Past Aliir Aliir - traded 2020, to Port

Remove this Banner Ad

tKFgZSau.jpg

Aliir Aliir

Player Profile

Aliir Aliir is a key defender with elite intercept-marking skills who generates a wealth of drive out of the Sydney Swans’ backline. Although he’s just 25, the 2013 draftee is now one of the Swans’ most experienced backmen after the retirement of champion defenders Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith. Aliir’s height, excellent verticle leap and cat-like movement around the footy also make him a handy option as a back-up ruckman. Born in Kenya to Sudanese parents, Aliir is an inspiration to kids from diverse backgrounds starting a new chapter in Australia. Draft history: 2013 AFL Draft 3rd round selection (Sydney) No. 44 overall.

Aliir Aliir

DOB: 05 September 1994
DEBUT:2014
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Aspley (Qld)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited:
Even if that is the case, why waste a whole year by voluntarily not playing a best 22 player ?
Hey caesar88, a few of your posts this year have indicated to me that you are an Aliir fan:eek:;), and I was just wondering if you are a Sydney boy? I mean do you live here, do you get to see him at all the reserve games live? Get to attend training sessions? Do you have some information that is not currently out there? I get that you think he was dropped unnecessarily, what I don't understand is why you so desperately want him back in the team right now...

I believe that he is contacted to end of 2018, and with only 8 rounds to go in the H&A season, I can't really see him getting back in unless through injury. Would it really be so bad for him to continue to develop this year in the 2s, get a full preseason under his belt in 2018 and come storming back into the best 22 then?

Just asking, not ragging...:)

EDIT: Feel free to ignore this post as I just go to the bottom on page 14 and find it's been discussed to death!

willym

Debutant
May 21, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Hey caesar88, a few of your posts this year have indicated to me that you are an Aliir fan:eek:;), and I was just wondering if you are a Sydney boy? I mean do you live here, do you get to see him at all the reserve games live? Get to attend training sessions? Do you have some information that is not currently out there? I get that you think he was dropped unnecessarily, what I don't understand is why you so desperately want him back in the team right now...

I believe that he is contacted to end of 2018, and with only 8 rounds to go in the H&A season, I can't really see him getting back in unless through injury. Would it really be so bad for him to continue to develop this year in the 2s, get a full preseason under his belt in 2018 and come storming back into the best 22 then?

EDIT: Feel free to ignore this post as I just go to the bottom on page 14 and find it's been discussed to death!

As another massive Aliir stan I don't think anyone needs to have secret info to support his spot in the team. I think loads of people reckon he should have a spot purely from what we saw that year.

Everyone sees things differently, but what I saw last year was a mix of Rhyce/Heath Shaw and Harry Taylor. An intercept marking beast who can start an attack from the defensive 50. I personally reckon he has more potential than anyone on our roster other than Heeney and Mills.

As another massive Aliir stan I don't think anyone needs to have secret info to support his spot in the team. I think loads of people reckon he should have a spot purely from what we saw that year.

Everyone sees things differently, but what I saw last year was a mix of Rhyce/Heath Shaw and Harry Taylor. An intercept marking beast who can start an attack from the defensive 50. I personally reckon he has more potential than anyone on our roster other than Heeney and Mills.
Settle, petal! You and caesar88 are entitled to your opinions... I never suggested that you weren't.

My post was clearly directed to caesar88, whom I have read and enjoyed on BF for the last few years, but not always agreed with (which imo, is half the fun!). This year, he appears to be stuck on Aliir, and I wondered if there was a reason that I wasn't aware of... My post wasn't an attack on him or his opinions, and if he perceived it as that way, I would offer my apologies.

I for one, am pretty glad we don't determine our best 22 by potential alone.

