Past Aliir Aliir - traded 2020, to Port

tKFgZSau.jpg

Aliir Aliir

Player Profile

Aliir Aliir is a key defender with elite intercept-marking skills who generates a wealth of drive out of the Sydney Swans’ backline. Although he’s just 25, the 2013 draftee is now one of the Swans’ most experienced backmen after the retirement of champion defenders Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith. Aliir’s height, excellent verticle leap and cat-like movement around the footy also make him a handy option as a back-up ruckman. Born in Kenya to Sudanese parents, Aliir is an inspiration to kids from diverse backgrounds starting a new chapter in Australia. Draft history: 2013 AFL Draft 3rd round selection (Sydney) No. 44 overall.

Aliir Aliir

DOB: 05 September 1994
DEBUT:2014
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Aspley (Qld)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited:
Okay well let’s take your concept it is a small ground in length. Maybe only 10m worst 15m shorter than the biggest ground.

Then the answer is very easy. We turn the ball over too much, and the shorter distance from goal to goal sees us be more conservative because we don’t trust ourselves to hit the targets. If we do go through the corridor and turn it over, then it is only a long kick deep into forward 50. Therefore we expose ourselves.

On the longer grounds we have more confidence because it’s a longer kick to a dangerous position within the oppositions forward line and maybe the mistakes aren’t as costly.

I think it’s all in their heads as I think 10-15m difference isn’t that important in the grand scheme of things.

I agree with all of that, but the change in the way we play at home vs everywhere else has been a recurring theme for the last two years, even before that. When will we learn? And by we, I mean our players and coaching staff

Aliir got off to a bad start and mentally never recovered. He did not look to be that keen on getting to contests. He had a really bad game, not a half. Unfortunately his errors led to points against. We need to back him on though for the first final, he will recover from that performance, you just cannot hide how bad it was, and in my opinion, he was the worst swan out there because of the errors. There were times in each quarter where you could see players were hesitant about whether or not to give him the ball, which led to other errors.

I really hope he owns that performance, it will make him better in the long term. It is what it is......our challenge is to get behind him and keep hoping he takes the game on as we have become accustomed to seeing.

He will bounce back, he is a very important. albeit young, member of our squad and I cant wait to see his response in 2 weeks time.

Next year will be very interesting, we will only be allowed to train on SCG once a week due to the heavy usage the ground will be getting.

Training on the ground doesn't seem to be helping. So this won't be an issue next year.

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
What the **** were channel 7 doing showing a low-lights reel? I don't recall them ever using low-lights to single out a player, let alone a ******* 27-gamer.
Watching the low light reel you could wonder how he got to 27 games.
Can’t have it both ways though, he got plaudits for his game against Daw so when he spuds it up it comes back the other way.

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
Honestly one of the worst games I’ve ever seen by a Swans player. Absolute disaster for him. Hope he bounces back because that wasn’t acceptable. You could argue that he cost us a top 4 spot.

Honestly one of the worst games I’ve ever seen by a Swans player. Absolute disaster for him. Hope he bounces back because that wasn’t acceptable. You could argue that he cost us a top 4 spot.
You could argue that a dozen different things cost us a top four spot.
Quite simply top four wasn't meant to be and blaming one young bloke with under 30 games to his name is pretty lame IMO.

Downhill Skier

Team Captain
Aug 21, 2018
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Inter , Padres
Had a mare of a game. Hopefully he can get a few cheapies early in the game against GWS to get his confidence back because he looked like a deer in the headlights out there the other night

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Had a mare of a game. Hopefully he can get a few cheapies early in the game against GWS to get his confidence back because he looked like a deer in the headlights out there the other night

Do you really want him in the team after that debacle? ......because I don't.

Downhill Skier

Team Captain
Aug 21, 2018
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Inter , Padres
Do you really want him in the team after that debacle? ......because I don't.

I thought about it and yeah I do . He had an absolute shocker on the weekend but has been one of our best performers over the last month , he deserves a second chance.

Thinking long term dropping him could completely shatter his confidence. I want to see what he can do in a big final .

Some of the comments here are hilarious!

Without Aliir's efforts over the past 6 weeks, do we even finish top 8?

I dont think I have ever seen this board flip the switch on a player after one game quite like what is happening in this thread.

I thought about it and yeah I do . He had an absolute shocker on the weekend but has been one of our best performers over the last month , he deserves a second chance.

Thinking long term dropping him could completely shatter his confidence. I want to see what he can do in a big final .
This ^^^^ My thoughts are that hopefully he learns from his mistakes the other night and realises his limitations, something that I think he tended to do as the game wore on.

Nebley

Debutant
Sep 1, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Absolutely amazed at some of the comments here. I thought he had a few really poor moments and precious few good ones, one of his poorer games, but keep in mind the conditions were never going to suit him. I agree with everyone pointing out that it was one poor game, and whilst his average rating would have taken a knock from it it's probably still higher than a lot of the rest of the team.

Aliir should of played in a premiership

Seems to make you above criticism

Hannebery and Jack etc seem to have endless credits with the fan base despite playing absolute shithouse footy for most of the last 2 years

Aliir had a poor half

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Agree it wasn't, but I don't think that the poor bloke should be dumped on his ass for one poor performance.

There is a pattern though. When he's compelled to defend one on one he struggles. He's great at intercept and contested marking and rebounding but all the essential defender skills are weak- tracking and spoiling a lead, positional play, not getting caught with ball, taking eye off ball on easy marks.

So my view is it's not just one performance. The weaknesses are there but masked by what good he does when he does. I would say that is why he has languished in reserves so long. My view of him has changed- no longer a huge supporter because he fails at defending except limited skill sets

There is a pattern though. When he's compelled to defend one on one he struggles. He's great at intercept and contested marking and rebounding but all the essential defender skills are weak- tracking and spoiling a lead, positional play, not getting caught with ball, taking eye off ball on easy marks.

So my view is it's not just one performance. The weaknesses are there but masked by what good he does when he does. I would say that is why he has languished in reserves so long. My view of him has changed- no longer a huge supporter because he fails at defending except limited skill sets
He did well as our only tall defender against GWS the week before. I don't think he's yet suited to being the #1 defender, but his performances over the past 6 weeks have been exceptional. One poor game doesn't undo the outstanding job he's done this season.

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
He did well as our only tall defender against GWS the week before. I don't think he's yet suited to being the #1 defender, but his performances over the past 6 weeks have been exceptional. One poor game doesn't undo the outstanding job he's done this season.

Seems I'm a minority lol I'll watch him more closely next game to check myself

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
Quite simply top four wasn't meant to be and blaming one young bloke with under 30 games to his name is pretty lame IMO.
Oh you know what I meant! I was specifically talking about the Hawks game. If he played well we probably win, he's just that vital to our success now. His decision making or lack thereof led to 3 goals. He had a shocker but he'll bounce back. No way am I writing him off as some are suggesting just calling him out on a terrible performance in a crucial game.

Back