Past Aliir Aliir - traded 2020, to Port

Remove this Banner Ad

tKFgZSau.jpg

Aliir Aliir

Player Profile

Aliir Aliir is a key defender with elite intercept-marking skills who generates a wealth of drive out of the Sydney Swans’ backline. Although he’s just 25, the 2013 draftee is now one of the Swans’ most experienced backmen after the retirement of champion defenders Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith. Aliir’s height, excellent verticle leap and cat-like movement around the footy also make him a handy option as a back-up ruckman. Born in Kenya to Sudanese parents, Aliir is an inspiration to kids from diverse backgrounds starting a new chapter in Australia. Draft history: 2013 AFL Draft 3rd round selection (Sydney) No. 44 overall.

Aliir Aliir

DOB: 05 September 1994
DEBUT:2014
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Aspley (Qld)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited:
Hi all,

This ESPN article and video give really great insight into Aliir's journey and early years in Australia:

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...rules-football-aliir-aliir-incredible-journey

Cheers
Great article, thank you for posting it. Love your avatar and totally agree - it is definately time!

Such an amazing journey, he (and his mum for that matter) must be so strong and resilient, it really is impossible for us here in Australia to contemplate what Aliir's formative years must have been like.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Great article, thank you for posting it. Love your avatar and totally agree - it is definately time!

Such an amazing journey, he (and his mum for that matter) must be so strong and resilient, it really is impossible for us here in Australia to contemplate what Aliir's formative years must have been like.

Cheers mate.

I guess most footy fans would have heard a little bit about Aliir's journey but when he explains his background so deeply like that, it makes you stop and think and it really hits home how tough some people have it and how lucky most of us are. And, how well he's done to make it to the AFL.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Aliir is a very exciting player, a game change and match winner, whose occasional defense lapses could also cost a goal or two.

I reckon he would be a starting 22 for most other teams.

I know the coaching staff is keen to get him back and is trying a few roles out.

Lookign forward to seeing AA back in the starting line up

Aliir is a very exciting player, a game change and match winner, whose occasional defense lapses could also cost a goal or two.

I reckon he would be a starting 22 for most other teams.

I know the coaching staff is keen to get him back and is trying a few roles out.

Lookign forward to seeing AA back in the starting line up

Occasional defense lapses ? They are more than that. They are monumental catastrophes worthy of delisting!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given horse normally goes about 12 months in between aliir selections,it would appear his time here is up

Horse has just demonstrated a willingness to pick him, on a limited preparation, when he is clearly underdone & when he hasn't set the world on fire in the reserves.

When he is fitter and strings together some good performances I see no reason why he wouldn't get picked again.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Looked good against the Eagles.

He seems to be one who saves his best for the seniors.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Looked good against the Eagles.

He seems to be one who saves his best for the seniors.

Yeh that seems to be a thing for some players; they play up to the level in seniors but can also play down to the level in reserves. When Aliir is fit, he is absolutely capable of playing high-quality senior football, but if he isn't fit he can be shown up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back