Past Aliir Aliir - traded 2020, to Port

Remove this Banner Ad

tKFgZSau.jpg

Aliir Aliir

Player Profile

Aliir Aliir is a key defender with elite intercept-marking skills who generates a wealth of drive out of the Sydney Swans’ backline. Although he’s just 25, the 2013 draftee is now one of the Swans’ most experienced backmen after the retirement of champion defenders Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith. Aliir’s height, excellent verticle leap and cat-like movement around the footy also make him a handy option as a back-up ruckman. Born in Kenya to Sudanese parents, Aliir is an inspiration to kids from diverse backgrounds starting a new chapter in Australia. Draft history: 2013 AFL Draft 3rd round selection (Sydney) No. 44 overall.

Aliir Aliir

DOB: 05 September 1994
DEBUT:2014
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Aspley (Qld)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited:
I had a feeling he was going to have a s**t game as I knew the Hawks would be too smart to let him intercept all night. Didn't predict he'd be quite this bad though
Maybe he just had an off night. His hands were so poor and ga
He's been good for a month. To blame him is pretty unfair. Defending a lead again just doesn't work
He was poor. Drops the ball cold numerous times. Lack of awareness. Only blame with the coaches was that he was allowed to stay out there.

People have bad games, he had one but he didn’t lose it for us. Some people expect him to be great but he’s only played 20 games or thereabouts?

That first dropped mark dead in front set off a bit of a chain reaction hey. Looked like he was second guessing himself the rest of the match. Needs some Brett Kirk mindfulness guidance.

That first dropped mark dead in front set off a bit of a chain reaction hey. Looked like he was second guessing himself the rest of the match. Needs some Brett Kirk mindfulness guidance.

Holy Buddha. Don't set the Dalai Lamington's chief disciple on him.

Yeah it was a poor skill error but it’s no different than missing goal from 15m out dead in front. It happens, look at Hayward’s miss tonight from 5m on the angle (he should’ve run in more).

Yeah it was a poor skill error but it’s no different than missing goal from 15m out dead in front. It happens, look at Hayward’s miss tonight from 5m on the angle (he should’ve run in more).

Aye Hayburner could have had 3 in the 2nd quarter. Played well in my view but not his night as it turned out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How dare a 27-gamer have a bad game!

Aliir is probably the type whose game suffers the most from the SCG. He’s a player who is excellent at creating and covering space. But there is no space at the SCG. You can’t run across to help out a fellow defender because there’s no space to run in to. You also can’t really be creative with your decision making because the congestion basically requires you to take the first and most obvious option, which is why we struggle to make any plays happen.

He's inexperienced sure and will learn but the problem I have is that his mistakes are basic defence errors that are being repeated. Losing his player on the lead, holding too long and being caught, taking eye off the ball for a soft mark, lack of positional awareness. Last night was a pretty sub standard performance which is another feature - really good when he's on and absolute crap when he's not. Doesn't seem to be a middle ground

How dare a 27-gamer have a bad game!

Aliir is probably the type whose game suffers the most from the SCG. He’s a player who is excellent at creating and covering space. But there is no space at the SCG. You can’t run across to help out a fellow defender because there’s no space to run in to. You also can’t really be creative with your decision making because the congestion basically requires you to take the first and most obvious option, which is why we struggle to make any plays happen.

So there is no space due to the ‘small ground’ (overrated) but you can’t cover the ground to assist on a ‘smaller’ surface?

That doesn’t make any sense...

Our problem is probably too many players trying to assist and nobody staying down for the ground ball.

So there is no space due to the ‘small ground’ (overrated) but you can’t cover the ground to assist on a ‘smaller’ surface?

That doesn’t make any sense...

Our problem is probably too many players trying to assist and nobody staying down for the ground ball.

You can’t assist effectively because you have no space to lead into the pack with pace and force. It suits players like Sinclair, because they’re just tall and can stand like a tree trunk and impact a contest without really doing much.

You can’t assist effectively because you have no space to lead into the pack with pace and force. It suits players like Sinclair, because they’re just tall and can stand like a tree trunk and impact a contest without really doing much.

Sorry mate I reckon that is nonsense. Just poor excuses. Aliir had a really poor game. He has been great recently but I am not going to hang him for one bad game with his experience.

Sorry mate I reckon that is nonsense. Just poor excuses. Aliir had a really poor game. He has been great recently but I am not going to hang him for one bad game with his experience.

