Balta groomed to play the Shaun Grigg role
That would be a massive point of difference in our team and give ups so much more flexibility and create a headache for opposition teams and their structures

Balta is a CHB in waiting. Could and possibly should play there this year. He is physically ready and looks a gun, easily better than Rance at the same stage with very Rance like qualities. Rance can play any position in the backline. Garthwaite is also a good prospect, very similar to Astbury and has grown to 195cm (that is only 3cm from draft camp when he was 17-18 so not hard to believe). People with tall genes keep growing longer than normal, just ask Prestia.
But it looks like they are training Balta to play as Lynch/Riewoldt backup this season, so he may have to be patient.

Rance has already gone close to giving the game away because of his religion and his family.They are a devout lot and for most, their church comes first.
Serena Williams is a JHW and running around at the age of 37. Female, having babies and No. 1 in the world. Back in 2015, there was an article saying that Rance might retire. Have heard nothing since. Except that he signed on until 2021.
can you really see him playing on much after 30 31 yrs of age. 2021 could well be his last yr so that gives us three yrs to find and get 50 or so games into his replacement. Please dont tell me his replacement is Garthwaite they are poles apart when it comes to athletic ability. The last time i looked he has already helped get the big tuna to the club.

Cant agree on Garthwaites height either, Who agreed hes grown a massive 4cm or 5 cm in 12months not me. It will be interesting to see what height he actually is.
1546812850621.png
Look at the pic above. Garth is slightly shorter than Chol. So is KPD size. Which is good replacement for Astbury mainly.
Go and look up the average growth spurt of males after 18 yrs of age.There are exceptions but it is a small number who actually grow more than one or two cm. Even if true Garthwaite is no Rance not by some margin he is more of a Astbury. In this just maybe Astbury the slow poke is in the gun.

I said he MIGHT. I have no idea who is on who's list. In this day and age contracts aren't relly binding anyhow

I've seen Balta play one game of VFL football. Our team that day had 3 or 4 promising young KP players, Garth, Moore, Miller & Balta and hardly any senior games amongst them. I look at our who is going to be leaving our senior team and I see in order Houli, Grigg, leaving before Rance and JR. So I look at a players like Cripps, 193 tall midfielders, and WISH that we could have someone like that. Oh, hang on we replace Grigg or KMac wiith Balta and my dream comes true. Now he might be a defender now but if proves to be able to play wing/midfield. Using a talented footballer ASAP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Riley Collier-Dawkins turns 19 next month. From 17 to 19 he grew from 185cm to 193cm, and is still apparently growing. To say that Garth could not go from 192 (the year he was drafted) to 195cm 18 months later is odd. Cripps grew 20cm in his draft years (16-18). Garth played on some of the biggest strongest players in VFL last year and more than held his own, so he is definitely a key back. Leppitch and Mel Micheal were 191cm and 190cm, both were keys although the forwards weren't as tall as some today.

Riley Collier-Dawkins turns 19 next month. From 17 to 19 he grew from 185cm to 193cm, and is still apparently growing. To say that Garth could not go from 192 (the year he was drafted) to 195cm 18 months later is odd. Cripps grew 20cm in his draft years (16-18). Garth played on some of the biggest strongest players in VFL last year and more than held his own, so he is definitely a key back. Leppitch and Mel Micheal were 191cm and 190cm, both were keys although the forwards weren't as tall as some today.
Anybody thats under 196cm is a 3rd tall - Apparently

Didnt say he cant grow 3 or 4 cm or that it does not happen but it really is rare after a certain age for males to grow more than 1 or 2 cm.
Until we get an official height i will go by what he is officially listed at which is what i have always done.More often than not players are shorter than what clubs list them at. At the end of the day we are talking an inch or two it really is neither here nor there. AS you point out and i have done the same many times using Mal Michael as an example that player at 190cm can and do play kp on bigger opponents.

Leppa was 191cm but a whopping 97kg. Michael was 190cm and an even bigger 100kg. these blokes while both genuine talls at 190cm were giving plenty away at times to opponents in height .Where they made up for it was with size and power which enabled them to out body opponents.They were also pretty quick off the mark.
Simply put to me a third tall is a player on the shorter end of the scale 190cm - 200cm+ and they dont have the size power to compete with the bigger tall players.
Officially at the moment Garthwaite is listed at 192cm and 91kg. At Afl level he is giving away a hell of a lot of height and size and ATM IS MORE SUITED to playing on third tall types. To compete against Big fwds he will need other attributes not the least a lot more size.

Its not rocket science instead of asking him to stand say Cox at 211cm and over 100kg or a Jenkins at 199cm and 100kg or a Hawkins at 198cm and close to 100kg or even a shorter Taylor Walker who at 195cm is closer to his height but is 100kg. No your not. Your going to look to play him on a Gunston 193cm 87kg or a Stringer at 192cm 92kg. These blokes are to me third tall types a similar height and size to Garthwaite atm.

No one will happier than me if Garwaite has had a growth spurt and he puts on size. Finally our own club has said regularly that he is a player who can play on talls and smalls that sort of suggests they are looking at him more as a Grimes than a power defender.

I would much rather have Balta groomed to play the Shaun Grigg role
That would be a massive point of difference in our team and give ups so much more flexibility and create a headache for opposition teams and their structures

100% this. If Balta can put it all together and take Griggs role the benefits for us are going to be huge.

