Player Watch - #36 Aliir Aliir - contract extended to 2021 | BigFooty

Player Watch #36 Aliir Aliir - contract extended to 2021

Discussion in 'Sydney' started by P Kelly Legend, Nov 21, 2013.

1. P Kelly Legend

P Kelly Legend Team Captain

Sydney
    • ALIIR ALLIR Welcome
      DOB: 05/09/1994 Height: 196cm Weight: 90kg

• Move over Majak Daw

For so long the poster boy of all that can be multi-cultural about the Australian game, Majak Daw now has company. Sydney's decision to draft another Sudanese, Aliir Aliir, has the potential to be one of the game's feel-good stories. Born in a refugee camp in Kenya as his family fled the war in Sudan, the 19-year-old grew up in Queensland but was passed over in last year's draft. He moved to WA to reunite with his family, who had moved there. At new club East Fremantle, he was converted from an undersized ruckman into a defender. It has won him an AFL contract. Importantly, he'll get time to develop further at the Swans.

‘‘It’s a great story but it is important to get across too that he has not been selected because he is a great story, we think he has the potential to come through as a key defender in time,’’ Swans recruiting manager Kinnear Beatson said.

‘‘In 2012 he played in the ruck for Queensland and just ran around and this year after moving to Perth he played back in the WAFL, so it is the first year that he has played back, and then another game this year for East Fremantle he pushed forward and kicked five goals.’’

PLAYER ASSESSMENT
      Born in Kenya of Sudanese heritage, Aliir is a tall defender who has developed into a rebounding defender. Can also go forward and kick goals. Strong overhead with good natural leap. Moved from Queensland to WA this year and has represented both states in the AFL Under-18 Championships in the past two years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. RW

RW Premium Platinum

Sydney
    2013 Stats
    Comp P K* H* M* G
    U18s 4 5.3 4.3 2.5 0
    WAFL Colts 13 8.3 6.2 3.6 6

*Average

Source: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/aliir-aliir

Article in The Age (Emma Quayle): Teamwork finds Aliir a family (May 16, 2013)

Source: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/teamwork-finds-aliir-a-family-20130515-2jmur.html

3. RUNVS

RUNVS Hall of Famer

Sydney
    [​IMG]

The inside word
    Born in Kenya of Sudanese heritage, Aliir is a tall defender who has developed into a rebounding defender. Can also go forward and kick goals. Strong overhead with good natural leap. Moved from Queensland to WA this year and has represented both states in the AFL Under-18 Championships in the past two years.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/aliir-aliir

Aliir Aliir (WA – KPD)
    Height: 196cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 05/09/1994
    Recruited from: East Fremantle
    Style:
    Player comparison:
    Range: Rookie - undrafted
    Profile: Raw, athletic key defender. Closing speed good. He’s quick and can run and carry. Ball use by hand and foot poor. Average 1v1. Ability to read it in the air poor.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2013-phantom-draft.983436/

Not a very complimentary description but seems like he has the raw tools to be a good key defender. Also according to Sheehan he is always smiling so that is a a tick with his personality.

4. RW

RW Premium Platinum

Sydney
    Guys it looks like BigFooty is slow tonight because of the extra traffic, so it might look like your post/thread hasn't gone through, just be patient. Have merged the duplicate threads into one.

5. RaZoRBlad3

RaZoRBlad3 Senior List

Sydney
    I'm probably most excited about this guy based on the video I've seen. Doesn't appear as raw as his profile has him to be. Could become a very good player for us I reckon, if not for our abundance of KPF, I reckon he could be awesome as a forward.

