Past Aliir Aliir - traded 2020, to Port

Remove this Banner Ad

tKFgZSau.jpg

Aliir Aliir

Player Profile

Aliir Aliir is a key defender with elite intercept-marking skills who generates a wealth of drive out of the Sydney Swans’ backline. Although he’s just 25, the 2013 draftee is now one of the Swans’ most experienced backmen after the retirement of champion defenders Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith. Aliir’s height, excellent verticle leap and cat-like movement around the footy also make him a handy option as a back-up ruckman. Born in Kenya to Sudanese parents, Aliir is an inspiration to kids from diverse backgrounds starting a new chapter in Australia. Draft history: 2013 AFL Draft 3rd round selection (Sydney) No. 44 overall.

Aliir Aliir

DOB: 05 September 1994
DEBUT:2014
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Aspley (Qld)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
This is a good point. I would love to see the constraints taken off. He is safer but less damaging and playing well inside his limitations.

I disagree wholeheartedly - he's never been more impactful as a player than he is right now. I think the coaches have done brilliantly to get him to play a more well-rounded game and he's done brilliantly to heed their message and improve himself defensively.

Last edited:
I disagree wholeheartedly - he's never been more impactful as a player than he is right now. I think the coaches have done brilliantly to get him to play a more well-rounded game and he's done brilliantly to heed their message and improve himself defensively.

I think he is playing very well. However I believe he is playing with one foot on the brake. Releasing that brake to enable his attacking qualities would improve his game to the benefit of the team.

I think he is playing very well. However I believe he is playing with one foot on the brake. Releasing that brake to enable his attacking qualities would improve his game to the benefit of the team.

His game has had to change with the introduction of the new 6-6-6 rules.

We are no longer afforded the same luxury of having a loose player in defense at all times which curbs his ability to zone off his opponent.

Also taking Grundy out of our defense was always going to have an affect on this, as it forces Aliir to take one of the oppositions main forwards.

Personally I think he is doing a sterling job right now.

His game has had to change with the introduction of the new 6-6-6 rules.

We are no longer afforded the same luxury of having a loose player in defense at all times which curbs his ability to zone off his opponent.

Also taking Grundy out of our defense was always going to have an affect on this, as it forces Aliir to take one of the oppositions main forwards.

Personally I think he is doing a sterling job right now.

Yes. You may be right about the loss of Reg and 666.

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Realistically he can still improve. He's been the irresponsible dasher, now he is taking on leadership and responsibilities. I think the flair will slowly work itself back into his game over the next few seasons and he will be an absolute stunning chb.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I completely agree. I think he's matured as a player this year. He seems to know when to play on and when not to, when to attempt to hit up a short target and when to kick long down the line.

He's a much smarter player.

This is a good point. I would love to see the constraints taken off. He is safer but less damaging and playing well inside his limitations.

Not sure how much more he could do to convince you he's at full capacity. I think he's struck the balance perfectly between knowing when to spoil, knowing when to play his man, knowing when to cut loose and help out a team mate, knowing when to leave his man to take the intercept. Last year I felt he was playing pretty cautious footy which was still impressive but not the Aliir we knew he could be.

But his form is so good right now he's incredibly difficult to get past, but still has the confidence to go off on a gallop or crash a pack (ie the flashy things the commentators love.) I think the commentators wish he could just play that style of spectacular footy all the time, so they could hype him up and then tear him down when he's exposed because of it, like they did with McGovern against us a few weeks ago.

Top 5 maybe. I’d rate him behind in no particular order Papley, Rampes and Hewett

yeah give or take, right up there though imo

id guess lloyd is in there too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool

Agree with this, his attacking play through the centre in 2016 was a major part in getting to a grand final

Unfortunately this aspect has been coached out of his game and he has a tendency to kick shorter and wider now

IMO it’s Sir Dane & Hewett then a whooole lotta daylight.

But Parker or Lloyd will still nab it.

I think a lot of people are really underestimating just how good Parker has been this year. He would be closer to the top two than most people realise.

I think a lot of people are really underestimating just how good Parker has been this year. He would be closer to the top two than most people realise.

He had some average games early though

He had some average games early though

Some average games, not as many as others are reporting. His recent form has been astonishing and if he keeps it up he will be right in contention.

I still think his currently behind Rampe and Hewitt but just not by as much as some people think.

Some average games, not as many as others are reporting. His recent form has been astonishing and if he keeps it up he will be right in contention.

I still think his currently behind Rampe and Hewitt but just not by as much as some people think.

Astonishing is a stretch.

IMO no one on our list has been astonishing except Sir Dane.

Astonishing is a stretch.

IMO no one on our list has been astonishing except Sir Dane.

Parkers form over the last 8 games would be close to all Australian. In that time he has really only had one down week (Against Brisbane). He is also leading our side for tackles, clearances and center clearances for the season.

He’s had a good year just thinking why he might not be top 2

He will probably be favourite to win if we keep form going

He’s had a good year just thinking why he might not be top 2

He will probably be favourite to win if we keep form going

I agree his not top two right now, but if his form continues then he most likely will be at the end of the year.

Will see how he goes once Kennedy is back in the side (Personally I think he has thrived without him oddly enough).

I agree his not top two right now, but if his form continues then he most likely will be at the end of the year.

Will see how he goes once Kennedy is back in the side (Personally I think he has thrived without him oddly enough).

Parker has been very good as skipper

Rampe has really too just the odd brain fade

Parkers form over the last 8 games would be close to all Australian. In that time he has really only had one down week (Against Brisbane). He is also leading our side for tackles, clearances and center clearances for the season.

To each their own. I wouldn’t even have him as our best midfielder right now let alone All Australian.

But back on topic..... without Aliir and Sir Dane this year there is no doubt in my mind we would be 18th on the ladder with a single win over Carlton.

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
What? Hewett is doing great but isn't close to Parker's level. And that's the only midfielder I can even conceive of putting in the same ball park.

Parker has more influence in every statistical category. Hewett has one fewer clanger per match, and is generally tidier with his possessions, but Parker still has more total effective disposals because he gets more of the ball. They are equal on tackles but Parker has more marks, more goals, more score involvements, more goals assists, more contested and more uncontested possessions. And he sets the standard for aggression and attack on the ball and is a leader. Hewetts been amazing. Genuinely excellent, love the guy. But he isn't within cooeee at this stage.

To each their own. I wouldn’t even have him as our best midfielder right now let alone All Australian.

But back on topic..... without Aliir and Sir Dane this year there is no doubt in my mind we would be 18th on the ladder with a single win over Carlton.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Back