Not excuses. I hate how we play the SCG and most of Aliir’s best games have not been on it. Think of Melbourne at the MCG, Essendon at Etihad.. going back to 2016, GWS at ANZ, Geelong in Geelong, St Kilda at Etihad. They would be his best games off the top of my head because he used the time and space to great effect. Granted he needs to learn to adjust week by week because every ground and every opponent and every set of conditions is different. That will come in time.

I know you disagree on the impact of the SCG but keep in mind I’m not just pulling this out of my back side after every loss. In 2016 while many on here were celebrating having all of our home games here I was pretty vocal about how I didn’t think the ground would suit us in coming years with the players we were bringing in. Well those years have come and exactly what I feared would happen has happened.

Not excuses. I hate how we play the SCG and most of Aliir’s best games have not been on it. Think of Melbourne at the MCG, Essendon at Etihad.. going back to 2016, GWS at ANZ, Geelong in Geelong, St Kilda at Etihad. They would be his best games off the top of my head because he used the time and space to great effect. Granted he needs to learn to adjust week by week because every ground and every opponent and every set of conditions is different. That will come in time.

I know you disagree on the impact of the SCG but keep in mind I’m not just pulling this out of my back side after every loss. In 2016 while many on here were celebrating having all of our home games here I was pretty vocal about how I didn’t think the ground would suit us in coming years with the players we were bringing in. Well those years have come and exactly what I feared would happen has happened.

I think the grounds are a bit overrated generally speaking. They all have four posts at each end, 50m arcs and a 50x50 square though I do agree that I think they have tweaked the gameplan to work better on the bigger grounds (which given the flag is won on the MCG not necessarily the wrong move).

I do wonder though whether it is a matter of focus for us. At home, come from your house, outside distractions etc. When we go away, in the bubble less outside local distractions and better focus on the game.

Something we need to work on. Perhaps the players need to stay in a hotel and get a bus in together for home games too lol

I think the grounds are a bit overrated generally speaking. They all have four posts at each end, 50m arcs and a 50x50 square though I do agree that I think they have tweaked the gameplan to work better on the bigger grounds (which given the flag is won on the MCG not necessarily the wrong move).

I do wonder though whether it is a matter of focus for us. At home, come from your house, outside distractions etc. When we go away, in the bubble less outside local distractions and better focus on the game.

Something we need to work on. Perhaps the players need to stay in a hotel and get a bus in together for home games too lol

I dunno but it’s baffling how we are so often out played and/or incapable of playing well on the ground we play on every second week and train on every week. We generally do all the things you shouldn’t do on a smaller ground which leads me to believe it’s deliberate. You can’t tell me we don’t have a completely different approach in our recent games at the G, or in Geelong, than we do when at home? It’s like two completely different Swans teams.

I dunno but it’s baffling how we are so often out played and/or incapable of playing well on the ground we play on every second week and train on every week. We generally do all the things you shouldn’t do on a smaller ground which leads me to believe it’s deliberate. You can’t tell me we don’t have a completely different approach in our recent games at the G, or in Geelong, than we do when at home? It’s like two completely different Swans teams.

I don’t know mate. I mean as total area SCG is bigger than Geelong and Etihad. Maybe it is in our heads that it is smaller and therefore we play with a bit less dare.

Next year will be very interesting, we will only be allowed to train on SCG once a week due to the heavy usage the ground will be getting.

I don’t know mate. I mean as total area SCG is bigger than Geelong and Etihad. Maybe it is in our heads that it is smaller and therefore we play with a bit less dare.

I think you’re right there. It’s also much wider than Geelong, and we seems to want to use that width to our advantage. While I’m no expert, if we took on the corridor more often, with a short ground, it could only take two or three possessions to get from defence to our forward 50. How can our coaching staff (all of them not just Horse) not have devised a way to capitalise on such an obvious potential advantage for us?

I think you’re right there. It’s also much wider than Geelong, and we seems to want to use that width to our advantage. While I’m no expert, if we took on the corridor more often, with a short ground, it could only take two or three possessions to get from defence to our forward 50. How can our coaching staff (all of them not just Horse) not have devised a way to capitalise on such an obvious potential advantage for us?
Okay well let’s take your concept it is a small ground in length. Maybe only 10m worst 15m shorter than the biggest ground.

Then the answer is very easy. We turn the ball over too much, and the shorter distance from goal to goal sees us be more conservative because we don’t trust ourselves to hit the targets. If we do go through the corridor and turn it over, then it is only a long kick deep into forward 50. Therefore we expose ourselves.

On the longer grounds we have more confidence because it’s a longer kick to a dangerous position within the oppositions forward line and maybe the mistakes aren’t as costly.

I think it’s all in their heads as I think 10-15m difference isn’t that important in the grand scheme of things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back