Delisted #36: Michael Hartley - Joins Hawthorne via the preseason draft - 29/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one who's perplexed he doesn't take kick outs in the seniors when he plays? He always hits the 40 metre corridor kick when he goes for it. He also can hit a 55 metre drop punt without many issues.

Am I the only one who's perplexed he doesn't take kick outs in the seniors when he plays? He always hits the 40 metre corridor kick when he goes for it. He also can hit a 55 metre drop punt without many issues.

Always been a head scratcher especially when you consider he is a poor contested mark.

Unfortunately we have a couple of handy key defenders in the seniors.

Heard of Cale Hooker? maybe Michael Hurley?
He said AFL not Essendon. And then you basically agree with him by saying to another poster

Would not be surprised at all if other clubs came knocking on the door and offered him senior opportunities.

I’m not sure whether it’s your comprehension or consistency that needs work.

He said AFL not Essendon. And then you basically agree with him by saying to another poster

I’m not sure whether it’s your comprehension or consistency that needs work.

Thought it's pretty obvious he won't get consistent senior opportunities with us.

Was agreeing with Kakkle that he could be an ok AFL player, just wont be with us.

I've now gotten around to watching the last few VFL matches, I was primarily interested in Hartley's performances.

If Hartley gets an opportunity at some point, which looks unlikely, I'm pretty sure that fans will see a new player.

The game against Box Hill was the first time he strung together four quarters of the sorts of improvement in his game that were previously on display for a quarter here and there. He's now done it five weeks in a row.

His possession rates tell the obvious story. Whereas he was previously averaging numbers in the low teens he's been averaging over 20 possessions a week for five weeks now, basically playing as a KPD in the way Hooker has been in the AFL. Admittedly, he chips a few kick-ins to himself and gets a few extra possessions that way but that is offset by less junk possession that defenders can rack up kicking the ball to each other under no pressure.

A large part of his possession increase is the improvement of his positioning and reading of the play. He's holding big pack marks and cutting a lot of balls off, whereas previously he was not necessarily influencing a contest unless his man lead him to the ball (including when he gets a late fist to a ball from the back of a pack). This has also dramatically improved his 1v1 defence (even if he has gotten caught out the back a few times).

He's also been kicking bullets all around the ground, both in play and from marks.

8 weeks ago he was probably depth whose opportunities were probably going to be limited to what was required by our list. He's a different player now. He's far too good to spend another few years playing VFL because we can't fit him into the AFL side. Not that I want to see the back of him, not at all, but he could be a valuable trade commodity come the end of the year.

Last edited:
If Hartley finishes the VFL year the way he's been playing in the last few weeks and no one even asks the question is would be an indictment on the industry.

I agree. We are lucky we have Hooker and Hurley but it is unlucky for Hartley as right now I think he could be getting an AFL game with a few clubs. His recent VFL form is good enough. He is not a player I really want to see go but I suspect he could get squeezed out. I only hope if he does it may be via a trade where we get possibly a fourth round pick or even maybe third round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. We are lucky we have Hooker and Hurley but it is unlucky for Hartley as right now I think he could be getting an AFL game with a few clubs. His recent VFL form is good enough. He is not a player I really want to see go but I suspect he could get squeezed out. I only hope if he does it may be via a trade where we get possibly a fourth round pick or even maybe third round.

Fourth round pick? I'd be thinking something in the 30s.

No way would I trade him for a fourth round pick. If someone wants to offer enough money to entice him away, they can pay up.

I doubt we get a pick in the 30s for an OOC player who we won't give a game.
Have to agree. I can't see his value being particularly high, even with VFL form.

I suppose it's possible that a club who see him as filling a crucial hole on their list could be prepared to give up something decent (think Hawthorn with Lake, for example), but I don't think it would be likely.

I wouldn't mind keeping him, but he seems a bit far back in the pecking order for it to make a lot of sense for him, if he's desperate for senior opportunities - and I don't see why he wouldn't be.

He's a KPD that can play from round 1 next year.

A fourth round pick is what we paid for Stewart who had no recent AFL exposure and who wasn't doing much in the NEAFL.

He's a KPD that can play from round 1 next year.

A fourth round pick is what we paid for Stewart who had no recent AFL exposure and who wasn't doing much in the NEAFL.
So not hugely different to Hartley then; he's only played four senior games this year and if I was a betting man, I wouldn't put money on him adding to his tally this year.

Fourth round pick? I'd be thinking something in the 30s.

No way would I trade him for a fourth round pick. If someone wants to offer enough money to entice him away, they can pay up.

Possibly the strongest draft in the last 15 years. Doubt we would get a pick under 40 for him.

I thought he had a chance to be named last week if we moved Hooker forward. I still wouldn't be against that, considering I felt like we were breaking down going forward.

Unfortunately for Harts there is an air of a Sam Collins-esque situation where he could get squeezed out despite good form.

Collins was dominating the WAFL but couldnt get a game as Freo had a lot of KPDs (still would have kept him over Johnson) and not enough spots and ultimately come seasons end not enough list spots.

Clubs sniffed around but waited for him to be delisted and for them to organise their own lists before possibly giving him a shot. Unfortunatelybfor Collins clubs couldnt fit him in and he is playing for Werribee.

Harts is in a similar situation and we have a few KPPs coming OOC come end of season in him, Brown, McKernan and even Laverde to am extent. With Hooker, Hurls, ambrose and BZT on the list they may look to extend everyone else first before renewing Harts if we have enough spots.

If other clubs are interested i imagine they wont trade for him. Picks this year are too valuable. I imagine they will do a Collins and wait to see if he gets delisted then bring him in as a DFA before they finalise drft pick amounts.

There is little risk for opposition clubs because if we dont delist him then Collins and another raft of state league KPDs are available for rookie spots later.

Harts deserves a shot at AFL level but so did Collins. A fascinating situation to say the least.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back