I am an Aliir fan, but no more so than I am of several other Swans (Sir Dane, Hanners, Heeney, Jones, Sammy the Dinosaur etc.) Maybe it's just me being over-dramatic but I'm pretty concerned that a clear member of our best 22 is not getting selected. He's clearly best 22. He'd be in every single person's best 22 at the end of last year, and even in round 2 ahead of his comeback game. Only now that he's been dropped (unfairly) and had a discipline issue (which he was rightly punished for), everyone has come out of the woodworks with their complaints about how not up to scratch Aliir is. It's a funny change of tune that kind of bothers me tbh. I have heard it all.

I do rant a lot about Aliir but as a Swans fan all I want is to see our best 22 fit and healthy and firing every week to the best of their ability. The fact we have a coach who is blatantly disregarding an obvious best 22 player is just baffling to me. As long as any member of the best 22 is not getting the faith they deserve, I'll vouch for them. Even someone I'm not that keen on or don't rate that highly, like Reid, I would be furious about if they were unfairly dropped.

a clear member of our best 22 is not getting selected

On current form, he simply is not. You should not get selected in the seniors on a player you were the season before or who you use to be. Should Laidler be best 22 because he use to be in our best 22? Look at someone like Newman, he got dropped and absolutely dominated reserves to put his hand back up to get selected and took the opportunity with 2 hands, he forced horses hand to keep him in the team. Aliir simply is not doing that, not to mention when getting selected he missed the match through disciplinary reasons.

If Aliir was best 22, he would be in our 22. He has the ability to be best 22 from what we saw last year but quite frankly he is not at that level. Maybe 2nd year blues after breaking through last year.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
On current form, he simply is not. You should not get selected in the seniors on a player you were the season before or who you use to be. Should Laidler be best 22 because he use to be in our best 22? Look at someone like Newman, he got dropped and absolutely dominated reserves to put his hand back up to get selected and took the opportunity with 2 hands, he forced horses hand to keep him in the team. Aliir simply is not doing that, not to mention when getting selected he missed the match through disciplinary reasons.

If Aliir was best 22, he would be in our 22. He has the ability to be best 22 from what we saw last year but quite frankly he is not at that level. Maybe 2nd year blues after breaking through last year.
Also all this talk about Aliir I feel has been detracting away from Melican. He has been growing very well this year. I'm looking forward to Melican's game this week after he did want Aliir was known for, broke through the play and caused a rebound.

This post is funny

This post is funny

Why is it funny? Because I think Aliir is not best 22 at the moment because he is not playing well/forcing horses hand this season? s**t, we should try and see if the AFL will let us have a mid-season signing and bring in X. Richards as he played well at the end of last year.

I really don't think he was giving the time to recapture last years form imo!!
There were times last year that we , myself included that were saying he was going to be all Aus in the future, s**t some were saying that if he played the gf it might of been a different outcome.
I hope he can get back because there isn't many players in the comp that are like him with his upside.

I still think he is a better senior player than reserved player as strange as that sounds!!

I don't think he is s fowsrd either

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I really don't think he was giving the time to recapture last years form imo!!
There were times last year that we , myself included that were saying he was going to be all Aus in the future, s**t some were saying that if he played the gf it might of been a different outcome.
I hope he can get back because there isn't many players in the comp that are like him with his upside.

I still think he is a better senior player than reserved player as strange as that sounds!!

I don't think he is s fowsrd either

Not silly imo, happens to a lot of players in many sports. I was one of them, especially at Cricket

willym

Debutant
May 21, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Settle, petal! You and caesar88 are entitled to your opinions... I never suggested that you weren't.

My post was clearly directed to caesar88, whom I have read and enjoyed on BF for the last few years, but not always agreed with (which imo, is half the fun!). This year, he appears to be stuck on Aliir, and I wondered if there was a reason that I wasn't aware of... My post wasn't an attack on him or his opinions, and if he perceived it as that way, I would offer my apologies.

I for one, am pretty glad we don't determine our best 22 by potential alone.

