Last edited:

naraku

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A.C. Milan
Interesting pick , I think was rated high before injuries.

I heard Sheeds tried to get his old man to the club around 2000. Hopefully Lachlan is half the player is dad was.

Word on him is that he really likes the hard stuff, loves to tackle and chase and from limited viewing his skills appear very clean.

He is short, but he’s got that stocky body shape that all successful short players have so I’m eager to see how he goes when he gets his knee right. Don’t see why we couldn’t use him in the backline too.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Could he be a small defender for us? Maybe the intention is to not be a small fwd (as we have a plethora, Fantasia or not)

We needed a small defender but not at the point of paying high for it. So maybe we have got one on the cheap. His old man was a good defender and from memory started as a small forward

Not usually a pessimist on draft day bit why not as a Cat B tomorrow?
He had been ‘preselected’ as a father son rookie, would have automatically gone to their list if no club took him last night.

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
put him on ice for most 2020 and give him some reserves games towards the end of the year - could be that gutsy, tough small defender like his old man and may just end up being a great pick-up at 63

He had been ‘preselected’ as a father son rookie, would have automatically gone to their list if no club took him last night.
And we could have done that too as a Cat B and it would have been up to him.

Ah well.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
And we could have done that too as a Cat B and it would have been up to him.

Ah well.
Why would he choose to nominate as a Cat B (where you cant play without someone having an LTI) rookie with us if he has been guaranteed a Cat A rookie spot with Brisbane?

Makes no sense from his perspective. He was happy to go anywhere reportedly, but by signing that nomination to Brisbane the LEAST he would slide is a Cat A rookie spot. Smart choice.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Think he’s more likely to be our answer to the inside midfield than Hibberd. Such density, strength in the contest, great aggression, handballs with intent. Question remains over that lateral movement with the knee and whether he can get his tank up.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Think he’s more likely to be our answer to the inside midfield than Hibberd. Such density, strength in the contest, great aggression, handballs with intent. Question remains over that lateral movement with the knee and whether he can get his tank up.
If there are question marks over him, how could he be more likely at all? Hibberd's only question mark, that I can surmise, is how high his ceiling is.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
If there are question marks over him, how could he be more likely at all? Hibberd's only question mark, that I can surmise, is how high his ceiling is.

I don’t think there is a question mark on Hibberds ceiling. He is the finished product now.

Jeez that international rules series was brutal wasn't it. His old man had a bad case of white line fever.
That look in his eye is seared across my memory.

So, debut v Hawthorne?

Given he averaged 15 touches in the NAB League I doubt it

ILikeCheese

Senior List
Apr 24, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Has he ever played FWD? Sounds like his defensive work and aggression are strengths, could provide some much needed FWD 50 pressure.

Back