Delisted #36: Garrett McDonagh - Delisted, thank you for your service - 23/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 50 is a decent pick. It wasn’t a deep draft by any means but do you think a 1 year flyer on someone like Greg Clarke would of been better suited to our list? 195cm inside mid who can play forward. This was such a weird pick at the time and looks worse now. Thank god we plucked Martin and Massimo (add Menzie to that to) from no where

Pick 50 is a decent pick. It wasn’t a deep draft by any means but do you think a 1 year flyer on someone like Greg Clarke would of been better suited to our list? 195cm inside mid who can play forward. This was such a weird pick at the time and looks worse now. Thank god we plucked Martin and Massimo (add Menzie to that to) from no where
Your odds of finding someone to play more than a handful of games at that pick are slim.

It gets harder if you're trying to draft to fill a particular need and the best available isn't necessarily what suits your list.

What made the recruiters select him? Was he dominating in the Richmond VFL team? Or was it more of the same as he produced for us?

What made the recruiters select him? Was he dominating in the Richmond VFL team? Or was it more of the same as he produced for us?
He was better there. He's got a booming left foot and seemed to use it more confidently there.

I'll admit I know next to zero about VFL footy and haven't seen much of Constable play in his few senior games for either Geelong or GC, but what was the knock on him?

He entered the system with reasonable wraps as a a big strong inside mid didn't he? Is it just that he peaked as an 18yo so hasn't taken that next step?

I was keen on us looking at him in the draft last year knowing he was available, but it was from a completely uneducated basis.

I'll admit I know next to zero about VFL footy and haven't seen much of Constable play in his few senior games for either Geelong or GC, but what was the knock on him?

He entered the system with reasonable wraps as a a big strong inside mid didn't he? Is it just that he peaked as an 18yo so hasn't taken that next step?

I was keen on us looking at him in the draft last year knowing he was available, but it was from a completely uneducated basis.
He's slow, average kick and despite being a good clearance winner that's the only string to his bow.

He was drafted by Geelong that has a stacked midfield and refuses to play anyone under 28. They don’t seem to do much with player development either.

They wanted to re-sign him but he wanted to leave for opportunities (same as 2020 but last year he actually left).

If no one picked him up Geelong was going to rookie him, but in the end I think he had an in-principle agreement with Gold Coast and would’ve had a price on his head when he nominated for the draft.

Here's the list of Pick 50s who've played 100 games from the past 20 years:

1. Will Schofield
Heaps of good players have been selected in the 50s

Pittonet, Oscar Mcdonald, Ed Langdon, Harris Andrews (61)

Jack silvangi, Sam Collins, Jordan Dawson, Tom Phillips

Willie Rioli, Jack Graham, himmelberg, Josh Daicos

I really don’t know why he wasn’t given a shot. I know Rutten was “coaching for his career” but still a shame after seeing him in the NFNL for a number of years that he didn’t get a game or 2

I really don’t know why he wasn’t given a shot. I know Rutten was “coaching for his career” but still a shame after seeing him in the NFNL for a number of years that he didn’t get a game or 2
Because he was no good. Pretty obvious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His VFL performances hardly put him at the front of the queue.

I know why. He was short of the level. You could see in some VFL games he did not think quick enough at various stages in games. It was why they moved him up to the wing as he was getting beaten in defense because he was not as quick to respond. They though he may improve a bit. He didn't. Not a bad VFL player and I suspect a gun at the next level down.

Survivor bias. There have been 200 pick 50-somethings over those 20 years - how many produced good players?
Yep the percentage is pretty low.

Fantasia could have been one of the better players in the game with more luck with his body, and he was pick 55.

Generally though yes, these picks are very diamond in the rough if they happen to work out.

Of those picked after him Serong at Hawthorn looks sprightly.

Voss looks like he could be anything (good or bad)

Meh, a swing and a miss with a pick we never expected anything from.

At the time I remember (correct me if I’m wrong) that port and collingwood jumped ahead of us with this pick. I certainly got the feeling that Garret wasn’t the top of their shortlist. I guess his strength was his booming left foot? Personally I was more interested in Charlie Constable at the time as I remember he was pretty good in under 18’s as I admit I believe we need a big mid which I don’t believe everyone agrees on that. I see Gold Coast drafted him but I haven’t heard if he has any improvement? At the end of the day though I don’t think Garrets delisting is at the top of the issues that we face as a club at the moment.
As far as the individual goes though I hope he is happy that he got on a list and he doesn’t die wondering what could have been. Sounds like he gave his best shot and there is no disgrace in that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back