Past Aliir Aliir - traded 2020, to Port

Remove this Banner Ad

tKFgZSau.jpg

Aliir Aliir

Player Profile

Aliir Aliir is a key defender with elite intercept-marking skills who generates a wealth of drive out of the Sydney Swans’ backline. Although he’s just 25, the 2013 draftee is now one of the Swans’ most experienced backmen after the retirement of champion defenders Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith. Aliir’s height, excellent verticle leap and cat-like movement around the footy also make him a handy option as a back-up ruckman. Born in Kenya to Sudanese parents, Aliir is an inspiration to kids from diverse backgrounds starting a new chapter in Australia. Draft history: 2013 AFL Draft 3rd round selection (Sydney) No. 44 overall.

Aliir Aliir

DOB: 05 September 1994
DEBUT:2014
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Aspley (Qld)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited:
What? Hewett is doing great but isn't close to Parker's level. And that's the only midfielder I can even conceive of putting in the same ball park.

Parker has more influence in every statistical category. Hewett has one fewer clanger per match, and is generally tidier with his possessions, but Parker still has more total effective disposals because he gets more of the ball. They are equal on tackles but Parker has more marks, more goals, more score involvements, more goals assists, more contested and more uncontested possessions. And he sets the standard for aggression and attack on the ball and is a leader. Hewetts been amazing. Genuinely excellent, love the guy. But he isn't within cooeee at this stage.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

To each their own.

The bolded are the only stats you listed that are relevant to me, because I maintain that Parker should be a forward.

As I said a few weeks ago, I would take 20-25 of Hewett's possessions any day of the week over 25-30 of Parker's.

But I'd rather not get into this cyclic back and forth about Parker again, especially in the Aliir thread.

Parker would absolutely be top 5 in the Skilton atm.

I reckon top 10 would be something like:

1. Rampe
2. Hewett
3. Parker
4. Papley
5. Aliir
6. Lloyd
7. Heeney
8. Dawson
9. Kennedy
10. Florent
I think Lloyd would be higher... definitely top 5 imo. Has had a very consistent year.

Elite intercept marker, you would think before long that all teams will try to forward tag him to prevent his influence in this area.

Before last night, AFL's leading intercept marks.

• J.McGovern 43
  • A.Aliir 40
  • P.Davis 40
  • A.Keath 37
  • N.Haynes 35
  • J.Weitering 34
  • J.Sicily 32
  • M.Hurley 31
  • M.Gawn 31
  • H.Andrews 31
  • L.Ryan (FRE) 31
  • N.Vlastuin 30
  • L.Casboult 30
  • J.Howe 30

Elite intercept marker, you would think before long that all teams will try to forward tag him to prevent his influence in this area.

Before last night, AFL's leading intercept marks.

• J.McGovern 43
  • A.Aliir 40
  • P.Davis 40
  • A.Keath 37
  • N.Haynes 35
  • J.Weitering 34
  • J.Sicily 32
  • M.Hurley 31
  • M.Gawn 31
  • H.Andrews 31
  • L.Ryan (FRE) 31
  • N.Vlastuin 30
  • L.Casboult 30
  • J.Howe 30
And uses the punch as an attacking weapon at times too. There were a few examples last night when he got only negated the contest, but got the ball a good 15-20m back in our direction, completely clearing their crumbles.

Last edited:
I understand him not being picked this round considering how good we were last week, too hard to drop anyone, and you have to honour Kennedy.

He has to be picked soon though, or you would assume that he would want out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On reflection not a bad trade given he’s a pre-agent. Its pretty clear his current contract is unders, therefore he would go for nothing next year. Shame though it’s going to be late 30’s, which will probably go straight to west coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back