Player Watch #36 Jeff Garlett - 2017 AA Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

9 touches, 3 goals, 33.3% disposal efficiency. Wouldn't say he was brilliant, but he roved some packs well, picked up his standard few sausage rolls strolling into an open goal and put on a fair bit of pressure.

I was excited from his practice match report last week that mentioned impressive forwardline pressure. Very happy to see that translate into the seniors after it being non-existent last year.

9 touches, 3 goals, 33.3% disposal efficiency. Wouldn't say he was brilliant, but he roved some packs well, picked up his standard few sausage rolls strolling into an open goal and put on a fair bit of pressure.
Played pretty much the perfect small forward game then

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

I thought his pressure was brilliant.

It's funny the role of the small forward used to be to kick goals in a phone box and bananas from the crowd. Now apart from Betts it's to just be faster than everyone else and tackle heaps

Yep. As great as it is that he's quick, chipping into the wide open spaces won't have such happy returns against well organised defences.

Played pretty much the perfect small forward game then

If the goal of the small forward is to not hit any of his team mates... ? Useful and did a job, sure, but let's not go overboard here.

If the goal of the small forward is to not hit any of his team mates... ? Useful and did a job, sure, but let's not go overboard here.
Apply great defensive pressure and snag a few goals. His reading off the packa for a couple of them was perfect

Apply great defensive pressure and snag a few goals. His reading off the packa for a couple of them was perfect

That's the minimum he should give every week, not a performance he gets a pat on the back for

That's the minimum he should give every week, not a performance he gets a pat on the back for
So he should kick a minimum 66 goals for the year

I said it the GBF thread. Garlett was among our most important players. Without his speed and crumbing, it would be same old same old against the Saint. With this 'new' game style we have up and running, a multi-speed forward line is essential. It was the best our forward line has operated in ages. Moving players going in all directions. Garlett was a big part of it.

And anyone who kicks 3 goals in a game probably deserves an A rating regardless of what else they did. The whole point of footy is to you know, kick goals.

I reckon the goal of small forwards is to kick goals. 3 in a game is 99% of the job done as far as I'm concerned. The other 1% is chasing and tackling, which he seemed to do anyway, no?

I reckon the goal of small forwards is to kick goals. 3 in a game is 99% of the job done as far as I'm concerned. The other 1% is chasing and tackling, which he seemed to do anyway, no?
He was stiff to have that snap touched on the way through also.
I don't remember Jeffy ever being brilliant in the traditional footy player sense of the word. He is there to kick those sneaky ones out the back and performs his role well.
When Cyril gets 12 touches and bags 4 or 5 Clarkson isn't pulling him aside and asking why he isn't getting more contested footy or taking more overhead marks.
Let Jeffy go out there and Jeffy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he should kick a minimum 66 goals for the year

The minimum effort and tackling pressure. 2 of his goals were the result of long kicks and him using his speed. Hardly anything special.
Plenty of games he won't get so lucky out the back but as long as he plays the team defence he's done his job

It was the best our forward line has operated in ages.
It was the best our midfield delivered the ball to our forwards that I can remember.

I'm not sure if one was because of the other or if they both happened on the same week, but I am leaning towards the delivery being the cause.

edit: I also feel that Garlett is critical for us in the forward pocket, best crumber we have by a mile, fantastic defensive pressure and total class as a goal sneak.

He was stiff to have that snap touched on the way through also.
When Cyril gets 12 touches and bags 4 or 5 Clarkson isn't pulling him aside and asking why he isn't getting more contested footy or taking more overhead marks. Let Jeffy go out there and Jeffy.
This is exactly it. Not everyone needs to be hard-at-it, ball winning, in-and-under <insert more cliches> 30-touch game earning midfielder. You need a balance in the side. His job is to do precisely what he did. Find a way to kick a few goals any way you can, lay a few tackles inside 50 and drag defenders away from your big key forwards.

The problem with these types of players is that when the team isn't playing well, they don't get much opportunity and therefore everyone starts criticising them for being lazy or lack of pressure or not performing their defensive duties or some other BS. Sure, there are instances when that may be true, but it stands out with these guys more. The same will be said of Hunt I reckon. We will have some down games and he will get 10 touches and get potted. You need these guys in the side though. They have weapons that other players don't have and are extremely difficult to defend against. No team in the league would have stopped Garlett's goals. In fact, he should have kicked 4. The one that was touched was his fault for being too cute I thought.

Let Jeff be Jeff

Couldn't find a thread, if the mods know there is one buried somewhere please merge.

God he was good on Saturday. Didn't kick a huge bag but his pressure was A+. Couldn't believe SENs ridiculous player ratings only giving him a 5, he was much better than that. 3 goals and a **** ton of pressure is a brilliant game for a small forward.
Is that 5 out of 10? How do their ratings work?

Congrats to Jeffrey on his 150th game this weekend. Has been a ridiculous steal for us, and with him notching up his 50th game for the Red and Blue later this year (barring disastrous injury and/or drastic form lapse) it would be good to see him continue on for another 2-3 years at least.

Congrats to Jeffrey on his 150th game this weekend. Has been a ridiculous steal for us, and with him notching up his 50th game for the Red and Blue later this year (barring disastrous injury and/or drastic form lapse) it would be good to see him continue on for another 2-3 years at least.
I really think it's all about intensity with Jeffy. He's a jet when he's switched on, but some games he seems to really not have his head in the match at all. If I was his coach I wouldn't even have him thinking about goals, just tackling pressure. With his pace and ability to crumb a pack the goals take care of themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back