Past Aliir Aliir - traded 2020, to Port

Remove this Banner Ad

tKFgZSau.jpg

Aliir Aliir

Player Profile

Aliir Aliir is a key defender with elite intercept-marking skills who generates a wealth of drive out of the Sydney Swans’ backline. Although he’s just 25, the 2013 draftee is now one of the Swans’ most experienced backmen after the retirement of champion defenders Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith. Aliir’s height, excellent verticle leap and cat-like movement around the footy also make him a handy option as a back-up ruckman. Born in Kenya to Sudanese parents, Aliir is an inspiration to kids from diverse backgrounds starting a new chapter in Australia. Draft history: 2013 AFL Draft 3rd round selection (Sydney) No. 44 overall.

Aliir Aliir

DOB: 05 September 1994
DEBUT:2014
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Aspley (Qld)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited:

Majority of this board!
Then perhaps he needs to work his way back into the senior side and remind everyone of what he's capable of. :)

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Then perhaps he needs to work his way back into the senior side and remind everyone of what he's capable of. :)

I agree with this. For what it's worth I do like Aliir and think he can be a good player for us, he's just outside the 22 at the moment.

The woman with whom he had sex causing him to be late up and to training and dropped thereby causing him to become the subject of regular threads and posts (hardly forgotten at all) here ?

Thanks for thinking about me, but this is about Aliir.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I was talking to my dad about Aliir, but he's currently being played in the wrong position in the reserves. He was a great defender, and yes he's being kept out by Grundy and Melican but he played a great rebounding game. Develop him into the third tall role. He can play as the loose man and get him on the smaller blokes. We've shown we play best with a smaller forward line and it's getting crowded down there but when Grundy retires we have no one to look for outside Aliir. Playing him in the ruck & forwards is a desperate play to get him into the team which wont work

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I was talking to my dad about Aliir, but he's currently being played in the wrong position in the reserves. He was a great defender, and yes he's being kept out by Grundy and Melican but he played a great rebounding game. Develop him into the third tall role. He can play as the loose man and get him on the smaller blokes. We've shown we play best with a smaller forward line and it's getting crowded down there but when Grundy retires we have no one to look for outside Aliir. Playing him in the ruck & forwards is a desperate play to get him into the team which wont work
I only watched the first half but rebounding defender seemed to be the role he was playing in the reserves.
I think we have a logistical problem, not planning on Johnson coming back, Talia finding form, Drafting Maibum and Melican finding form. All the sudden we are trying to find room for 6 Tall defenders in two teams. A few of which have management conerns as well. It should be easier next season with Talia gone and a rejig of defensive roles in the first team (Potentially smith out, Mills to midfield and Rampe onto smalls, maybe even Grundy gone soon ) will then see 3 tall spots in the seniors. All the sudden I feel like we have depth and excellence there, I was terrified about losing Grundy at the start of these season, now I feel like Johnson Melican and Aliir might represent an improvement.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I only watched the first half but rebounding defender seemed to be the role he was playing in the reserves.
I think we have a logistical problem, not planning on Johnson coming back, Talia finding form, Drafting Maibum and Melican finding form. All the sudden we are trying to find room for 6 Tall defenders in two teams. A few of which have management conerns as well. It should be easier next season with Talia gone and a rejig of defensive roles in the first team (Potentially smith out, Mills to midfield and Rampe onto smalls, maybe even Grundy gone soon ) will then see 3 tall spots in the seniors. All the sudden I feel like we have depth and excellence there, I was terrified about losing Grundy at the start of these season, now I feel like Johnson Melican and Aliir might represent an improvement.
Smith, Grundy out. Rampe running around chasing smalls. Mills gone elsewhere. That's nothing to be optimistic about. Smith is one of the best small-defenders in the comp. Grundy is the ultimate gorilla wrestler. Rampe can play on talls with the speed and ground skills of a small. Mills is pure talent.

Sorry dude, we've got some good defenders coming through but nothing to replace the three musketeers (and Mills). The best defence in the league for years.

