Delisted #36: Michael Hartley - Joins Hawthorne via the preseason draft - 29/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn's defence is putrid.

I thought it was very exposed when Stratton was out; Frawley can't handle the monsters like Like did, and Gibson isn't really a KPD so struggled when forced to step-in for that role.

Dogs have a solid defence but that's built more from their midfield dominance than anything else, they lost a few of their first choice defenders due to injury.

Hartley - in my mind at least - is a solid developing FB option who frees up Hurley to play a more offensive role.

Hawthorn's defence is putrid.

One of the most infuriating parts of their reign was that the sides that had the forwards to trouble the Hawks rarely rocked up to play them. Teams rarely had the Hawks under enough pressure to expose their defence.

If GWS is the benchmark, and I think they should be, the reality is that there are times that they will tear your midfield apart and move the ball too quickly for a zone so it will be up to your defenders to win one-on-one battles.

The Dogs could become a very different side if they can settle their spine and Boyd develops into a star. They'll have much more scoring power with Boyd, Crameri and potentially Cloke, to take the game on and we already know that they are savage around the ball (and will win it enough).

I don't think there is value in looking at what teams of the past did, and accepting the same weakness, when the competition will change. Teams often play in certain ways to overcome weaknesses they have.

Last edited:

Reckon he is the perfect type of guy for the leadership group to be honest.

Not the captain but someone who people look to for support, help, encouragement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very impressed with his game yesterday. The sound of his fist smacking against the ball and\or two-metre-Peter's hands brought a warm feeling to this ex-fullback's heart.

I doubt he has conceded a possession standing under a high ball. Teams are feeding forwards to the wolves kicking it high to Hartley's opponent. I still don't feel like he has been tested on the lead, though, it's weird, if when it looks like he has been beaten on the lead he always seems to get a fist in.

I doubt he has conceded a possession standing under a high ball. Teams are feeding forwards to the wolves kicking it high to Hartley's opponent. I still don't feel like he has been tested on the lead, though, it's weird, if when it looks like he has been beaten on the lead he always seems to get a fist in.
Didn't he get beat in the first qtr just outside the goal square by wright?
He certainly played well but I'm pretty sure he'll get beat from time to time one out on big fwds. My memory is hazy but I think he's struggled most with the real big blokes.
It's prob our weakness the 200cm 100kg fwds will kick the goals unless we zone when we play a target tall fwd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back