Past Sam Naismith - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

r0_0_2864_1655_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Sam Naismith
An ACL rupture and a long list of complications wiped out Sam Naismith’s 2018 and 2019 seasons, fuelling the hunger of the chief Sydney Swans ruckman for a comeback 2020 campaign. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product is an excellent tap ruckman who’s shown promising glimpses since being drafted in November 2012, particularly as Sydney powered towards the 2016 Grand Final. The New South Welshman had always worn the number 35 before switching to the number 10 for season 2020 in search of a fresh start.

Sam Naismith
DOB: 16 July 1992
DEBUT: 2014
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2015 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rebeti

Rookie
Aug 15, 2009
windsor
AFL Club
Sydney
List management is complex,but when Nankervis left Sydney for opportunities elsewhere he was behind Tippett,Naismith and Sinclair.Toby ,with the benefit of hindsight has proven to be durable and consistent at the tiges and is one player we underestimated who we would value greatly as a Ruck/Fwd.Signing Naismith to a 3 year extension was a big list management call considering his injuries.The irony is exacerbated further because Richmond were interested in Naismith before they settled with Nankervis.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
List management is complex,but when Nankervis left Sydney for opportunities elsewhere he was behind Tippett,Naismith and Sinclair.Toby ,with the benefit of hindsight has proven to be durable and consistent at the tiges and is one player we underestimated who we would value greatly as a Ruck/Fwd.Signing Naismith to a 3 year extension was a big list management call considering his injuries.The irony is exacerbated further because Richmond were interested in Naismith before they settled with Nankervis.
Nank was always going to be heading south. Nothing ironic about it.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney

Yup, there was a lot going around that he didn't want to be up in Sydney at all and even if he had been higher up the ruck pecking order at the time he would have been seeking a move to Melbourne.

Yep it's really just luck. Obviously of the lot Nankervis would be the best, but it's just tough luck that the best and most durable one of the bunch is the one who wanted to go home. I still don't get the crisis mode tbh. We haven't had a really good tap ruck since Darren Jolly, who played his last game for us a decade ago. In that time we've had the raw Mike Pyke, two toilers with average tap abilities in Mumford and Sinclair, a bloke who can't seem so stay on the park in Naismith, a ruck who was better as a forward in Tippett, and a bloke who few of us rated in Derickx. It didn't hold us back in 2012 or 2014 or 2016, shouldn't hold us back now. We need to just hope our mids read the taps and work better than their opposition in tight, and also hope that Sinclair can remain injury-free.

The only potential crisis is Aliir rucking. He gets injured and it's a disaster.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Fail to see where it says he’s ******!

It really doesn’t.

Google tells me the procedure itself is about a 6 week recovery, so obviously depending on other issues he could still be back sometime after the midway point of the season (allowing for a 6-8 week training block post recovery).

Imo I doubt we will see him at senior level this year
If Sinclair remains fit we should not see him at senior level. He'll get picked regardless

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Just get him a new titanium knee. Good enough for my gran. Good enough for him I say.
Terrible news for our season (and him obviously).
I blame those appalling jeans he gets around in - more a rip with a bit of jean than jeans with a rip.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back