Review #36: Matthew McDonough

Remove this Banner Ad

McDonough is the most overated player on this board..by a long way! So much talk..yet people dont realise how different VFL is from the seniors
I think people do realise. That's why they're saying he needs more than 1 game here and there to adjust to the speed of the game.

I think they are saying give him a few games to assess....up to now he has basically had half a game then dropped...can't get up to AFL speed.instantly ..takes a couple of games

No one is suggesting he is Jesus ( that's Ty)

We did have some saying we guaranteed a loss against Carlton by his non selection

Sorry to bring up an old thread guys, but how has MM been travelling in the VFL over the last year or 2? Is he making any inroads?

What would he be worth in a trade?

Sorry to bring up an old thread guys, but how has MM been travelling in the VFL over the last year or 2? Is he making any inroads?

In B4 people reply with Danger.

In all seriousness he kills it at VFL and struggles at AFL at the moment.

In all honesty has divided many in here. Most think he is ready and will be a very good player whilst others think he wont make it. He has done well in the VFL and tore a couple of games apart.

Trade value probably another player on your list from Vic not getting a fair go. Im sure the 2 clubs could think of a win win if McDonough wanted to head home.

Trade value...Probably a pretty token pick...4th or 5th round...Maybe swap some higher picks if we're not planning to go deep in the draft. (2nd or 3rd round, depending on how close we are)

He's a depth player with potential, but has failed to show it in several shots at AFL level so far. Good enough that we (probably) wont delist him, but not so good that we'd make a fuss about keeping him either.

His ours. Hands off.:p

Haters gonna hate. Mcdonuts gets off the donuts and gets more than 1 game in a row as a mid/forward rather than the backline and bing batter boom :fire::fire::fire:.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've turned him into an inside midfielder and he's regularly in the best at VFL level. When he played AFL against the Saints a few weeks back he looked lost and annoyed at himself. He's never been given a solid run at it, I think if he was given the right opportunity he could be a handy player.

Natural footballer, but looks slow to me (both in the mind and legs). Was probably competing for the same spot as lennon in the half forward line. Lennon didn't show as much at VFL level but has killed it since coming into the seniors, while Matt despite strong VFL level form looks to be one of those players destined to dominate the second level without doing much in the 1's - much like our Matty Thomas.

Hard to be definitive until he gets a good run of games though, something he may not ever get at the RFC...

In B4 people reply with Danger.

*sigh*.....;)

Natural footballer, but looks slow to me (both in the mind and legs). Was probably competing for the same spot as lennon in the half forward line. Lennon didn't show as much at VFL level but has killed it since coming into the seniors, while Matt despite strong VFL level form looks to be one of those players destined to dominate the second level without doing much in the 1's - much like our Matty Thomas.

Hard to be definitive until he gets a good run of games though, something he may not ever get at the RFC...

Yeah his kicking looked the goods to me, but I worried that he looked a little slow / was lacking on the athletic side of things. We already have one of these types ourselves in Mitch Grigg. We are looking for someone with this level of kicking ability but has speeeeeeeeeeed. Not an easy find...

But anyways, all who commented I appreciate it and a big thanks:thumbsu:

Donuts has potential to be a good AFL player IMHO. But that could be said of many young players on AFL lists. As many have said, including Dimma apparently, he needs a few weeks at AFL level to get comfortable and show what he can do. His problem is we have genuine AFL talent in the team that he has to beat out. A few years ago he would have those games in the 1's and we would know for certain if he has the ability. Opportunities will open up. But he has to knock the door down now to get his gig. In many ways its a good thing for us. We have too much decent talent for a good young player to just get picked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back