6. swansfan51

swansfan51 Moderator

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    The Exers
    Reminds me greatly of Casey Sibosado. His potential was talked up by people including Emma Quayle who listed him as one of her top 25 draft prospects in 2008 because he looked "different" and "exciting". Had fantastic athleticism. Spent 3 years on Fremantle's list, achieving nothing, and now plays in the WAFL reserves.

mtooler likes this.
  7. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd A Vote for Clive is a Vote for Justice

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
    Very similar to Alex Rance from the tigers, disposal by foot isnt too clean but he plays within his limits

8. doona

doona SMFC

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Brumbies

draft night

9. P Kelly Legend

P Kelly Legend Team Captain

Sydney

thats your four post running him down and he hasn't booked a ticket to sydney yet. give it a rest and lets see how it plays out, genius.

10. swansfan51

swansfan51 Moderator

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    The Exers
    If anyone else who has actually watched the guy play wants to add some input, feel free. I don't see you volunteering.

And if I compared him with Sibosado 2 years ago you would have said it was a massive compliment, as he was being talked up for great things. Settle.

mtooler likes this.
  11. CAS79

CAS79 Brownlow Medallist

Sydney
    How much of role in this decision would be Paul Bevan's?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. mtooler

mtooler Premiership Player

Sydney
    Beatson reckons we wont rookie a kpd so Alir is all we're getting. :O

13. grimlock

grimlock Hall of Famer

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Liverpool, NSW
    Right now our list has the same balance as the 2013 list. 38 seniors and 7 rookies (assuming Perris and P.Mitchell are rookied).

14. swansfan51

swansfan51 Moderator

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    The Exers
    What's the maximum list size? I just had the feeling we had several spaces left

15. grimlock

grimlock Hall of Famer

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Liverpool, NSW
    You can adjust the number of senior listed and CAT A rookies but I think the ultimate maximum is 47
    e.g.
    38 senior listed + 6 CAT A rookies + 3 CAT B rookies; or
    40 senior listed + 4 CAT A rookies + 3 CAT B rookies

BarneyBent can confirm.

16. MarkP

MarkP That guy

Sydney
    meh. Junk pick. Complete crap shoot and guessing.

Wish the kid luck and hope he settles well in Sydney.

wocbond likes this.
  17. Superstar swan

Superstar swan Brownlow Medallist

Sydney
    I'm encouraged by his highlight package. Seems to have very good pace and likes to take the game on.

Sketi likes this.
  18. mtooler

mtooler Premiership Player

Sydney
    Hey Grim, when Beatson was interviewed post draft he acknowledged list spaces but said they didnt intend on filling them. He joked saying Swans need to loosen their purse strings.

19. Ed_Gein

Ed_Gein You are nex !

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    LFC, BVB, Rangers, Valencia, Storm

I'll take your word for it on Sibosado, but Aliir hasn't been talked up in the same i imagine. Most would have said he would have been lucky to be rookie listed. He is young and extremely raw but we'll have 3 years to work with him to see if he'll make it.

Anyway, apparently next years draft is going to have some very good talls in it, so not a complete loss on missing out on who we were after today.

Anyone else think we were after Giles or Kolodjashnij?

20. YorshireSwan

YorshireSwan Club Legend

Sydney
    I think the key was in what Beatson said in his SEN interview which was along the lines of ... "we will only be taking 2 more selections which are both our committed rookie picks for Perris and Mitchell (IR) unless the powers that be give me more money to play with"

21. robbieando

robbieando Moderator

Sydney

Maybe Kolojashnij but not Giles after we passed on him twice knowing Carlton were sniffing after him

22. Swansujelly

Swansujelly Norm Smith Medallist

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    NBA, Woodville,
    He wants Tippett, but has to compete with the $ West Adelaide are paying him. That's my take on it.

23. YorshireSwan

YorshireSwan Club Legend

Sydney
    I don't doubt that he doesn't want him, but my take was that we don't have the cap space to fit him in

24. Heeney2Franklin

Heeney2Franklin Brownlow Medallist

Sydney
    Can we ask Vlad for a COLA raise?

swansfan51 and westcoastswan like this.
  25. Swansujelly

Swansujelly Norm Smith Medallist

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    NBA, Woodville,
    mine too.