Past 36. Josh Honey

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Carlton fans!

This week we talked about Josh Honey in our weekly newsletter. How do you guys think he is progressing?

Check out our analysis below.

Josh Honey (#36) for Carlton has shown a few nice things in his return to the seniors the last few weeks. Honey is a mid sized forward picked up in the 2020 rookie draft. He debuted for one game in 2020 but Honey has solidified his spot in the last couple of weeks. At 184cm, Honey plays well above his height. He’s strong over head because of his athleticism – allowing him to launch in the air and get separation on his leads.

I’d describe Honey as a dynamic player with impressive athleticism. He’s always on the move, which makes him dangerous in a forward 50 scenario when the ball is in dispute. He’s rewarded with a goal assist here simply because he doesn’t give up on the play and stays on the move.

10 minutes later, he has the strength to drive through the tackle and set up another goal.

He knows where the goals are and puts himself in dangerous positions to hit up at the football or be there at ground level to rove packs. When he gets his shot on goal, he rarely wastes them. He has a beautiful and compact set shot, allowing him to kick through ball.

Honey’s kicked 4 goals and had 3 goal assists in the last two weeks. That’s a great return for a mid-sized forward. Obviously it’s a small sample size and unsustainable but it’s a step in the right direction for a player considered quite raw coming into the AFL. Honey is currently in the role assumed by Gibbons who is out for the year. It’ll be interesting to see where Carlton use Honey from here. On this form, he’s a clear best 22 player with upside to develop into anything given his athleticism and size . Honey could grow into a midfielder later down the track and given how thin Carlton’s midfield is outside of Walsh and Cripps, it may be worth seeing Honey in that role before the season ends.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome.

I am a bit surprised Josh is staying on the rookie list. It's great for us that he is but I thought he'd be elevated to the senior list.

Either way, very happy he's going around again - showed some great signs late in the year - and tipping he takes another big stride forward in 2022.

Expect this guy to kick on next year. Think he’s primed for a breakout year. Hoping he cements himself alongside Harry, Charlie & Jack.

Wrapped to have this young man sign on.

Would have liked to see him get a 2 year contract. Not to worry though. He will well and truly cement his spot next year. Has raw power and explosiveness that we really lack in the team.

Hoping for a huge break out year next year for Honey🍯🍯
Noticed a few fringe/developing players getting 1 year deals. While I'd also love to see him get more than one, I can understand the reasoning (or assumed reasoning).
New coach and majority of assistants. Gives Voss and his team a chance to asses the list and see who does/doesn't suit the new game plan. Puts players on notice and doesn't hamstring the club at the end of next year by having players still under contract and unable to be moved on (hoping that's not the case for Honey, but smart list management).

You beauty.
Saw what this bloke can do and he will only get better.
Good mover, attacks the footy, makes the play.
Will be playing in our next premiership.

Power and Speed is the young man.

One year is fair enough seems like we are looking at something we might get in 2022 a player unknown to us at the moment that has half committed or make Honey hungrier to stamp his authority in the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back