Player Watch #36: Kozzy Pickett – Signed until 2027! 🎉

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason Taylor recruited Jackson fully expecting him to be the best ruckman in the game. He would've known, and expected, big offers to come for Jackson. You use the JHF as an example. North Melbourne too didn't do their job. I'm not saying it's an easy job but I think with club psychologists, a full team of recruiting stuff, assessing a players risk of leaving is extremely important. I'm not saying that we didn't do everything we could to keep Jackson. But obviously no red flags went off during the interview stages. If what you're saying is true then how would you explain why Perth teams like WCE and Freo lean towards W.A players in the draft? It's because it's not their job just to pick the best player, but instead the best player that will most likely stay.

We also could've paid Jackson the same amount that Freo offered. Especially with the amount we threw at Grundy.
So Taylor should be recruiting players that aren't that good, so he could feel more sure that big offers from other clubs would be unlikely?

I thought it was Grundy being paid 1 mill a season but 300k a season taken off from Collingwood = 700k a season for Grundy by us. He has 5 years on his contract remaining which means 3.5mill in total. Next season he'll be 29. So if he has 3 good seasons of footy left in him it's essentially 1.1mill a season, if he has 4 good seasons left in him it's essentially 875k left per season.

So similar to what Jackson was offered by Freo.

I think you misunderstand how a salary cap works..........

Whether Grundy plays for 5 years or not, it doesn't impact the salary cap for next year. Or the year after. If he is on $700k a year then that costs us $700k a year out of the salary cap. Not $1m, like Jackson is getting at Freo.

For what it's worth at 18 I would have moved to any state for a well paying job in the field I wanted to work in. At 21 I would have left that state for any other state for a $300k a year payrise. Hell, I would have moved for a $50k payrise. Not sure you can even put it down to whether they are a flight risk due to the 'go home factor' or whether plain and simple giant bags of money talk, like they do for most humans.

Whether Grundy plays for 5 years or not, it doesn't impact the salary cap for next year. Or the year after. If he is on $700k a year then that costs us $700k a year out of the salary cap. Not $1m, like Jackson is getting at Freo.

For what it's worth at 18 I would have moved to any state for a well paying job in the field I wanted to work in. At 21 I would have left that state for any other state for a $300k a year payrise. Hell, I would have moved for a $50k payrise. Not sure you can even put it down to whether they are a flight risk due to the 'go home factor' or whether plain and simple giant bags of money talk, like they do for most humans.

Unless it is to play for North, no amount of money could make me do that.

This forum has been absolutely ed by a certain individual. It's dogshit now, just a line up of good posters getting dragged into a *** shitfight with someone who's total contribution is giving the report button a purpose on the dees board.
Awkward Smile And Wave GIF

You sure it's not paying out players who leave the club early using money from previous caps? Pretty sure that's how Carlton got caught being over in 2002. /s

BTW, how about that Pickett kid. He's connected to 2 states so that'll be a 2 million dollar contract, right? /s

If port want hon and he wants to go there we’ll be in a predicament compensation wise. Port will only have a 2024 first to trade. And I’d project them to be a finals team. So yeah we’ll be pushing for a player. I mean Kozzy is an absolute gun. 40 goals in seasons 2 and 3. Let’s just hope he stays.

If port want hon and he wants to go there we’ll be in a predicament compensation wise. Port will only have a 2024 first to trade. And I’d project them to be a finals team. So yeah we’ll be pushing for a player. I mean Kozzy is an absolute gun. 40 goals in seasons 2 and 3. Let’s just hope he stays.
If he does indicate he's going then Butters or Georgiades HAS to be coming our way. Unfortunately Port will have the upper hand. We have to simply find a way to keep him tbh.

You can't always judge "flight risk" when they're 18 years old - look what happened with JHF and North.

We drafted him in 2019, COVID happens, he's in hubs for 2 years and unable to travel home, then gets an offer he can't refuse from his home state a year after winning a flag.

Lots of talk about him "going home" - but I think Freo's offer was just way more than what we or another club were offering. How can a 21 year old turn down almost a mil a year for 7 years (?) coming off an injury interrupted season? How was JT to know what cap position Freo will be in 3 years time and whether they could offer an eye-watering contract to LJ?

