Delisted #36: Garrett McDonagh - Delisted, thank you for your service - 23/8

Remove this Banner Ad

It does because Mcdonagh would be a likely replacement

Its either him or Cutler in all likelihood
Well, what you said initially is below. Nothing about a run of poor form... just that you think Redman's spot isn't safe because Mcdonagh was recruited and he would have been safe if not for said recruitment. Saying that someone might be dropped because of poor form is hardly an enlightening observation - everyone is droppable after some poor form. Look at Tippa.
I also dont think redmans spot is safe

It probably was without this recruitment, which is why hes required

Well, what you said initially is below. Nothing about a run of poor form... just that you think Redman's spot isn't safe because Mcdonagh was recruited and he would have been safe if not for said recruitment. Saying that someone might be dropped because of poor form is hardly an enlightening observation - everyone is droppable after some poor form. Look at Tippa.
Thought it went without saying he starts in the side based on not missing a game bar injury last year? Clearly not. Even though i already said so earlier?

As i said i would rather an out of form Redman than a Cutler playing who was basically the only competition before the draft, Mcdonagh increases that pressure for spots during the season.

I disagree, every club has guys that simply wont be dropped, i even mentioned a few from our club.

Thought it went without saying he starts in the side based on not missing a game bar injury last year? Clearly not. Even though i already said so earlier?
What? He starts in the side and holds his position barring an injury (or prolonged drop in form) is the definition of safe. That's as safe as it gets, to use your words.
As i said i would rather an out of form Redman than a Cutler playing who was basically the only competition before the draft, Mcdonagh increases that pressure for spots during the season.
Since when is Redman out of form? Just finished his best season for the club.
I disagree, every club has guys that simply wont be dropped, i even mentioned a few from our club.
Although you have forgotten when some of those you mentioned were dropped.

You haven't responded to something I posted earlier. What knowledge is there apart from a VFL highlights clip is there on McDonagh?

All we have left is Redman will start in the 22 but 'may' be dropped if he gets injured or has a long run of poor form. Then McDonagh may get an opportunity. perhaps that = 'Redman's position isn't safe because of McDonagh'. Certainly not how I and a few others interpreted that post.

What? He starts in the side and holds his position barring an injury (or prolonged drop in form) is the definition of safe. That's as safe as it gets, to use your words.

Since when is Redman out of form? Just finished his best season for the club.

Although you have forgotten when some of those you mentioned were dropped.

You haven't responded to something I posted earlier. What knowledge is there apart from a VFL highlights clip is there on McDonagh?

All we have left is Redman will start in the 22 but 'may' be dropped if he gets injured or has a long run of poor form. Then McDonagh may get an opportunity. perhaps that = 'Redman's position isn't safe because of McDonagh'. Certainly not how I and a few others interpreted that post.
Who was dropped from those i mentioned last year. Ill expand just in case you cant work it out; in 2021?

Thats as safe it gets? No Zerrett, Ridley, Parish, Stringer are as safe as it gets for next year. Certainly not Redman, are you suggesting Redmans in that same category as safe?

Do you realise how strange that question is? Its like asking what footage is there outside of VFL footage of a guy who has only played VFL

Last edited:
Who was dropped from those i mentioned last year. Ill expand just in case you cant work it out; in 2021?

Thats as safe it gets? No Zerrett, Ridley, Parish, Stringer are as safe as it gets for next year. Certainly not Redman, are you suggesting Redmans in that same category as safe?
I didn't say this year, but they have been dropped in the past.
Do you realise how strange that question is? Its like asking what footage is there outside of VFL footage of a guy who has only played VFL
This is why it is bizarre to say that Redman isn't 'safe' because of someone you've never seen.

I didn't say this year, but they have been dropped in the past.

This is why it is bizarre to say that Redman isn't 'safe' because of someone you've never seen.

I mentioned those 4 players in regards to next year

Do you see Redman in the same category as these guys in regards to being safe?

I dont think those guys are in any worry of being dropped after 3 straight losses regardless of individual performance.

I think we have different definitions of safe. Ridley, Zerrett, Parish Stringer are safe. Not Redman like your definition.

The only way those 4 miss games is injury next year

Last edited:
Can we please stick to the topic without clogging it up with crap? You can argue the make up of the list or the 2022 best 22 elsewhere.

Fwiw Dodoro expects him to play a lot of senior football, and specifically stated that we didn't put him on the AFL list so he could play for our VFL side. We can discuss how this is bullshit when he's not picked for round 1 next year. Until then, can we stick to welcome and congrats?

Can we please stick to the topic without clogging it up with crap? You can argue the make up of the list or the 2022 best 22 elsewhere.

Fwiw Dodoro expects him to play a lot of senior football, and specifically stated that we didn't put him on the AFL list so he could play for our VFL side. We can discuss how this is bullshit when he's not picked for round 1 next year. Until then, can we stick to welcome and congrats?

They've said he adds something different to our other small-medium defenders / wingers.

He's got a long, accurate kick on him whereas Redman and Hind as our main offensive players in the back-half are run and carry types.

This guy sounds more in the Daniel Rich mould, where left alone he'll just start sending 50m bullets down the field.

Would potentially mean a little bit of a change in structure if he played off the HBF, but he's a decent size, with a great kick and apparently a good tank, so he might push a guy like Cox or Durham off a wing in the short-term.

I think if any of Heppell, Hind or Redman are injured for the start of the season then this guy would have to be a serious chance of playing, all going well with PS

Like Dodoro has implied you dont draft a guy turning 26 so that your VFL side has a better kick off half back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By the way. He is a small defender. Not a half back rocket.
Has also only played under 20 VFL games with 9 of them being last year and the rest back in 2016. Played local footy in 18/19 and none in 2020.
He may be 25 but he is very inexperienced. The only thing he is really advanced in over an 18 year old is he is no longer 75kg.
Has not done a lot yet but it is early days and he still had 16 possessions from the back half despite them being under a fair bit of pressure from Caseys running game on Saturday.
I have no idea if he will make it. Right now you would say it would be more 30/70 he does not.
I think people have been sucked into thinking because of his age he was a ready made product. 9 VFL games last year and no top level footy for the previous 3 years does not make you AFL ready. In reality he is going to take this year in the VFL to sort himself out.

By the way. He is a small defender. Not a half back rocket.
Has also only played under 20 VFL games with 9 of them being last year and the rest back in 2016. Played local footy in 18/19 and none in 2020.
He may be 25 but he is very inexperienced. The only thing he is really advanced in over an 18 year old is he is no longer 75kg.
Has not done a lot yet but it is early days and he still had 16 possessions from the back half despite them being under a fair bit of pressure from Caseys running game on Saturday.
I have no idea if he will make it. Right now you would say it would be more 30/70 he does not.
I think people have been sucked into thinking because of his age he was a ready made product. 9 VFL games last year and no top level footy for the previous 3 years does not make you AFL ready. In reality he is going to take this year in the VFL to sort himself out.
interesting.
from the soundbites, we recruited him to come in ready. i think the quote was you don't draft a 25yo who isn't ready to play for your AFL side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back