Review #36: Matthew McDonough

Remove this Banner Ad

He played the first half of last season. Lennon just can't play at AFL level at the moment. We're a premiership contender and we can't afford to gift these kids games at this stage.
Really? Plenty of other teams in the Top 4 have been giving kids game time

Who gives a ****
Morris isn't a footballer and make us look like a joke by playing him.
McDonna has had more than enough good performances at vfl level and 10x the player of Morris.

Hey calm down tiger . Im happy for mcdonough to get picked. But i am also willing to back the match committees judgement as they have more of a clue then big footy (remember the sack dimma thread) if he comes and performs good on him he has been made to earn his spot after he had more then likely been told to work on a few things.
If he doesn't work out then so be it.

He played the first half of last season. Lennon just can't play at AFL level at the moment. We're a premiership contender and we can't afford to gift these kids games at this stage.
It's not gifting games when you have a couple of young players averaging 22 disposals and 1 goal a game over 10 games each in the VFL. Gifting a game happened with my boys Menadue and Drummond getting games when not made to earn them.

Im a bit over player X having great succsess at a lower level and people bang on about how he needs to be in the seniors in place of dud player Y, and when X finally gets his opportunity he is just average at best.
My thoughts exactly

Who gives a ****
Morris isn't a footballer and make us look like a joke by playing him.
McDonna has had more than enough good performances at vfl level and 10x the player of Morris.
nothing ive seen of him at AFL level would even sugguest he is better than Morris even...at least Morris gives his all...i dont go much on Morris at all but would prefer him of Mcdud any day of the week...He is s VFL bully an AFL nobody

So u would b happy to keep playing gordon and Morris then??
I don't give me the " I'll back the match
Committee"
No i reckon Gordon is worse than Mcdonut...id prefer Morris than Mcdonut...and id prefer we have Ellis Knights and Conca in the side over all the above mentioned player cause Morris Gordon And Mcdud are all substandard

nothing ive seen of him at AFL level would even sugguest he is better than Morris even...at least Morris gives his all...i dont go much on Morris at all but would prefer him of Mcdud any day of the week...He is s VFL bully an AFL nobody
So please explain how you would develop a young player if you aren't willing to give them a spot in the senior side?
From what you are saying under your method, even if they do get picked, if they don't perform instantly they should never be given another chance again

Wonder how long Rance would have lasted on our list if you were in charge during his early years.

So u would b happy to keep playing gordon and Morris then??
I don't give me the " I'll back the match
Committee"

Bottom 4 players should be role players IMO. Morris' role was inside 50 pressure acts. Gordon's is to run day on the wings and beat his man back into our forward 50.

Morris is the only player on our list for this role. They tried Lambert but he was no better. Id be interested to see how Dan butler goes (and where they play him) returning from injury. Short is not ready.

Gordon's position for mine seems to be highlighted. I think Lennon being moved onto a wing seems to earmark him for that future position. Especially if forward 50 entries are still a problem.

It will be interesting to see who replaces Edwards. Theoretically McDonough plays this role in the VFL. But there may be some concern with clearances and experience with 'big boy month' being in affect. But McD has certainly played well enough for an opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bottom 4 players should be role players IMO. Morris' role was inside 50 pressure acts. Gordon's is to run day on the wings and beat his man back into our forward 50.

Morris is the only player on our list for this role. They tried Lambert but he was no better. Id be interested to see how Dan butler goes (and where they play him) returning from injury. Short is not ready.

Gordon's position for mine seems to be highlighted. I think Lennon being moved onto a wing seems to earmark him for that future position. Especially if forward 50 entries are still a problem.

It will be interesting to see who replaces Edwards. Theoretically McDonough plays this role in the VFL. But there may be some concern with clearances and experience with 'big boy month' being in affect. But McD has certainly played well enough for an opportunity.
Problem is Morris is a terrible footballer, can't get away with a few pressure acts a game. Every other part of his game is so bad. I've been to every home game and frm what I've seen his negatives far out way the one positive him brings. Fact is he hasn't got a footballers brain

It's not gifting games when you have a couple of young players averaging 22 disposals and 1 goal a game over 10 games each in the VFL. Gifting a game happened with my boys Menadue and Drummond getting games when not made to earn them.
Giving someone a look shows them what they have to do and how far off they are . Lennon was afforded games last year under the same thinking .

Problem is Morris is a terrible footballer, can't get away with a few pressure acts a game. Every other part of his game is so bad. I've been to every home game and frm what I've seen his negatives far out way the one positive him brings. Fact is he hasn't got a footballers brain

I don't think he is terrible. But i certainly think this off season we should target a replacement

With everyone up and running Morris shouldn't even be in the 22. You want someone playing as that small forward who is not only going to put on pressure when the opposition has the ball, but also can be a scoreboard threat. For mine Edwards is the perfect player for this role. Smart enough to be where the ball will be when it hits the ground, clever with the ball to either score himself or set up a team mate and has enough speed to put defensive pressure on when we don't have the ball.

Giving someone a look shows them what they have to do and how far off they are . Lennon was afforded games last year under the same thinking .
Same thing still applies. McDonough and Lennon have IMO earned a call up and with Edwards going down there is an opportunity to reward either of them with a shot. But I can see Knights and/or Thomas being given the spot instead.

Same thing still applies. McDonough and Lennon have IMO earned a call up and with Edwards going down there is an opportunity to reward either of them with a shot. But I can see Knights and/or Thomas being given the spot instead.
As much as Thomas isnt wanted in the 1's, he has also earned the right to play too, with his numbers in the 2's. There was a good discussion on the radio regarding VFL form and how it correlates to AFL form. They were of the opinion that a lot of the time, it doesn't stack up. However since we have only this reference to use, we have to go by it.

As much as Thomas isnt wanted in the 1's, he has also earned the right to play too, with his numbers in the 2's. There was a good discussion on the radio regarding VFL form and how it correlates to AFL form. They were of the opinion that a lot of the time, it doesn't stack up. However since we have only this reference to use, we have to go by it.
Not going to deny Thomas deserves a shot again, question is if we bring him in for Edwards how does it change the rest of the line up. Thomas can handle the inside midfield stuff but doesn't have the line breaking ability of Edwards so everyone else would need to shift roles as well.

Not going to deny Thomas deserves a shot again, question is if we bring him in for Edwards how does it change the rest of the line up. Thomas can handle the inside midfield stuff but doesn't have the line breaking ability of Edwards so everyone else would need to shift roles as well.

True but he is irreplaceable anyway, no matter what we go with, so jobs will change anyway.

Not to mention our forward 50 entry efficiency will go further down with Thomas hacking it forward.

True but its not as if our fwd 50 entries have been any good anyway, even with him in the side.

So please explain how you would develop a young player if you aren't willing to give them a spot in the senior side?
From what you are saying under your method, even if they do get picked, if they don't perform instantly they should never be given another chance again

Wonder how long Rance would have lasted on our list if you were in charge during his early years.
id play players who i thought had potential...he dosnt in my opinion....and not play him ahead of players like Ellis Menadue lambert who have way more potenial because they can at least bring something at AFL level even if its small at the start...Mcdonut has brought totally nothing when he has played at Afl level and does not deserve anymore chances especially ahead of the above mentioned players who have all showed something at AFL level

Lennon and McDonough have seen enough at the top level to know what To expect . Furthermore they haven't improved week to week when given chances . Some players are guns at a standard and aren't able to step up to the better level .Tbh Lennon and McDonough have always appeared to be that type . They just don't think quick enough to have the same impact at AFL level . Lennon with a lot of work may be improved . Others play better as the standard improves and can't get a kick at that second lower level .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back