Delisted #36: Garrett McDonagh - Delisted, thank you for your service - 23/8

Remove this Banner Ad

I seriously laugh at a recruiting team who picks a player because he writes a letter saying how much he wants to play.

Give a guy a go because of his attitude? Are we an equal opportunity employer? This is supposed to be professional sport.

We're in dire need of an aggressive list turn over and we're carrying this contract and those of Smith and BZT into next year.

We're going to lose a player at the end of the year who is a serious chance of making it, abort a project and/or not be able to sign 1 or 2 players because of this s**t.
At least half his luck must be a lack of exposed form for the entire cohort in the previous two years. A letter and a commitment to professional fitness standards probably stands for more in the circumstances than at any other time in the last 20 years

Like he’s the kind of bloke you’d ordinarily put in your VFL team and promise to pick him up in the MSD if he can meet X Y Z requirements, except we hardly have a VFL team atm and no guarantee they’d play if lockdowns came back in

I seriously laugh at a recruiting team who picks a player because he writes a letter saying how much he wants to play.

Give a guy a go because of his attitude? Are we an equal opportunity employer? This is supposed to be professional sport.

We're in dire need of an aggressive list turn over and we're carrying this contract and those of Smith and BZT into next year.

We're going to lose a player at the end of the year who is a serious chance of making it, abort a project and/or not be able to sign 1 or 2 players because of this s**t.
Oh and in terms of the last point is he definitely a two year contract? Mature age are usually one year at the draft

Oh and in terms of the last point is he definitely a two year contract? Mature age are usually one year at the draft
That was my feeling - they didn't like any of the available kids enough to commit to two years so went mature. If he's needlessly on two it's even more of an indictment.

That was my feeling - they didn't like any of the available kids enough to commit to two years so went mature. If he's needlessly on two it's even more of an indictment.
Re-reading this whole thread trying to see if it was mentioned somewhere — it wasn’t, but the actual re-read is fascinating.

There’s a run of fluff about him being slow or pacy, forward or back, booming left foot attack, or small defender. 6th in Richmond’s VFL BnF, Richmond board wraps on him. “You don’t draft a 25 year old to play for your VFL team” “he’ll play a lot of senior football for us”.

On the other hand he’s very inexperienced, like an 18yo experience wise but with an adult body, hasn’t debuted and from the VFL reports, doesn’t seem likely to either.

At least half his luck must be a lack of exposed form for the entire cohort in the previous two years. A letter and a commitment to professional fitness standards probably stands for more in the circumstances than at any other time in the last 20 years

Like he’s the kind of bloke you’d ordinarily put in your VFL team and promise to pick him up in the MSD if he can meet X Y Z requirements, except we hardly have a VFL team atm and no guarantee they’d play if lockdowns came back in

That's the thing, how do they not like Ned Long?

I think it's Kakkle who describes our list management being for a different game to that played by the rest of the competition or the good teams. Something like that.

I made excuses at a time but it's now 7 drafts since 2015 which was the latest incarnation of the recruiting strategy and the forced rebuild causes by the loss of players.

There always seems to be a reason not to take midfielders.

That's the thing, how do they not like Ned Long?

I think it's Kakkle who describes our list management being for a different game to that played by the rest of the competition or the good teams. Something like that.

I made excuses at a time but it's now 7 drafts since 2015 which was the latest incarnation of the recruiting strategy and the forced rebuild causes by the loss of players.

There always seems to be a reason not to take midfielders.
Sounds like Dylan Clarke mk 2

While Essendon may need his type more than any other club, no-one liked Long enough to give him two years. I wonder if his medical was sketchy given the serious injury.
We passed on Selwood because of his knee and took Gumbleton. That worked out well.

If we didn’t screw his back I doubt any of us would have complained of taking Gumby over Selwood. If we took Selwood I doubt whatever was going on with his knee would have fared well with us.

We passed on Selwood because of his knee and took Gumbleton. That worked out well.
Yes, a key forward who everyone had as top 3 pre draft with no injury history.

Ever since I followed the draft chatter, what Essendon have done has consistently disappointed me.

There'd be lots of picks and choices I'd've liked Essendon to do better with.

To give you guys a teaser, McDonagh, Lee, Dell'Olio, Gregory, Kommer and Alex Browne feature in my list.

Ever since I followed the draft chatter, what Essendon have done has consistently disappointed me.

There'd be lots of picks and choices I'd've liked Essendon to do better with.

To give you guys a teaser, McDonagh, Lee, Dell'Olio, Gregory, Kommer and Alex Browne feature in my list.
Kommer was a mad dog who could have played under Rutten I think. He had work ethic. I'd have liked Essendon to have done better with him, too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kommer was a mad dog who could have played under Rutten I think. He had work ethic. I'd have liked Essendon to have done better with him, too.

Injuries killed his 2nd season and he seemed besotted with injuries so I don't think any kind of development would've helped in the intervening period.

If he had no injuries, who knows?

Could've seen a 100-150 game career.

Garrett, on the other hand, mightn't even reach 1 league game.

The 2020 and 2021 drafts were always going to be a shitshow with the impacts to the state and district level leagues so it's not surprising that there appears to be a lot of out of place selections so far. The flip side is that Nic Martin fell into our lap in the same circumstances so we need to take the good with the bad.

Was a head scratcher when drafted and lookslike a wasted pick during a rebuilding period.
It does although right now he looks 100% better than Lord.
Right now there are only two players picked behind him that have played AFL.

You would expect a 25 year old to look better than an 18 year old though right now.
You would in normal circumstances but the reality is he had a half a season of VFL footy in the previous two years and before that he was playing local footy.

Why didn’t he play today? Was he the travelling emergency?

I don’t really buy into any of the above discussion about him being ‘too old’, think it represents a selection on attributes and not being tempted by stats or something nice and shiny.

He’s something the list doesn’t have, a genuine 80 metre player who pings the footy low, flat and hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back