Past #36: Josh Williams - drafted #36 2016 ND - 2 games/1 goal - delisted end 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

How's Josh tracking? My father was really close friends with his old man. Hopefully he gets an extension if not i know Gold Coast rated him highly as a junior

Was solid and consistent last year but has looked a bit off so far this season. He is working on the defensive aspects of his game but hasn’t been finding much of the pill.

Season is only early days but I’d say he is way down the pecking order at present.

VFL watchers?
He was there today and I think he played on a wing. Had a couple of runs when clear and his disposal let him down. I didn't notice him a lot, have to keep an eye on my little boy, but has some wheels and maybe just needs a bit more of the ball to be damaging. Just another footballer at the moment, without being rude.

How's Josh tracking? My father was really close friends with his old man. Hopefully he gets an extension if not i know Gold Coast rated him highly as a junior

They didn't rate him high enough to take him.

He shows some good traits, but needs to find more of the ball.

VFL: Working for Williams
Brock Ellis

4 July 2018 6:00 PM

There’s few players blessed with the speed of Josh Williams, but that natural ability doesn’t necessarily go hand-in-hand with winning the ball.

Two years into his AFL career, the 20-year-old is aiming to grow his all-round game, and his hard work is paying dividends.

“My work-rate has been a really big thing for me,” Williams told North Media.

“If I’m getting into the right spots, I’ve found that I’m often able to get used well. When I give it off the deck and get the footy again, I’m just making sure I use my run and carry from there.”

Williams played twice in the AFL last season, booting a memorable goal with his first kick against Essendon on his debut, followed by a second appearance against Collingwood in Round 20.

Having gotten a taste of senior footy, the youngster is determined to take the next step in his development.

“It gave me a lot of confidence playing in the AFL,” he said.

“I was probably a bit unlucky to go back to the VFL, as I was playing okay. But it’s definitely given me some confidence going forward, showing that I definitely belong.

“I’m now just working to get myself back up to AFL level.”

The second-year midfielder, who has split his time in the VFL with Werribee in 2017 and North’s standalone side this year, believes a streamlined strategy that mirrors the approach of the Roos’ AFL side is having a big impact on his development.

“We’re all on the same page. The message is the same from the AFL right through to the VFL.

“It’s pretty easy to go from there when the message is always the same. If you’re doing the right thing in the VFL, it’s going to directly correlate to AFL level as well.”

Despite his exceptional use of the footy and improved decision-making, Williams believes he still has some work to do at the coalface.

“I’ve been looking to equal, if not win, as many contested ball situations as much as I can,” he said.

“I’ve put on nine kilos since last year, you might not notice it, but it’s definitely helped. The weight gain has improved my speed in contests as well. Whether it be contested or aerial, it’s really been helping me out.

“If I continue to work hard and do that, it’s going to put me in good stead.”

Fans are invited to attend Saturday’s VFL match against Casey Demons at Casey Fields, with the first bounce at 2.10pm. The game will be broadcast live on Channel 7.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really hope we persist with Williams, he has long-term attributes that our best 22 need.
Agreed. With his height and build he needs at least one more year to fill out into his body to see what he can do with it. Always had difficulty finding enough of the footy, but that seems to be steadily improving. I also reckon he might just have a game that is better suited to AFL than VFL.

Agreed. With his height and build he needs at least one more year to fill out into his body to see what he can do with it. Always had difficulty finding enough of the footy, but that seems to be steadily improving. I also reckon he might just have a game that is better suited to AFL than VFL.
Being predominately an outside player in our VFL team doesn't help as our VFL inside mids are either very raw or are short people and gets beaten up on quite a lot this year against sides like Essendon and Richmond.

“I was probably a bit unlucky to go back to the VFL, as I was playing okay. But it’s definitely given me some confidence going forward, showing that I definitely belong.

Yeh, you know, that's something for your coach to say in an interview. Probably don't trot that line out yourself.

Yeh, you know, that's something for your coach to say in an interview. Probably don't trot that line out yourself.
...especially when you’re still languishing in the VFL 12 months later. Sounds like the kid needs a reality check.

In his first game he kicked a goal, took 6 marks and made 3 tackles and had 14 disposals, 13 effective, but we lost to Essendon.

Then he got dropped and that was unlucky as Taz, JZ and Preuss came in the next week.

The week after he got picked again for the Collingwood game (because Jy got dropped I spose) but didn't do much (12 d, 4 m, 1 t). His DE was 50% as opposed to 90+ in that first game. He kicked 2 behinds, perhaps if he'd kicked straight he would have had a better run. He got dropped as Kanye, Jy and the Zurhaar got a run.

That comment he made was probably straight from a coaches mouth and he's been holding on to it ever since.

Reality check?

FMD.

He's playing 2's, so I'm pretty sure he's well aware of where he's at.

He says he was unlucky to get dropped. So apparently not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back