Past 36. Josh Honey

36 honey.jpg

Last edited:
He had aspects of his game to work on
apparently not - as caro would say, it's staggering to hear so many should worshipers deciding when players should have been selected - because they seem to have this idea their knowledge of the player, his circumstances and situation at the club is somehow better than the myriad of professionals who work there

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
apparently not - as caro would say, it's staggering to hear so many should worshipers deciding when players should have been selected - because they seem to have this idea their knowledge of the player, his circumstances and situation at the club is somehow better than the myriad of professionals who work there
We're in agreement.
Few on here get down to VFL games as highlighted by the notion that our youngsters are banging down the door only to be held out of the side by Teague's fixation with more experienced players.
The question is, how many hindsight heroes would be acknowledging that they were wrong, had Honey struggled to get a kick?

Kruezing

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
This is true … however on the flip side there are coaches who have preferred players when determining selection and are quite stubborn … an example I can give is during the Malthouse era a player who was touted as a possible captain of the club was never selected again and then delisted following a tiff with the coach at training … human nature … lots of variables … I think what most of us want is that personal stuff can be put aside when deciding what is best for the team …

mjonc43

Premium Platinum
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Talk of retiring Eddie might be a bit much, he's had a good year for a small forward and deserves another year. As for Honey was really happy to see him play and take his opportunity, shame it wasn't given earlier in the season but we're here now. Looks to have a bit of forward craft about him and brings others into the game, nothing flashy but could turn into a solid contributor. Few up and under kicks that had me a little worried but 3 goal assists and 2 goals is a great effort.

I love Eddie, and so happy to watch him live again a few times, but it’s time to move the older players on and let the young ones take control.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

mjonc43

Premium Platinum
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Thought he was very unselfish, along with most of our forwards/team, which benefited the whole.

Has a great attack on the ball when it's in his area, but needs to continue to stay involved.

Definitely stays in for the rest of the year no matter what happens

Exactly. But you only improve by playing at a higher level. If form drops then you go back and work on it. That is the fundamental problem at Carlton, we don’t give players in form the opportunity.

From all the leaks on the report, that is a key finding.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Exactly. But you only improve by playing at a higher level. If form drops then you go back and work on it. That is the fundamental problem at Carlton, we don’t give players in form the opportunity.

Leaks on the report? I take it you have a copy?

Healer

Club Legend
Apr 16, 2018
Timboon
AFL Club
Carlton

So called "findings" reported by trolls.
I'd hold off on calling anything a key finding until its officially released by the club or recognised ITK.

Honey bringing physical presence in FWD50, Stocker bringing it in DEF50, do we have anyone in the middle of the park who brings it?

Either way, having one bloke at each end of the ground will make opposition panic about getting hit 😁
Another preseason, Dow, Kennedy, and LOB will be hurting guys and them secpond guess themselves, ahh unsociable football is back at the blues.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Jack Watts is a prime example in recent times of not rushing in teenage/young players when they were not physically or mentally prepared for the tough slog that is AFL Footy ?

Who is to say this wasn't also an issue for Honey and to a lesser extent LOB ?

Seems like a long apprenticeship in the VFL has done both boys the world of good.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
He's a big strong body who has speed to burn and likes physical contact, he's going to be a real weapon, he's going to make defenders hurt. His kicking needs to tidy up which is a bit of a worry but he has a hell of a lot to like about his game. He's not like some of our little blokes who baulk when there is contact around the ground balls, he just bores straight through, he's what our forward line needs.

Jul 7, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
He's a big strong body who has speed to burn and likes physical contact, he's going to be a real weapon, he's going to make defenders hurt. His kicking needs to tidy up which is a bit of a worry but he has a hell of a lot to like about his game. He's not like some of our little blokes who baulk when there is contact around the ground balls, he just bores straight through, he's what our forward line needs.

Yep, we’ve had elusive forwards who are hard to catch but if you do catch them they’re dead. I like that Honey is hard to catch and just as hard to stop if you do lay a hand on him.

I also like that he can threaten as a leading target, a 1on1 mark and fly over a pack as well as his ground game. I really think the sky is the limit with him.

mjonc43

Premium Platinum
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Reminds me of Gary Rohan

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
With more secure shorts, hopefully.
Reminds me of Gary Rohan

Lock up your physios.

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Have been impatiently waiting for Josh to be selected this year.

He has the attributes required to have an impact at AFL Level - speed, strength and appetite for the contest. Pretty good mark for his size and a nice kick.

Love to see him hold his position in the team the next three rounds because I feel he’s got a game winning moment in him.

Back