Review #36: Matthew McDonough

Remove this Banner Ad

He was okay. He deserves another go

Lennon however was very promising.

He was just ok.... Morris has shown us the same (8 touches, 3 tackles). McDonough needed to slot that goal. That should be his bread and butter. We don't need a Morris replacement, we need a Morris upgrade ( a significant upgrade).... McDonough isn't it yet.

I wouldn't drop him for this week. He needs to play games at this level to improve but he was the lowest possession-getter for us outside of the sub (who I would drop).

With Titch, TV, Griff to come back in along with C.Ellis, Conca (and maybe Knights) I wouldn't expect to see much of McDonough in the coming rounds (maybe after the next 2). Or Gordon, or Hampson, or Lambert or Newy.

He was just ok.... Morris has shown us the same (8 touches, 3 tackles). McDonough needed to slot that goal. That should be his bread and butter. We don't need a Morris replacement, we need a Morris upgrade ( a significant upgrade).... McDonough isn't it yet.

I wouldn't drop him for this week. He needs to play games at this level to improve but he was the lowest possession-getter for us outside of the sub (who I would drop).

With Titch, TV, Griff to come back in along with C.Ellis, Conca (and maybe Knights) I wouldn't expect to see much of McDonough in the coming rounds (maybe after the next 2). Or Gordon, or Hampson, or Lambert or Newy.

I love the look of Cellis but don't get the idea he is a walk up start compared to Madonna?? He averages 8 touches a game and in fact has some poor moments (first kick against WCE was a shocker) as well as good like his kick to Lids.

Matty needs a chance to work into AFL kind of like lambert. He had a great mark half running with the flight, a very good kick to Lid's advantage, which so few in our side do, and a great centre clearance that looked a bit like Edwards of all people. These are same little signs I look for in Lennon and Cellis. Yes we want them there more often but he needs a decent run of a couple of weeks at AFL level.

Lennon was great today and kicked 3 but next week I doubt he'll do that again, should we drop him straight away?

I love the look of Cellis but don't get the idea he is a walk up start compared to Madonna?? He averages 8 touches a game and in fact has some poor moments (first kick against WCE was a shocker) as well as good like his kick to Lids.

Matty needs a chance to work into AFL kind of like lambert. He had a great mark half running with the flight, a very good kick to Lid's advantage, which so few in our side do, and a great centre clearance that looked a bit like Edwards of all people. These are same little signs I look for in Lennon and Cellis. Yes we want them there more often but he needs a decent run of a couple of weeks at AFL level.

Lennon was great today and kicked 3 but next week I doubt he'll do that again, should we drop him straight away?

I think they are actually playing for different spots. McDonough was in the Morris (not his spot but you get my drift) role of tackling, harassing and crumbing (not something Morris really does). C.Ellis is more a high half-forward role. His foot-skills are elite but he needs to get used to the pressure and tempo of senior footy, his decision-making spot on. However I think if had to pick 6 in a forward line for the sake of naming them, our best side looks something like:

Titch, TV, JR
Lids, Griff, and one of C.Ellis/Lennon/Knights/McDonough/Conca/Lambert.

If they were the options (and they were match fit), I think McDonough currently sits 5th in that list of blokes in the 1 of....

I'm not calling for him to be dropped after today's game but he's not best 22 if everyone is available based on today and what the others have shown us.

Yeah play him again, will be better for the run finally.
How nervous would he have been tbh? A million great performances in the 2s without reward, finally gets a chance and wouldn't wanna stuff it up.
Edwards is a serious gun now. But in years past how many shitty 8-12 disposal games did he have where we called for his head? Quite a few.
Based on the VFL the kid has talent, give him a fair go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rather knights against freo and hawthorn in particular.
We can't fall into the trap of playing older players against the better sides. Our future lies in developing our youth and Matt is very much a part of that. I loved his spoil on Nick Reiwoldt and he was good in close and attackes the ball well. He could have been used more by team mates but that will come if he is given more games.

Yeah play him again, will be better for the run finally.
How nervous would he have been tbh? A million great performances in the 2s without reward, finally gets a chance and wouldn't wanna stuff it up.
Edwards is a serious gun now. But in years past how many shitty 8-12 disposal games did he have where we called for his head? Quite a few.
Based on the VFL the kid has talent, give him a fair go.
Totally agree - had only played one game this year before yesterday. Matt has talent and should be given the opportunity to show it over a block of games before even considering to drop him.

We can't fall into the trap of playing older players against the better sides. Our future lies in developing our youth and Matt is very much a part of that. I loved his spoil on Nick Reiwoldt and he was good in close and attackes the ball well. He could have been used more by team mates but that will come if he is given more games.

Disagree. Against Hawthorn / Freo we should be using these games as a tune up for finals. Knights is clearly a better option and has the potential to be an integral part of our tilt this year.

Lennon took his chance and stays in the side to have a go against the likes of Hawthorn and Freo

Last edited:

Not based on yesterday's game. However, I'd rather him playing forward than Morris or Gordon.... He's still young. I have said plenty about my doubts on McDonough making it and he didn't set the world on fire but I do think he's a better option than those I mentioned. Took a couple of marks where he was likely to get smashed. Saved a goal earlier when he got in the way of Nick Riewoldt (and got cleaned up for his trouble). I just want to see him hit the scoreboard. I'd keep playing him in the short term. However with Griff, Titch, TV, Conca, C.Ellis and Knights to come back, he may well struggle to hold his spot...

Not based on yesterday's game. However, I'd rather him playing forward than Morris or Gordon.... He's still young. I have said plenty about my doubts on McDonough making it and he didn't set the world on fire but I do think he's a better option than those I mentioned. Took a couple of marks where he was likely to get smashed. Saved a goal earlier when he got in the way of Nick Riewoldt (and got cleaned up for his trouble). I just want to see him hit the scoreboard. I'd keep playing him in the short term. However with Griff, Titch, TV, Conca, C.Ellis and Knights to come back, he may well struggle to hold his spot...

Agree needs to hit the scoreboard as that will stand him apart from Morris. Whats stands Morris apart from Mcdonough is his manic pressure. Same stats but because of the goals Morris creates through creating turnovers against the better sides will get the nod ahead of McDonough. Thought he looked way off the pace but willing to see him have another crack. Was subbed probably for being largely ineffectual for 3 qtrs.

Agree needs to hit the scoreboard as that will stand him apart from Morris. Whats stands Morris apart from Mcdonough is his manic pressure. Same stats but because of the goals Morris creates through creating turnovers against the better sides will get the nod ahead of McDonough. Thought he looked way off the pace but willing to see him have another crack. Was subbed probably for being largely ineffectual for 3 qtrs.

Oh he was the least effective of the 21 guys out there.... and the step up in pace would have been tough for him and Lennon (who was also stuffed), however, that sort of performance from him is considered poor or at least not good by many of us yet statistically it would probably be considered a good game for Morris in the same role.

McDonough hasn't made it yet and I'm not convinced he ever will but I want him in before Morris as a forward every single day of the week. Morris is a small back, nothing else. He is there to discourage key forwards and generally give them the shits.... At the moment he is the next defender in line...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back