Past #36: Joel Crocker - delisted after being selected w/ #69 in 2018 ND - thanks Crock

Remove this Banner Ad

His old man would've been a 300 gamer if his body was more resilient. Absolute heart and soul type and tough as nails - played both 1994 finals with a broken jaw.

He kicked a massive momentum-swinging goal in the third quarter of the 1996 GF. It was one of the loudest roars I've ever heard from a North crowd.
I swear to this day I heard a pre-emptive roar before that goal.

Good player Crock senior.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Never in doubt , he’s rated pretty highly by a few renowned people involved in under age footy . Injuries have stopped him in his tracks , might’ve been a top 20 pick .
Yeah must be interest from other clubs forcing our hand, explains Hayden to the rookie list. I remember one of those early clips of all the father/son kids at the club a few years ago with Scholls kid saying Crocker was a freak.

I’m no draft expert but I thought father son and academy bids worked like this.

Players nominate club eg. North with Bailey Scott or Geelong with Oscar Brownless

Draft is live. If Port Adelaide think Bailey Scott is worth pick 5 when it is their pick (after picks 1 to 4) they choose him.

North is then on the clock- match with a 20% discount on points and a reshuffling of draft picks or not match and Port Adelaide has Scott and Gold Coast make pick 6.

Anyhoo good luck to Crocker in getting to NMFC.

I haven't heard anything of the sort, do you have a link to an article he wrote? I think you might have misinterpreted something he said.

why do you think that? just because you didnt know about it?

heres one article where it is mentioned http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-18/indemand-draft-prospect-to-make-call-on-future

Scott has until closer to November's NAB AFL Draft to lodge his preferred home, but under the revised father-son and Academy bidding system which came in 2015, he will also be able to enter other preferences.

It means should a bid come on Scott from a rival club and his first preferred club does not want to match it, the next club on his preferences will be able to jump in and match the bid.

why do you think that? just because you didnt know about it?

Yeah, pretty much. Because there was no mention of it in any of the AFL or newspaper publications that explained the new father-son/academy system in detail.

I am just surprised that it hasn't been something that has been mentioned a lot more given the number of players that have had more than one club as an option.

It would be nice when the AFL make s**t up that they would release the full set of rules to the public.

Take this for what it's worth from my recruiting mate about Crocker.

Watched closely in 2017, showed a lot promise but injury ruined his last 18 months. Not sure how he has come on as he hasn't been on the park but has talent. He thinks he is similar to young Will Walker

Take this for what it's worth from my recruiting mate about Crocker.

Watched closely in 2017, showed a lot promise but injury ruined his last 18 months. Not sure how he has come on as he hasn't been on the park but has talent. He thinks he is similar to young Will Walker

He'll play taller than Will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meet the Crockers: A North Melbourne family

At North Melbourne, Darren Crocker is part of the furniture, a premiership player who made his debut for the Kangaroos in the No.49 jumper against Hawthorn on the Queen’s birthday holiday in 1985.

His first game ended in a draw, a result Crocker would not experience for the rest of an outstanding, although injury interrupted, 165-game career that wound up in 1998.

By 2004, Crocker had joined North Melbourne’s coaching panel and his unflappable personality has remained a feature of the club in the 15 seasons since, with the 51-year-old now the club’s coaching director.

By Friday, his 18-year-old son Joel will join him at work after the Kangaroos decided to nominate the Brighton Grammar student as a father-son selection before the draft.

Darren coached Joel as a junior at St Kilda City and had his son by his side often when inside the football club, so the young draftee knows what to expect.

He could not be more positive about the possibility of learning football under the same roof as his father.

‘‘I loved having dad around as a coach. I know it is an AFL club and it is different to local footy but I reckon it will be fine. It will be fun to be honest,’’ Crocker told The Sunday Age.

Unfortunately in football terms, the talented youngster had a final season of junior footy that can best be described as ‘‘a Barry Crocker’’, the rhyming slang term for a shocker.

2893f2a5b8852b3017fa097d1ccfbef0e2481128

Bound for the Roos: Joel Crocker.Credit:Fairfax Media

The problems began for Joel when he suffered a syndesmosis injury to his left ankle in last year’s TAC Cup elimination final while playing for the Sandringham Dragons against the Murray Bushrangers.

He missed this year’s preseason as a result but was hopeful he would have his form and fitness back to vie for a spot in the Vic Metro squad at the under-18 championships, starting the season playing the first two games for Brighton Grammar under the expert tutelage of former AFL coach and player Robert Shaw.

But during training after school, between his second and third game, he suffered another syndesmosis injury, but this time it was his right ankle.

‘‘There was a little bit of a ditch in the ground and I kicked the ball – no contact or anything – and put my foot down and my foot landed in the ditch,’’ Crocker said.

7aea1148dc9e3b371ae84702694cae9b2541ab7d

Joel Crocker.Credit:Simon Schluter

Surgery in May laid him up in bed for two weeks and ended any chance he had of playing in his final season at school for either Brighton Grammar or the Sandringham Dragons.

He was flat in more ways than one, having to lay on his back and watch TV shows and movies on Netflix for a fortnight, not only missing football but having to cope with losing a couple of weeks study early on in year 12.

But the amiable 18-year-old found a way to turn his mindset around.

‘‘It was a pretty tough time but once I got through those first few weeks I knew I could not just keep feeling not good about myself,’’ Crocker said.

‘‘I had to think positive things throughout it so I started, luckily enough, to get a good program of rehab to complete.’’

