Past #36: Josh Williams - drafted #36 2016 ND - 2 games/1 goal - delisted end 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

probably something similar to what we paid for Hrovat, does that seem fair to you?
Hrovat had played 30 games.

To be honest with you, I think our approach is fairer to the player. Rather than stringing them along for another six to eight weeks, at which point they may be delisted anyway, this lets them get on with their lives, either by letting talk directly with other clubs, perhaps get ready to move interstate, and frankly saves us the hassle of trying to put a deal together for a shuffle of picks.

probably something similar to what we paid for Hrovat, does that seem fair to you?

There were at least two clubs interested in Hrovat, and he left for a fresh start/more opportunities, not because the Dogs didn't want him or were going to delist him. I'm not sure how you're making this comparable to draftees who don't make the grade and are set to be delisted - no club is going to drop down the order in the top 30-40 picks to get someone who is clearly not going to be offered another contract.

Hrovat had played 30 games.

To be honest with you, I think our approach is fairer to the player. Rather than stringing them along for another six to eight weeks, at which point they may be delisted anyway, this lets them get on with their lives, either by letting talk directly with other clubs, perhaps get ready to move interstate, and frankly saves us the hassle of trying to put a deal together for a shuffle of picks.

and that is a fair response, our club does a lot right at this time of the year and this isn't purely a Josh Williams thing, it is more about the club getting a fair deal for players leaving our club and ending up at another club we rarely get a return, but then I do have to remember our good players rarely leave.

There were at least two clubs interested in Hrovat, and he left for a fresh start/more opportunities, not because the Dogs didn't want him or were going to delist him. I'm not sure how you're making this comparable to draftees who don't make the grade and are set to be delisted - no club is going to drop down the order in the top 30-40 picks to get someone who is clearly not going to be offered another contract.

TD we have the same disagreement each and every year, I think we have to just agree we will never agree on this.

Care to name the "A grade talent" from the 2nd rounds of those drafts?
Jack Viney (f/s), Matt Crouch, Zach Merrett, Toby Nankervis, Alex Pearce, Toby McLean, Connor Blakely, Alex Witherden, Tom Stewart, Parfitt and Fisher both tracking very nicely too.
Probably more alarming that three of our last six second round picks are already delisted rather than the lack of top line players we've found in that part of the draft.

Jack Viney (f/s), Matt Crouch, Zach Merrett, Toby Nankervis, Alex Pearce, Toby McLean, Connor Blakely, Alex Witherden, Tom Stewart, Parfitt and Fisher both tracking very nicely too.
Probably more alarming that three of our last six second round picks are already delisted rather than the lack of top line players we've found in that part of the draft.

So basically, two players, and Merrett & Crouch were both taken before our 2nd round pick in the 2013 draft.

It seems that just about every club in the AFL aren't that great in that part of the draft.

Last edited:
Last ten second rounders:
Will Walker - I rate him highly
Josh Williams - gone
Dec Watson - massive question marks
Ryan Clarke - could still be good. Played a lot of footy for us though.
Mitchell Hibberd - gone
Dan Nielson - gone
Ed Vickers-Willis - I rate him highly
Trent Dumont - Potentially on the verge of being a great player
Ben Jacobs - very good player
Mason Wood - Mr Potential

Mixed bag with some bad hits and no A-grade talent. Seems we're not great in that part of the draft.

I'd say Jacobs and EV Dub (if he plays a few seasons) are good enough that given time they'll be considered A grade players.

If Froggy maintains the form he finished the season with for a year or two he will be and that still leaves Will Walker (who looks like he could be a gun,) and Mason Wood as potentially A graders as well. I don't think Clarke will ever be at that level but if he fixes his deficiencies over a couple of seasons he could be up there as well.

Good luck kid.:thumbsu:

Roo lands at Gold Coast

FORMER Suns midfielder Aaron Hall has headed to North Melbourne but a former Kangaroo is poised to continue his own footy career on the Gold Coast.Former Gold Coast academy player Josh Williams has signed with NEAFL premiership team Southport Sharks.

Josh Williams has signed with NEAFL premiership team Southport Sharks after being delisted by North Melbourne at the end of the 2018 AFL season

Josh Williams has signed with NEAFL premiership team Southport Sharks.

Josh Williams has signed with NEAFL premiership team Southport Shark

NOTSUREIF.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back