Delisted #36: Lachlan Johnson - Not offered another contract - 13/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Best game for the year at half-back in the VFL.

Lachlan Johnson
Stats: 15 disposals, two marks, two tackles

“Lachie probably played his best game for the year. He played across half-back. I thought the way he covered the ground was the best we’ve seen from him. For the most part he made really good decisions by foot and was able to set us up, along with Marty (Gleeson) in our attack coming out of our defensive half. He’s tackling again was a real strength for him, so I thought it was a really well rounded game.”

I guess that's his position then???

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

And many wrote off my suggestion he’d be a small defender..

Heppell to HB?
Johnson as a small defender?
Hird to Debut by years end?? watch this space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And many wrote off my suggestion he’d be a small defender..

Heppell to HB?
Johnson as a small defender?
Hird to Debut by years end?? watch this space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And 1 decent game in a 2s scratch match means they're wrong?

If he's still on an AFL list in 2023, feel free to come back and tag us again.

I disagree with Johnson. He was only average today but he is a player who will be building his tank after an injury lay off. Not saying he will make it but I saw a few things today he can work with. Will be interested to see how he is going towards the end of the season.

Have to agree. Has not really been anything to hang his hat on. Just does not look like finding the footy.
Whatever optimism that existed on his progress at the start of the season looks to have dropped off. He hasn't really come on and put things together after coming back from his injury. I'm only quoting to note the evolution of Johnson's season from a poster with good player insight.

Whatever optimism that existed on his progress at the start of the season looks to have dropped off. He hasn't really come on and put things together after coming back from his injury. I'm only quoting to note the evolution of Johnson's season from a poster with good player insight.

What you say is true. From what I have seen he can tackle and pressure but seems to lack the footy smarts to find enough of the footy.

Not offered another contract. Sad but not unexpected, just didn't seem to come back from that ACL as well as we might have liked. Unlucky with list cuts and not a lot of VFL too.
Cahill and Johnson join Mosquito in being thanked by the club for their services.

Johnson was unable to earn an AFL debut in his two seasons after being selected with pick No.63 in the same draft as part of the Dons’ Next Generation Academy. The son of three-time Brisbane premiership player Chris was hampered by an ACL injury last season, managing to return this year and play 10 VFL games.

General manger, football Josh Mahoney thanked Cahill and Johnson for their contributions to the club.

“On behalf of everyone at Essendon, I’d like to thank both Ned and Lachie for their services during their two years at the club,” Mahoney said.

“They are both terrific young men and it’s always a difficult part of the year having to say goodbye and make these tough decisions.

“We wish them both all the best for the future.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can see why we went for him given he’s a low centre of gravity hard nut and a tackling machine but never really fired a shot to be honest. Looked more at home in a back pocket but it was over by the time they made that move.

Could see him becoming a successful state league player if he continues to stick to it and he wants to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back