Delisted #36: Garrett McDonagh - Delisted, thank you for your service - 23/8

Remove this Banner Ad

interesting.
from the soundbites, we recruited him to come in ready. i think the quote was you don't draft a 25yo who isn't ready to play for your AFL side.
Well you can listen to the fluff bits or you can do a little digging.

By the way. He is a small defender. Not a half back rocket.
Has also only played under 20 VFL games with 9 of them being last year and the rest back in 2016. Played local footy in 18/19 and none in 2020.
He may be 25 but he is very inexperienced. The only thing he is really advanced in over an 18 year old is he is no longer 75kg.
Has not done a lot yet but it is early days and he still had 16 possessions from the back half despite them being under a fair bit of pressure from Caseys running game on Saturday.
I have no idea if he will make it. Right now you would say it would be more 30/70 he does not.
I think people have been sucked into thinking because of his age he was a ready made product. 9 VFL games last year and no top level footy for the previous 3 years does not make you AFL ready. In reality he is going to take this year in the VFL to sort himself out.

I would imagine the development trajectory for a guy like this would be that by mid-year he should be demonstrating he's close to the level given physically he should be ready-to-go, which is often the slowest part of a young players development. So it's about actual game experience and learning the system (which shouldn't be that different to Richmond's).

Unlike most draftees where they can sometimes need a few seasons just to physically get themselves to the level.

I would imagine the development trajectory for a guy like this would be that by mid-year he should be demonstrating he's close to the level given physically he should be ready-to-go, which is often the slowest part of a young players development. So it's about actual game experience and learning the system (which shouldn't be that different to Richmond's).

Unlike most draftees where they can sometimes need a few seasons just to physically get themselves to the level.
It is actually more advantage to come through the under 18 system straight into AFL.

It is actually more advantage to come through the under 18 system straight into AFL.

I meant in terms of being physically developed and mature he's ready to go but inexperienced, whereas the traditional pathway they're more experienced but at 18 they're a ways off the physical development.

Should we have drafted him? Sounds like the sort of player that should've been a rookie.
We wanted a back pocket. We drafted one . He has one advantage being mature body.
He may well come on quicker than an 18 year old but he is not ready made. He will need this year.
Two games in and people are complaining.

We wanted a back pocket. We drafted one . He has one advantage being mature body.
He may well come on quicker than an 18 year old but he is not ready made. He will need this year.
Two games in and people are complaining.

I was just curious given his age. Hopefully he comes on and ends up a good pick for us. :thumbsu:

Garrett McDonagh​

Key stats: 21 disposals, five marks, two inside 50s

"It was probably Garrett's best game for us. He's learning our defensive systems and has been really aggressive off half-back. When the opposition had the ball, he was right up on his man and didn't give him anything, and when he had the opportunity to attack and use the ball, he did that. He had a great balance between attack and defence."

Garrett McDonagh​

Key stats: 13 disposals, two marks

"Garrett defended OK at times. There were times where his opponent got him, but he's still trying to learn the balance between attack and defence. He didn't impact the game a great deal, but he's working towards playing the way we want to play."

but but last week last week he had a great balance of attack and defence

Hm. He's got a bullet of a leg but I'm not sure of him 1-on-1. Don't think he's close to AFL.

Feels like Tom Jok honestly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garrett McDonagh

Key stats: 19 disposals, four marks

"Early on for 'Gaz', there were some spoils which were pleasing to see as he's been working on his one-on-one defensive craft. Some of his attack off half-back was good and he's a nice left-foot kick, so when he takes the options that he should, he can be quite a damaging player for us. For Gaz, it's all about getting the balance right between attack and defence on a more consistent basis."

Be great if they did these reports for the AFL side roo
You kind of get them in the performance review with one or two players getting wraps on them but it’s not everyone.

A few years ago the from the rooms/from the coach thing was each of the line coaches giving a review of how their line went and the head coach talking about overall game plan which was really good.

When Worsfold took over Neeld did a write up and it started just being the coach doing the talk, and then with Richardson it became his job to do the talk instead of the coach, which Mahoney now does.

We get further and further from access and information now.

You kind of get them in the performance review with one or two players getting wraps on them but it’s not everyone.

A few years ago the from the rooms/from the coach thing was each of the line coaches giving a review of how their line went and the head coach talking about overall game plan which was really good.

When Worsfold took over Neeld did a write up and it started just being the coach doing the talk, and then with Richardson it became his job to do the talk instead of the coach, which Mahoney now does.

We get further and further from access and information now.
For a short write up they are pretty insightful. Keeping it meaningful and yet avoiding spilling the beans would be the problem I suppose.

Still the are a good insight into the developing players.

Garrett McDonagh​

Key stats: One goal, 22 disposals, seven marks, three tackles

"Garrett was good this week. He made a couple of blues early on with his kicking, but when he started taking the easy option, it really worked for him and he set us up in attack many times. Defensively he was a lot better for us this week and all over his opponent."

Garrett McDonagh​

Key stats: 20 disposals, four marks, three tackles

"'Gaz' won plenty of the ball and his decisions by foot were mainly strong, which is something he's been working on. To complement the attacking side of his game, there are some things he needs to tweak defensively. He had some moments where he defended really strongly, but also other moments where he needed to defend longer. That's his focus for the next month, but we're really confident he'll get there."

26 in a fortnight I think.

Doesn't sound close, so I must have a misinterpreted " ready made". We're halfway through the season FFS!

Doesn't sound close, so I must have a misinterpreted " ready made". We're halfway through the season FFS!
he’s not 26 - 2 score and 6 maybe.

I seriously laugh at a recruiting team who picks a player because he writes a letter saying how much he wants to play.

Give a guy a go because of his attitude? Are we an equal opportunity employer? This is supposed to be professional sport.

We're in dire need of an aggressive list turn over and we're carrying this contract and those of Smith and BZT into next year.

We're going to lose a player at the end of the year who is a serious chance of making it, abort a project and/or not be able to sign 1 or 2 players because of this s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back