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Smith, Grundy out. Rampe running around chasing smalls. Mills gone elsewhere. That's nothing to be optimistic about. Smith is one of the best small-defenders in the comp. Grundy is the ultimate gorilla wrestler. Rampe can play on talls with the speed and ground skills of a small. Mills is pure talent.

Sorry dude, we've got some good defenders coming through but nothing to replace the three musketeers (and Mills). The best defence in the league for years.
I love those players, but I feel like we have a good chance of being the best defence in the league once they go, when at the start of the season I was terrified they'd go and we would fall apart. We have options, Mills to the midfield strengthens our midfield, Rampe could excel with a role on smalls, we'll never know if he has to take the oppo's best attacker most weeks. I"m not suggesting dropping Smith or Grundy, merely pointing out that we have the depth to put a good team on the park without them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I love those players, but I feel like we have a good chance of being the best defence in the league once they go, when at the start of the season I was terrified they'd go and we would fall apart. We have options, Mills to the midfield strengthens our midfield, Rampe could excel with a role on smalls, we'll never know if he has to take the oppo's best attacker most weeks. I"m not suggesting dropping Smith or Grundy, merely pointing out that we have the depth to put a good team on the park without them.
I've no doubt we'll get there but we saw what happened early in the year when we brought in too many new players into our defence (we had no choice). If Macca plays another season that would be a big help in managing the transition to our next generation. They play as tightly as a well rehearsed orchestra and he's the conductor. Whether Mills ever plays midfield it's almost a given that Jones will move on from defence (to our mids or someone else's). With the back six/seven settled again Grundy's returned to his solid form as one of the most consistently reliable fullbacks in the league. Smith also as one of the premier small defenders, but it highlights the point that even the best defenders can only work as well as ours do if they are part of a well-structured unit. To keep it that way means we can only add new players very gradually. Having Shaw coaching the reserves helps as he instills the Swans structures into them but have a very close look at the work of our defence when it's running smoothly and every player knows exactly where to be, what to do and what every other defender will do. It's an almost telepathic synchronicity, a well-oiled and incredibly complex machine where the whole is so much greater than the sum of its parts.

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I've no doubt we'll get there but we saw what happened early in the year when we brought in too many new players into our defence (we had no choice). If Macca plays another season that would be a big help in managing the transition to our next generation. They play as tightly as a well rehearsed orchestra and he's the conductor. Whether Mills ever plays midfield it's almost a given that Jones will move on from defence (to our mids or someone else's). With the back six/seven settled again Grundy's returned to his solid form as one of the most consistently reliable fullbacks in the league. Smith also as one of the premier small defenders, but it highlights the point that even the best defenders can only work as well as ours do if they are part of a well-structured unit. To keep it that way means we can only add new players very gradually. Having Shaw coaching the reserves helps as he instills the Swans structures into them but have a very close look at the work of our defence when it's running smoothly and every player knows exactly where to be, what to do and what every other defender will do. It's an almost telepathic synchronicity, a well-oiled and incredibly complex machine where the whole is so much greater than the sum of its parts.
I"m not advocating getting rid of them, just pointing out that next season we will probably re-arrange things in some way to better fit our personell.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Longmire appears to love the reliability and steadiness of Melican. His manner of player contrasts with the spontaneity of Aliir I think. When Aliir takes a mark nobody knows what's going to happen. When Melican takes a mark, Longmire knows generally what to expect. In that sense it makes sense why he favours Melican.

Aliir appears to need a huge preseason next year to get a spot back in the side. It feels like he has been hampered all year and not in form. If not for a series of injuries, I struggle to see him back this year.

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
He played juniors as ruck/forward. Only played defence at the swans.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
If Reid and Jones dont re sign then opportunities will open up for AA as positions are shuffled

Melican will take over the Grundy role in 2-3 years if Maibaum doesn't come on first. I suspect Mills will be in the midfield or wing by then with Aliir playing as a tall flanker/winger.

Johnson probably won't play defence again, at best a flanker.

5 minutes into his comeback and you're already writing him off?

Could be wrong, but with the ridiculous defensive depth at the team, he's more likely to get a gig at back flank or on the wing.

With Jones potentially leaving, he could fill that void.

Just let him find his feet before making hasty prejudgements.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back