Review 36 - Dylan Moore (2018)

Dylan Moore

Games: 0
Goals: 0
Yabby Medal votes: 0

Selected in the fourth round (67th overall pick) of the 2017 national draft, Moore spent the 2018 season honing his craft in the VFL. Valued for his versatility (played both midfield and forward in under-18 years), Moore predominantly spent his time forward for Box Hill, playing 16 games in the VFL for 16 goals, including a bag of four against Williamstown in the preliminary final and three goals in the grand final against Casey Demons.

Last edited:

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Didn't show what he is capable of in his debut. He was good defensively. I think he'll learn from the experience. When he had the ball seemed to want to make something happen when all he needed to do was do the % thing.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Looks like next-gen poppy type pressure forward to me, with increased aerobic capacity to apply pressure even higher up the ground than forwards have needed to in last 5-10 years.

Probably doesn't have the marking ability of poppy, but looks like he'll fill out a decently strong frame for a short bloke.

Could he be the one to break the curse?

Am I playing with fire by mentioning it, because we all know the footy gods are reading.
He’s getting to Brad Scott level 36ness now. Showing lots of potential and stringing games together...

Tomohawks

All Australian
Aug 30, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Storm & West Ham United
Looks like next-gen poppy type pressure forward to me, with increased aerobic capacity to apply pressure even higher up the ground than forwards have needed to in last 5-10 years.

Probably doesn't have the marking ability of poppy, but looks like he'll fill out a decently strong frame for a short bloke.

He doesn't have Poppy's explosive pace unfortunately, very clever player though and I am a fan.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
He doesn't have Poppy's explosive pace unfortunately, very clever player though and I am a fan.

Nor his leap. Solid one on one marker though.

In his draft combine he was first for the 2km time trial with 6:09 and second for the Yo Yo test with 22.3, behind Andrew Brayshaw with 22.4. Seems to have many of the attributes that could make him a very good footballer.

Interestingly, from the same combine our Jackson Ross was equal first for the goal kicking test and equal second (along with our Ned Reeves) for the kicking efficiency. On top of that, our Harry Jones was fourth in the standing vertical jump and sixth in the running vertical jump.

Tomohawks

All Australian
Aug 30, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Storm & West Ham United
Plus note his tank dwarfs Poppy by a significant margin, if you don't have elite pace you better have an elite tank which thankfully he does.

As good as his tank is he won't be able to replicate poppy's closing speed to tackle which is his biggest flaw whilst playing a small forward role. I see him playing as a mid/forward and getting on the end of a chain due to his hard long running and goal sense.

Mojo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Got to be elite in some area to make it at AFL level. Being slightly better than average in every category isn't enough to cut it for a full career.

Our dream outcome, and most obvious from my perspective, is a Boomer Harvey type, not Poppy.

Run all day, smart, skillful and hard at it...

Not saying he'll be as good, but that's the archetype

Back