With pick 3 we got a really talented and hard-working player who gave us a tactical edge in our premiership year. We also got re-imbursed pretty well for him leaving. I wanted Young or Serong at the time and although they're good players, I'm not sure if they would have made the impact that LJ made in 2021 for our team (noting they're good players, just not really what we need).

The recruiter's job is to pick the most talented bloke possible, whilst taking into account list needs. It's the club's job to make the environment appealing for its players. We seemed to look into almost every possible option to accommodate him, including moving his parents over, but it didn't work out. To be honest, I feel for the young blokes drafted during COVID, there was some factoid that Jake Bowey hadn't even been to a club yet until the GF. I get that young interstate players might want to go home and be closer to family if given the option.

Only in danster's world is JT expected to predict variables like a global pandemic whilst having spaghetti and meatballs with Luke Jackson in 2019
I had the same thoughts but left it. Yes how does a club 'do their research' on players that are 'flight risk'. Unless they are like Archie Perkins who blatantly say they don't want to go interstate then there is no way to tell.

I had the same thoughts but left it. Yes how does a club 'do their research' on players that are 'flight risk'. Unless they are like Archie Perkins who blatantly say they don't want to go interstate then there is no way to tell.
Agree. Unless a player says they’ll 100% go back as soon as they can, you have to back the club in to keep them.

Unless a player explicitly tells you they don't want to play interstate it's basically impossible to know if they will go home or not. They might fall in love with the city or get into a proper relationship, or they might find themselves to be in over their head living away from home.

The vast majority of players would tell the recruiters exactly what they want to hear, because the most important thing for them is getting drafted. It's like when you go to a job interview and the interviewer asks why you want to work for that company and you make up some bs about how you're really passionate about whatever specific product they manufacture rather than just saying 'money'.
I'm pretty sure Wingard told GWS he didn't want to go interstate and would just leave if they drafted him

Funnily enough he ended up moving interstate 5-6 years later anyway

I'm pretty sure Wingard told GWS he didn't want to go interstate and would just leave if they drafted him

By interstate he probably meant he didn't want to go to a start up club. He also came to a club that still had a lot of appeal 3 premierships and finishing top 4 after the home and away season in 2018.

GWS and the Gold Coast appears to be the only clubs I've heard this behaviour reported.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine being stupid enough to only draft Victorian kids 🤣

If we can't keep them that's on us as a club, Richmond, Geelong, Hawthorn managed to just fine winning flags with some interstate players. Imagine if they had forgone drafting Buddy, Taylor, Cyril, Rance, Edwards, Bolton, Hawkins etc to grab some Victorian spuds so they wouldn't get seperation anxiety like old mate knackers on here

Article in SA media about how Port are very keen on him. No s**t every club would be, but geez if he isn’t signed at the bye we all know where this one is going. Would be disastrous to have two of the best young players in the league walk out in consecutive years.

Hope we rookie list Trent Burgoyne to play at Casey and keep Kozz happy if that's what he's looking for given his housemates Bedford and Dogga left last year.

Could be a small investment to get him to sign another contract and hopefully settle down in Melbourne

Article in SA media about how Port are very keen on him. No s**t every club would be, but geez if he isn’t signed at the bye we all know where this one is going. Would be disastrous to have two of the best young players in the league walk out in consecutive years.
Doesn't look good does it.

Losing Dogga then Koz would be disastrous. Our forwardline is already one of the weakest in the comp. But I'm more talking about from an interest point of view. The kids love him. My boys interest in watching the Dees would significantly drop if Koz left. He's that Cyril or Buddy type that makes kids and adults want to go or watch. Watching Dogga in a Freo jumper has the temp rising, but watching Koz in a Port jumper would make me vomit.

I think he's saying that we may have to take what we get.

Yeah thought that was his point but it wouldn't be straight up for pick 25 or something.

Even clubs with the whip hand act in good faith (generally). Kind of like the Dogga trade, Freo didn't have that much to offer us but we did ok out of it considering the circumstances.

I reckon if Kozzie wants to go to port that we should put all our eggs in trying to get a gun player back in return. We already have two firsts and two seconds in this upcoming draft, so I'd much prefer a quality player back, not just draft picks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back