He began to build some muscle on his light frame, adding six kilograms to his thin arms and legs during the year. He stood alongside Shaw when Brighton Grammar played, helping out where he could but mainly learning from the coach.

‘‘It was great to be able to just watch the game and see it from a different angle and, if I saw something, I was able to talk to the players and help them,’’ he said.

He also used the opportunity he didn’t imagine he would have to spend more time relaxing with friends while they completed their final year of school together, an invaluable investment in the future.

672d83b73c940f3034b66170f579c46557d79430

Darren Crocker at the Roos in 2013.Credit:Joe Armao

‘‘The year was going to be footy and school but once footy went out the way I was able to hang out with my mates a bit more,’’ Crocker said.

But his desire to play AFL remains as strong as ever as he contemplates joining the Kangaroos, who saw enough of his talent last year to back him in.

The youngster is also confident his injury worries are behind him.

‘‘It never made me think footy is not for me,’’ Crocker said. ‘‘Dad had a few injuries and he ended up forging a good career.’’

Meet the Crockers: A North Melbourne family

At North Melbourne, Darren Crocker is part of the furniture, a premiership player who made his debut for the Kangaroos in the No.49 jumper against Hawthorn on the Queen’s birthday holiday in 1985.

His first game ended in a draw, a result Crocker would not experience for the rest of an outstanding, although injury interrupted, 165-game career that wound up in 1998.

By 2004, Crocker had joined North Melbourne’s coaching panel and his unflappable personality has remained a feature of the club in the 15 seasons since, with the 51-year-old now the club’s coaching director.

By Friday, his 18-year-old son Joel will join him at work after the Kangaroos decided to nominate the Brighton Grammar student as a father-son selection before the draft.

Darren coached Joel as a junior at St Kilda City and had his son by his side often when inside the football club, so the young draftee knows what to expect.

He could not be more positive about the possibility of learning football under the same roof as his father.

‘‘I loved having dad around as a coach. I know it is an AFL club and it is different to local footy but I reckon it will be fine. It will be fun to be honest,’’ Crocker told The Sunday Age.

Unfortunately in football terms, the talented youngster had a final season of junior footy that can best be described as ‘‘a Barry Crocker’’, the rhyming slang term for a shocker.

2893f2a5b8852b3017fa097d1ccfbef0e2481128

Bound for the Roos: Joel Crocker.Credit:Fairfax Media

The problems began for Joel when he suffered a syndesmosis injury to his left ankle in last year’s TAC Cup elimination final while playing for the Sandringham Dragons against the Murray Bushrangers.

He missed this year’s preseason as a result but was hopeful he would have his form and fitness back to vie for a spot in the Vic Metro squad at the under-18 championships, starting the season playing the first two games for Brighton Grammar under the expert tutelage of former AFL coach and player Robert Shaw.

But during training after school, between his second and third game, he suffered another syndesmosis injury, but this time it was his right ankle.

‘‘There was a little bit of a ditch in the ground and I kicked the ball – no contact or anything – and put my foot down and my foot landed in the ditch,’’ Crocker said.

7aea1148dc9e3b371ae84702694cae9b2541ab7d

Joel Crocker.Credit:Simon Schluter

Surgery in May laid him up in bed for two weeks and ended any chance he had of playing in his final season at school for either Brighton Grammar or the Sandringham Dragons.

He was flat in more ways than one, having to lay on his back and watch TV shows and movies on Netflix for a fortnight, not only missing football but having to cope with losing a couple of weeks study early on in year 12.

But the amiable 18-year-old found a way to turn his mindset around.

‘‘It was a pretty tough time but once I got through those first few weeks I knew I could not just keep feeling not good about myself,’’ Crocker said.

‘‘I had to think positive things throughout it so I started, luckily enough, to get a good program of rehab to complete.’’

He began to build some muscle on his light frame, adding six kilograms to his thin arms and legs during the year. He stood alongside Shaw when Brighton Grammar played, helping out where he could but mainly learning from the coach.

‘‘It was great to be able to just watch the game and see it from a different angle and, if I saw something, I was able to talk to the players and help them,’’ he said.

He also used the opportunity he didn’t imagine he would have to spend more time relaxing with friends while they completed their final year of school together, an invaluable investment in the future.

672d83b73c940f3034b66170f579c46557d79430

Darren Crocker at the Roos in 2013.Credit:Joe Armao

‘‘The year was going to be footy and school but once footy went out the way I was able to hang out with my mates a bit more,’’ Crocker said.

But his desire to play AFL remains as strong as ever as he contemplates joining the Kangaroos, who saw enough of his talent last year to back him in.

The youngster is also confident his injury worries are behind him.

‘‘It never made me think footy is not for me,’’ Crocker said. ‘‘Dad had a few injuries and he ended up forging a good career.’’
Thanks snake - couldn't read this one on that left wing puppet show that is the age. ;)

The kid is resilient.

Its great that he was able to find so many ways to make positives out of his injury. And that one of them was hanging on the bench with the coach of his footy team watching and learning and developing his footy knowledge.

We could end up with some really smart footy players out of this draft.

Because we’ve nominated him does that mean we have to take him in the national draft? Or will we still have the option to rookie him

No.

If he’s not selected or bid on by another team in the national draft, we can instantly take him with our last pick in the rookie draft.

Because we’ve nominated him does that mean we have to take him in the national draft? Or will we still have the option to rookie him
Looking like Hayden was moved over to make space for this kid Funny that their build up to the draft had some parallels with injuries ect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back