Past #36: Phoenix Spicer - drafted w/ #42 in 2020 ND - delisted end '23 - 12 NM games / 2 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

It is so good to see Phoenix putting on some muscle definition. I was always intrigued how our young players all seemed to have skinny arms when compared to young players from other teams. Its great to see the improvement.

My general take on Phoenix from the year, is that he looks like a really shy kid. And for him coming to a new environment away from his home, was always going to be difficult, and to me he showed that shyness in his debut game. Personally I think he wasn't ready for a debut game.

However, being at the club now for a year, will only make him feel so much more comfortable and confident. And I think I have read on this forum that he is friends with JHF. It should not be underestimated how much impact getting JHF to the club will have on Phoenix. He may still be shy but his confidence will grow and hopefully we will witness that in his game.

It is so good to see Phoenix putting on some muscle definition. I was always intrigued how our young players all seemed to have skinny arms when compared to young players from other teams. Its great to see the improvement.

My general take on Phoenix from the year, is that he looks like a really shy kid. And for him coming to a new environment away from his home, was always going to be difficult, and to me he showed that shyness in his debut game. Personally I think he wasn't ready for a debut game.

However, being at the club now for a year, will only make him feel so much more comfortable and confident. And I think I have read on this forum that he is friends with JHF. It should not be underestimated how much impact getting JHF to the club will have on Phoenix. He may still be shy but his confidence will grow and hopefully we will witness that in his game.
A good mate of mine played with him at Morphy Kangaroos before South Adelaide grabbed him. Apparently he is an absolute legend of a guy.
Used to flick a switch & completely turn a game on its head apparently.

I agree that JHF coming in will be a big positive for Phoenix too.

Our SC team has been subpar, hence the sackings at the end of the year. Noble and White have set out to rectify that.

Hopefully, Phoenix can step up. He’s the only guy in our squad who has the potential to fulfil the small, fast, pressure-forward role. That might change after tonight. However, I haven’t heard anybody feasible being mooted up until now. Spicer is unproven but an exciting prospect, nonetheless.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm surprised by his physical change in a year. Good signs.
sheesh he was a bottom ager weighing 60kg dripping wet with a pocket full of change when recruited. he was always going to take a bit of time to come on, but agreed its been good for him to be on a program to bulk up and gain some strength.

sheesh he was a bottom ager weighing 60kg dripping wet with a pocket full of change when recruited. he was always going to take a bit of time to come on, but agreed its been good for him to be on a program to bulk up and gain some strength.
I remember seeing a young Choppy at a Family Day in his first or second season and thinking that he'd get snapped in half if they put him on a field with mature bodied AFL players.

Nek minnit

Forgive me if I'm misremembering, but I feel like I remember a story from a few years ago that mentioned that under the regime at that time, the development of 1-3rd year players (or something in that range) was restricted when it came to the gym.

It was the belief of the trainers that it was dangerous to pack muscle onto developing frames as it may lead to more injuries.

Port had a similar system in place, but more strict in that 1st-2nd year players were barely allowed to touch weights and had to focus on cardio and conditioning.

Once remember Dani Laidley saying that they could spend 4 hours in the gym and not put on a ounce of muscle. All Majak had to do was look at them.

Every " body " different.

( sadly Hoj in the Dani camp )

Very well constructed first sentence, Hoj.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgive me if I'm misremembering, but I feel like I remember a story from a few years ago that mentioned that under the regime at that time, the development of 1-3rd year players (or something in that range) was restricted when it came to the gym.

It was the belief of the trainers that it was dangerous to pack muscle onto developing frames as it may lead to more injuries.

Port had a similar system in place, but more strict in that 1st-2nd year players were barely allowed to touch weights and had to focus on cardio and conditioning.
No forgiveness needed DP. I have no idea what the policy for the 1-3rd year players was. Maybe there were restrictions regarding gym workouts but I am sure they still had gym sessions. My intrigue was more the fact that our players always looked like they had skinny arms with no real definition, compared to other young players from the opposition. This year, it definitely does not look like this is the case.

No forgiveness needed DP. I have no idea what the policy for the 1-3rd year players was. Maybe there were restrictions regarding gym workouts but I am sure they still had gym sessions. My intrigue was more the fact that our players always looked like they had skinny arms with no real definition, compared to other young players from the opposition. This year, it definitely does not look like this is the case.
Yup, my wonder is if that's due to the cleanout of the fitness staff and appointing new heads.

my lad is in a U18 SANFL squad and they have the players on gym programs!

my lad is in a U18 SANFL squad and they have the players on gym programs!
Wow big congrats to him! Hope we can see him in the draft hey!

Yeah every NAB league club has gym programs now.

Once remember Dani Laidley saying that they could spend 4 hours in the gym and not put on a ounce of muscle. All Majak had to do was look at them.

Every " body " different.

( sadly Hoj in the Dani camp )

Yep, people like Dani and Spicer have to eat so much as well as lift to put on size, which is what I'm most impressed about tbh - I'm curious to know what Spicer's diet consists of as I imagine it would be a clean diet too (not dirty bulking). With how the boys have looked this off season, they look to be in very, very good hands.

My intrigue was more the fact that our players always looked like they had skinny arms with no real definition
IMO lots of them look like their efforts in building size is in their upper legs. Recency bias but I always thought WAP, LDU, S Walsh as some recent examples appear slight on the upper half but no expense spared on weights for their squat rack. Not sure what others think?

A good mate of mine played with him at Morphy Kangaroos before South Adelaide grabbed him. Apparently he is an absolute legend of a guy.
Used to flick a switch & completely turn a game on its head apparently.

I agree that JHF coming in will be a big positive for Phoenix too.
eerrr, Morphy. That's such a s**t oval, having to get the ball out of the back yard of the house behind the goals!

Really? Thats insane,,,,my kid is in a high performance program at age 15 which includes 3 sport specific weights sessions a week (and that's for a non contact sport!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back