Hybrid wingman, would be a handful to match up on.

provides another marking target between the arcs meaning Lynch / Riewoldt can stay a bit deeper for the next kick, which will open up the ground a bit for us.

Didnt say he cant grow 3 or 4 cm or that it does not happen but it really is rare after a certain age for males to grow more than 1 or 2 cm.
Until we get an official height i will go by what he is officially listed at which is what i have always done.More often than not players are shorter than what clubs list them at. At the end of the day we are talking an inch or two it really is neither here nor there. AS you point out and i have done the same many times using Mal Michael as an example that player at 190cm can and do play kp on bigger opponents.

Leppa was 191cm but a whopping 97kg. Michael was 190cm and an even bigger 100kg. these blokes while both genuine talls at 190cm were giving plenty away at times to opponents in height .Where they made up for it was with size and power which enabled them to out body opponents.They were also pretty quick off the mark.
Simply put to me a third tall is a player on the shorter end of the scale 190cm - 200cm+ and they dont have the size power to compete with the bigger tall players.
Officially at the moment Garthwaite is listed at 192cm and 91kg. At Afl level he is giving away a hell of a lot of height and size and ATM IS MORE SUITED to playing on third tall types. To compete against Big fwds he will need other attributes not the least a lot more size.

Its not rocket science instead of asking him to stand say Cox at 211cm and over 100kg or a Jenkins at 199cm and 100kg or a Hawkins at 198cm and close to 100kg or even a shorter Taylor Walker who at 195cm is closer to his height but is 100kg. No your not. Your going to look to play him on a Gunston 193cm 87kg or a Stringer at 192cm 92kg. These blokes are to me third tall types a similar height and size to Garthwaite atm.

No one will happier than me if Garwaite has had a growth spurt and he puts on size. Finally our own club has said regularly that he is a player who can play on talls and smalls that sort of suggests they are looking at him more as a Grimes than a power defender.
Reckon Garth might have put on a few kg's over the 91 listed and has that defensive mindset. Doesn't get moved off the ball once he plants his feet and in that I think he is closer to Asbury than Rance. It's all semantics anyway, we'll know shortly when we get a good look JLT or training pics.

1546916162009.png

Callum Coleman Jones 200cm & 100kgs when he was drafted 14 months ago so you would think he has not gotten any shorter
Kane Lambert 178 cm - Pretty safe to say he would be exact
Ryan Garthwaite - 192cm 91 kgs ??? Really I would say 195/196 and at least 95/96kgs

I dont need official stats on the website

Reckon Garth might have put on a few kg's over the 91 listed and has that defensive mindset. Doesn't get moved off the ball once he plants his feet and in that I think he is closer to Asbury than Rance. It's all semantics anyway, we'll know shortly when we get a good look JLT or training pics.

Hit the nail on the head here mate with one word

Mindset.

He’s the type of player who is willing to put his body on the line to ensure opp dosent retain the ball or score he had a save in one of the games he played last year (can’t remember what one) where he just lunged sideways at the ball to stop a goal
It’s the type of thing Grimes and Rance do extremely well and is what them top tier defenders

So your saying you may end up with egg on your face?!?...maybe your right!!
Wont be the first time wont be the last.

If hes as big as people say great im just going by what info the club puts out.If hes a kpp even better.
He certainly defends well one v one but im not sure if that will translate at Afl against the bigger fwds going around.IF hes now 195cm and IF he is around 95kg+ then that gives him a better chance of competing against the Cox's Jenkins Hawkins etc of this world. If hes what people say he is id have no problem at looking at him in Astbury's spot in the JLT.

I still think looking fwd Balta is the logical replacement for Rance. Miller if he makes it a logical fit for Astbury and Garthwaite the Broad replacement with the added bonus of beig able to play kp.

I reckon Coleman -Jones is a ruckman and i think Chol more chance at making it as a ruckman than a kpf. Moore dare i say it projects more as a Third tall than a kpf at afl level.Its just my opinion it doesnt mean im right about any of it.

Again just my opinion with Balta, Miller and Garthwaite on the list we have an ideal number of tall defenders and a good succession plan in place for once.
I reckon we need to do a bit more as far as key fwds goes.

If hes as big as people say great im just going by what info the club puts out.If hes a kpp even better.
He certainly defends well one v one but im not sure if that will translate at Afl against the bigger fwds going around.IF hes now 195cm and IF he is around 95kg+ then that gives him a better chance of competing against the Cox's Jenkins Hawkins etc of this world. If hes what people say he is id have no problem at looking at him in Astbury's spot in the JLT.

I still think looking fwd Balta is the logical replacement for Rance. Miller if he makes it a logical fit for Astbury and Garthwaite the Broad replacement with the added bonus of beig able to play kp.

I reckon Coleman -Jones is a ruckman and i think Chol more chance at making it as a ruckman than a kpf. Moore dare i say it projects more as a Third tall than a kpf at afl level.Its just my opinion it doesnt mean im right about any of it.

Again just my opinion with Balta, Miller and Garthwaite on the list we have an ideal number of tall defenders and a good succession plan in place for once.
Yes it is not often you feel going into a season that Richmond have something to look forward to in the big man dept. It will take another year, although Garth looks ready and Balta looks a star. I thought we are light on for inside mids and the draft was all about inside mids this year.

He already toweled up Hawkins once, what more do you want? :p

I reckon he could take over Astburys role when needed for sure. I was actually hoping we picked him in the PF last year on the back of Astbury being crook.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back