Past #36: Josh Williams - drafted #36 2016 ND - 2 games/1 goal - delisted end 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to Josh Williams

From afl.com.au

Selection No.36 – Josh Williams
Bryce Lewis says: "Josh is very quick and he like to run and break lines, while he's proved himself to be a goalkicker too. He's still very much learning the game, so he's going to be a work in progress as an outside mid. Needs to put on some size and work on his endurance, but he's certainly shown his preparedness to work hard."

nmfc.com.au:

Josh Williams - Pick 36

Bryce Lewis Says:

“Josh was one of the quickest players in the draft. He’s an outside-mid who likes to run and carry and take the game on. He’s also been a goal-kicker.

“He’s a good size, about 188 or 189 (centimetres), but needs to put on a little bit of size which he’ll be able to do.

“He’s a player that with his speed and his run, we think has got really appealing attributes."

Josh on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Jwil_98

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Williams- Has elite speed and uses it well. You can kick the ball in front of him and he will get there first and then put 10m on his man. However his kicking lacks polish and he tends to kick everything at full speed. Similarly, he has the same problem with his goalkicking. Has produced to a good standard in the NEAFL but will need to work on staying in the game and being able to find his own ball as he is very much a receiver at this stage. He does tend to create chances at goal though and could be a handy half forward/wingman at his size and with his physical attributes.

Not enthused by this selection tbh. Fast but very outside and lacks polish.

But hey, wtf would I know?

Good luck Josh.

Josh Williams- Has elite speed and uses it well. You can kick the ball in front of him and he will get there first and then put 10m on his man. However his kicking lacks polish and he tends to kick everything at full speed. Similarly, he has the same problem with his goalkicking. Has produced to a good standard in the NEAFL but will need to work on staying in the game and being able to find his own ball as he is very much a receiver at this stage. He does tend to create chances at goal though and could be a handy half forward/wingman at his size and with his physical attributes.

i hope we just didn't recruit someone because they have leg speed....

Josh Williams

GC are likely to take three of their academy kids in the draft and there is a fair bit of uncertainty about whether Williams or Scheer goes after Bowes. I like Scheer quite a bit more but others prefer Williams. Williams is originally from Townsville which is not exactly a hotbed of AFL talent and it is a credit to him to have gotten this far. He is pretty certain to be drafted and has a decent chance of making it as an AFL player.

Williams is a wingman and the player I would compare Williams to is Andrew Gaff from West Coast. He is a long striding wingman who covers the ground very quickly and can break zones down. He loves a bounce and he moves through traffic really well. He has a nice step and swerve at pace and is difficult to tackle. He does a great job of passing off and flowing on to link up. This is one of the best parts of his game and he is very dangerous when he connects up and works at speed.

Like Gaff, Williams has a lot of hurt factor on his kicks and he does a good job keeping the ball moving toward goal. He plays on quickly and assesses his options well. One of the things which makes Gaff elite and which Williams does not have is penetration on his kicks. It is interesting how variable his penetration is. Sometimes he is decent whilst at others he struggles to kick over the proverbial jam tin. At the Champs he left a set shot from 35 short. This was not the only time he struggled to hit even a medium distance target. With that said he does have a nice low short kick that gets to the man quickly and on target. This is particularly effective when delivering into 50 and he has the ability to execute it effectively at speed. He was in the top 12 in the kicking tests at the Combine.

Williams has nice height at 189cm but he needs to put on some more weight given he weighed in at just 73kgs. At the Combine he had a seriously mixed results. He had some very good results and some really ordinary ones as well. 2.93 in the 20m was a very good result but the 9.06 in the agility test was very poor. His 13.1 beep test and 11.22 in the 3km were disappointing and do raise questions about his ability to play his natural position early. Unlike Gaff, Williams does not have an elite tank and he is going to need to work hard to improve his endurance if he wants to be more than a bit player at AFL level. His 30m repeat spring was in the top quartile which was quite good and his jumps were all around the median.

Williams plays pretty exclusively on the outside but when he finds himself onball, like Gaff, he can have an impact. He is good at hitting the contest with speed and collecting and going. He does not have the cleanest hands but they are not terrible and are something to work with. He is not very strong over the ball though and leaves his feet a bit too easily for my liking. As he puts on some bulk this may change but I expect that he might always be a bit prone to being buffeted around easily in body on body contests.

Williams has a lot of class about him and if he develops he could be the kind of player who tops off a good list. He has a very high ceiling and I will be very surprised if GC do not match on him.

Pretty ordinary with what was on the board, but I've been plenty wrong before.

Strange second and third picks

Really like what In the highlights from this kid. Must admit that's all I've seen, but still, I don't get the negativity. We have loads of ball winners. Judging by his clip he's very quick and evasive.

I've always thought you can add outside players after you build a core of inside types.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back