Oh dude I didn't think it was an attack at all!! I was literally just saying that as someone that agrees with the view that Aliir should be in the top 15 selected each week, this is why etcetera. Wasn't trying to come off aggressive in the slightest!

I can see why people prefer other players - I just reckon people undervalue aspects of his game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

willym

Debutant
May 21, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I am an Aliir fan, but no more so than I am of several other Swans (Sir Dane, Hanners, Heeney, Jones, Sammy the Dinosaur etc.) Maybe it's just me being over-dramatic but I'm pretty concerned that a clear member of our best 22 is not getting selected. He's clearly best 22. He'd be in every single person's best 22 at the end of last year, and even in round 2 ahead of his comeback game. Only now that he's been dropped (unfairly) and had a discipline issue (which he was rightly punished for), everyone has come out of the woodworks with their complaints about how not up to scratch Aliir is. It's a funny change of tune that kind of bothers me tbh. I have heard it all.

I do rant a lot about Aliir but as a Swans fan all I want is to see our best 22 fit and healthy and firing every week to the best of their ability. The fact we have a coach who is blatantly disregarding an obvious best 22 player is just baffling to me. As long as any member of the best 22 is not getting the faith they deserve, I'll vouch for them. Even someone I'm not that keen on or don't rate that highly, like Reid, I would be furious about if they were unfairly dropped.

I'm gonna be controversial here and say he did not deserve to be dropped for that. I thought it was an overreaction. If the coaches genuinely thought he was best 22 that week and didn't play him because he was late to training, I think that's petty. Just make him do extra drills after the next session, or make it up in some other way. I don't think it's worth missing games for. No way Buddy, Sam Reid, Hanners would be dropped for the same thing - and I don't like selective discipline.

Just my 2 cents.

Why is it funny? Because I think Aliir is not best 22 at the moment because he is not playing well/forcing horses hand this season? s**t, we should try and see if the AFL will let us have a mid-season signing and bring in X. Richards as he played well at the end of last year.

I just couldn't disagree with a post more than I did yours, but that's no fault of your own. Everybody sees things differently I guess.

dopesayo

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
The way I see things is that Aliir played early in the season, didn't perform well and got dropped, eventually earned a chance back in the seniors but got dropped again for disciplinary reasons, and since then hasn't done enough to force his way back into a team that has since gone 7-1. I believe the team selection should be based on form, so I have no problem with Aliir playing in the twos until he recaptures the form he had last year.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

He was dropped because he wasn't fit. He missed most of the pre season. He, like Jack, was selected unfit because we were out of fit senior players.

No one is saying Aliir isn't up to scratch. Some are saying he needs to work on his defensive game. At the end of the day, Melican took his opportunity with both hands. That is a bloody fantastic thing which we should all be celebrating. I certainly am.

I have no doubt Aliir will make his way back into the side. The coaches appear to be working on him becoming more of a swingman.

I have a simple question (and I'm a fence sitter ATM with Allir): who would be dropped to accomodate him in the current side?

He could easily come in for a Florent or Towers if he was demanding selection. But like I have stated before, I don't think that he is demanding selection.

Melican is the obvious one, but on form, Melican deserves his spot in the seniors. He took his opportunity with 2 hands and has not let it go.

He's nowhere near ready. Did you watch the reserves game? I mean physically actually watch it. His turnovers cost 2 goals.

I thought he was good. So he wasn't flawless big whoop.

Nowhere near ready? He played 13 games last year in a year we finished minor premiers, and was one of the BOGs in a QF in which we were beaten!! This is crazy talk

He's nowhere near ready. Did you watch the reserves game? I mean physically actually watch it. His turnovers cost 2 goals.

Have to agree with you there. His opponent in defense was also given a lot of room to move as Aliir was floating off him which he could afford given the dominance of the Swans. Laidler definitely had a better game from the defense.

I have to admit, he is raw on not yet ready but Maibaum is showing some good signs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back