Past Aliir Aliir - traded 2020, to Port

Remove this Banner Ad

tKFgZSau.jpg

Aliir Aliir

Player Profile

Aliir Aliir is a key defender with elite intercept-marking skills who generates a wealth of drive out of the Sydney Swans’ backline. Although he’s just 25, the 2013 draftee is now one of the Swans’ most experienced backmen after the retirement of champion defenders Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith. Aliir’s height, excellent verticle leap and cat-like movement around the footy also make him a handy option as a back-up ruckman. Born in Kenya to Sudanese parents, Aliir is an inspiration to kids from diverse backgrounds starting a new chapter in Australia. Draft history: 2013 AFL Draft 3rd round selection (Sydney) No. 44 overall.

Aliir Aliir

DOB: 05 September 1994
DEBUT:2014
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Aspley (Qld)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited:
Be careful what you wish for. It sounds as if you’re almost inviting me to talk about him non-stop until Friday night :$
Well, tbh, that was pretty much what I was expecting, along with a trumpets, marching band and dancing girls! :p

Please do not link McChump with the two champs.
Oi! Leave DangerMouse alone! Insulting using McChump.

Benny was as tough as nails and a very smart footy player who got the most out of himself. He deserved a medal in 2012 if not for injury after being a key cog in our year.

If not for the depth in his preferred role early & injury later he'd have racked up more formidible stats maybe being more visible &/or developed into that more "flashy" midfield game that I think he had in him... Instead, he played a team first role rotating forward.

McChump is as far from Ben McGlynn as you could get mate. Very very poor call by you IMO.

Oi! Leave DangerMouse alone! Insulting using McChump.

Benny was as tough as nails and a very smart footy player who got the most out of himself. He deserved a medal in 2012 if not for injury after being a key cog in our year.

If not for the depth in his preferred role early & injury later he'd have racked up more formidible stats maybe being more visible &/or developed into that more "flashy" midfield game that I think he had in him... Instead, he played a team first role rotating forward.

McChump is as far from Ben McGlynn as you could get mate. Very very poor call by you IMO.
Yes, yes, YES!!!!!
Absolutely loved the angry ant and how anyone can call him a chump is beyond me.

But this is the Alliir thread so perhaps we should get back to discussing how the next three years of the anointed ones presence at the club will unfold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic again. Our most important player right now

He was our best again tonight but teams can play through him as he tries to sag off his opponent to intercept. Nothing against him because he's pretty much all we have right now, but I'm looking forward to seeing him develop over the next few years to the point where he can pick his spots even better.

Played great tonight in a badly beaten team. Hope he can carry on in this vein of form till the end of the season, then get a solid pre-season under his belt leading into last season. Don't want a repeat of 2017, as we will need him big time next season.

Bump just because.

An absolute gun. We talk about Buddy’s six goals carrying us to victory. Aliir has been carrying us for the last two months. Take away how good individually he has been and it’s actually alarming that he’s basically one of only two Swans to play at a high quality consistently for six straight weeks (the other being Florent leading up to the bye) in the whole 2018 season. We can talk about the coach and the game plan and injuries but really the lack of form across the whole list is the real hurdle for us.

Aliir’s the only depth player who has come in and really taken his opportunity with both hands. I wish Towers, Robinson, Newman etc could do the same.

Interesting listening to Buckley in the post-match conference

"We thought we had an answer to Franklin (??!), we thought we had an answer to Aliir..."

He's already a weapon that coaches are planning to nullify. Buckley went on to explain that shifting Mihocek back was costly as he was apparently controlling Aliir’s influence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back