Delisted 36. Blake Schlensog (2019-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Membrey's not a KPF he's a third tall (and that type routinely slides in drafts) Jenkins was alternative talent (basketballer in townsville then ess rookie) Darling slid due to well known off field stuff Waite was FS Brown mature age and McDonald drafted as KPD.

Exclude FS and access schemes mature age players and the list of quality full size KPF from u18s drafted outside R1 is really small. If they come through the u18 pathways and are quality KPF they generally go top 10 and the same can't be said to the same degree for other player types.

That is a complete shifting of the goal posts. The statement was you can’t get a decent KPF without an early pick, now you’re saying mature age and cat B doesn’t count. Next you’ll be saying second, third, fourth round picks don’t count either.

How tall is this kid? How does he weigh in and what position does he normally play? No one seems to be posting any of this information as in past years.
You really do have a draftee height and weight fetish lol.

Membrey's not a KPF he's a third tall (and that type routinely slides in drafts) Jenkins was alternative talent (basketballer in townsville then ess rookie) Darling slid due to well known off field stuff Waite was FS Brown mature age and McDonald drafted as KPD.

Exclude FS and access schemes mature age players and the list of quality full size KPF from u18s drafted outside R1 is really small. If they come through the u18 pathways and are quality KPF they generally go top 10 and the same can't be said to the same degree for other player types.
I thought McDonald played as KPF in U18s, its just that they groomed him as a KPD when he joined the AFL system.

Dont think Mackie has the knowledge to ever take over, hes a good right hand man but Selwood is the obvious heir apparent for mine.
Not sure why we should expect to see a past player taking over from Wells when the time comes.
As far as I know, the savvy head recruiters from clubs like Hawthorn and Essendon are not well-known past players.

Give me a no-name with the right stuff, over a recognizable name any day.

Not sure why we should expect to see a past player taking over from Wells when the time comes.
As far as I know, the savvy head recruiters from clubs like Hawthorn and Essendon are not well-known past players.

Troy Selwood walked away from footy to go down that path though its not like he's entering as a guy in his mid 30s with no experience like Mackie, hes pretty much the reason Tom Stewart and Ryan Abbott got to our club he knows what hes doing with identifying talent.

I thought Troy Selwood was being groomed and he’s hardly a household name. In fact I hadn’t even heard of him till recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I thought Troy Selwood was being groomed and he’s hardly a household name. In fact I hadn’t even heard of him till recently.

Saying a no-name is more qualified than a past player without knowing either person is just as blinkered as saying the opposite.

Saying a no-name is more qualified than a past player without knowing either person is just as blinkered as saying the opposite.

I know you’re not but I wasn’t indicating that just to be sure. I trust the club now to get it right and if not move’em on if there’re not. As we did with fitness person who barely lasted to stuff up Paddy’s hamstring.

I know you’re not but I wasn’t indicating that just to be sure. I trust the club now to get it right and if not move’em on if there’re not. As we did with fitness person who barely lasted to stuff up Paddy’s hamstring.

Agree. I should have replied directly to Moggy's post.

I’m not buying the “tall forwards are only found early in the draft” shtick.

Outside of Brown and McDonald, you have Darling, Jenkins, Membrey, and Waite who were all later picks.

That’s six current key forwards I’ve listed from 2mins scrolling through the goal kicker’s leaderboard for last season.
Yeah, but none of whom are really the type you would build a forward line around. Darling, Waite and Membrey are all effectively mid-sized and can't provide the same get-out option as, say, Hawkins, while Jenkins was pretty solid value but struggles as a prime target.

They aren't *only* found early in the draft, but they do go very, very quickly. I mean, the focal point for almost every top-8 club (Hawkins, Kennedy, Riewoldt, Franklin, Cameron, Hogan, Roughead) is an early first-round pick (or f/s equivalent).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anybody know why Blake is not listed on the club's list on the club site? Is it because he is a CAT B roookie? he was given number 36 and drafted same day as Tom Atkins but not listed.

Anybody know why Blake is not listed on the club's list on the club site? Is it because he is a CAT B roookie? he was given number 36 and drafted same day as Tom Atkins but not listed.

I just asked one the mates who is one of his relos via FB. It may take a while for him to respond.
But I suspect it is just a mistake at the club. The still have not put the photos up of 5 other new recruits.

That is a complete shifting of the goal posts. The statement was you can’t get a decent KPF without an early pick, now you’re saying mature age and cat B doesn’t count. Next you’ll be saying second, third, fourth round picks don’t count either.

I never said you cant get a decent KPF without an early pick. I said you cant get a decent u18 kpf through the open access draft without a top 15 pick and by and large this is true-its very rare to get a decent kpf with late picks unless they are mature age or traded for or academy players (who you will rarely get because its likely the club that has the rights to them will match a bid). The stats support this, the majority of decent u18 kpfs are drafted in the first round more so than for any other player type.

I never said you cant get a decent KPF without an early pick. I said you cant get a decent u18 kpf through the open access draft without a top 15 pick and by and large this is true-its very rare to get a decent kpf with late picks unless they are mature age or traded for or academy players (who you will rarely get because its likely the club that has the rights to them will match a bid). The stats support this, the majority of decent u18 kpfs are drafted in the first round more so than for any other player type.

I think there is a bit revisionism some times... about what has been said . Perhaps to be fair (talking for myself not anyone else)brievity can cause a too concise thought stream posted.. but I think all we have ever tended to indicate is a preponderance , its never a black and white situation ..but historically its those types of player that are good as juniors go very early. And if you don't get access to them you struggle to find a gun in that role. Now not all early picked talls develop into guns and not all late picks fail but historically there must be something about showing talent as a junior that means something and indicator of worth.

The one thing thats very hard to estimate is just how much stock to put into history when the drafting and recruiting science continues to alter. The rules like the Kruger one mean that you have a chance to sweep up crumbs that may have been missed. Will that show that you can get player like talls kpf from a slower developing players? We already know that its possible from Pods that players got missed and it was only a rule change that tilted the game to allow his drafting. So can an extra year or two and the pre draft trading become a way to do it without early picks? And just what affect has rule changes in the TAC had an affect on tall standouts at that level?

Personally.. KPF or not , Id still be far happier if we had a few extra single figure picks because historically very few , if any Premiership sides win without a player they have drafted in the single figures...but rules changes FA etc.. and who knows how it will all evolve eventually perhaps if they lower the years of FA to 6 or whatever.

So can Blake S be a gun or NK... I hope they can.

I just asked one the mates who is one of his relos via FB. It may take a while for him to respond.
But I suspect it is just a mistake at the club. The still have not put the photos up of 5 other new recruits.

It's a bit odd, though, since they don't have photos of others. Bad if you're the rellies and want to show him off.

This kid looks to have the frame to really get some size in a year or two

View attachment 641635
Much like Okanbor, built for it

Been nice to get some return from the Academy Prog.... but its a long term thing so give him time time time....

Go Catters

Only played a couple of games I think.

Against Essendon Zac Smith started key forward and Kreuger and Schlensog as the key defenders....

I think it would be right to say that Schlensog thought defence was what encircled the ground.

Once Smith and Buzza are gone at the end of the year we will find out more about NK and Schlensog in 2020.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back