Player Watch #35: Nathan Broad

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Reckon him and Caddy got caught doing something they shouldn’t have been doing
I think that’s a bit of bollocks to pick up and run with , I love cads However I dont reckon the coaches share same view when putting his magnet on the board for a wing V Marlion and macca who both have pace and put yards in ea time they get it. With Broady can only think that with Balta coming in and markov showing quite a bit who also has pace and dash that being a defensive defender he is one too many we can afford to play .
Shame about cads as I reckon he has much to offer and has versatility to play a few roles

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Broad is no lock, (Mopsy and I have been chatting). He has had a reasonable season but with Markov and Balta in, his roll has been overtaken by players who are faster than him, his main attribute, a better tall in Balta and a better rebounder in Markov. Whether Markov can stay in is yet to be seen. Another injury and Broad is first in.

Feb 13, 2006
Just beyond the horizon.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RFC VFL
Broad is no lock, (Mopsy and I have been chatting). He has had a reasonable season but with Markov and Balta in, his roll has been overtaken by players who are faster than him, his main attribute, a better tall in Balta and a better rebounder in Markov. Whether Markov can stay in is yet to be seen. Another injury and Broad is first in.
Broad was always one of the first in line to get "upgraded" on. Just doesn't get the ball which means all he's doing is spoiling. You gotta have more strings to your bow. He's stepped up this year, hopefully this forces him to step up again.

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
and add Houli , Short & Baker it's a traffic jam for spots in the back line

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Broad was always one of the first in line to get "upgraded" on. Just doesn't get the ball which means all he's doing is spoiling. You gotta have more strings to your bow. He's stepped up this year, hopefully this forces him to step up again.

broad does put in yards to be an outlet player , often see him on his bike getting across the ground for the switch option
him always doing that does stretch the opposition structures (role play)
and when he is chosen as the outlet he pretty much goes for a 25 - 40 mtr pass , almost floater like , but seems like a low turn over rate for his disposals

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
broad does put in yards to be an outlet player , often see him on his bike getting across the ground for the switch option
him always doing that does stretch the opposition structures (role play)
and when he is chosen as the outlet he pretty much goes for a 25 - 40 mtr pass , almost floater like , but seems like a low turn over rate for his disposals
As DW has said, he has upped his game so he is right on the cusp. The comparison the MacIntosh and even Graham are fair. They only can play one spot and in a full side, all three have been on or are on the cusp.

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
There’s no doubt that if you’d put Broady in a GWS Giants guernsey, and he’d achieved the same things with them as he has with us over the last 3-4 years, there’d be a bidding war for him. We’d be talking 1st round trade pick and $3M over 4-5 years in his contract.

For some reason players seem a lot sexier having been lured out of GWS or Gold Coast, despite achieving far less as players or bringing far less IP with them.

Jul 8, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
There’s no doubt that if you’d put Broady in a GWS Giants guernsey, and he’d achieved the same things with them as he has with us over the last 3-4 years, there’d be a bidding war for him. We’d be talking 1st round trade pick and $3M over 4-5 years in his contract.

For some reason players seem a lot sexier having been lured out of GWS or Gold Coast, despite achieving far less as players or bringing far less IP with them.
Dunno about that. Brandon Ellis is reportably on a 5 year contract at 600k per year at the Suns.

JackGraham

If he kicks it we win
Nov 1, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Lets play spot Broady...

spotbroady.jpg

Ahh, happy days....

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Dunno about that. Brandon Ellis is reportably on a 5 year contract at 600k per year at the Suns.
I don’t get your point? Ellis was a free agent - there was no draft pick from the Suns whatsoever. The end-of-second-rounder we got was a compensation pick (that we wouldn’t even have got if we had ourselves got a free agent).

For some reason, perhaps because they were often originally high draft picks, Suns and Giants players seem to command a higher price tag trade-wise than more decorated Richmond players. Dylan Shiel went for two first round picks, for chrissake, with questionable decision making, execution and durability.

The expression “role player” is too often used in almost a derogatory way about our premiership Tigers.

TBH Houli was quiet after qtr time. Great first qtr though. Broad must be 1st emergency right now. Although Dave's return pushes Marvov out too.

Dave moves Balta, who moves Grimes, who moves ....

We almost have 2 AFL quality backlines. It's amazing really.

Back