Past #36: Phoenix Spicer - drafted w/ #42 in 2020 ND - delisted end '23 - 12 NM games / 2 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Freeborn was delisted before he even played a game. The end of his career was on Collingwood's hands also, not ours.

Spicer's had games. We've seen it. It ain't it. I don't think that's even an apt comparison.
Wasnt really a comparison, just an example of a bloke that was written of but after getting a chance proved a successful player. Fwiw i reckon spicer is gone but can understand still having a look at him. Being only contracted till seasons end its not like we have anything to lose.

I’ve seen what he can do “nothing”he’s useless I don’t know what games you guys have been watching as I’ve seen nothing that’s says to me he’s any good. Lets keep him He would make a good water boy with his speed the players will never go thirsty
I'm not advocating for him in any way, BUT I watched him play a quarter of the VFL game up here in Brisbane the one where Chom made his comeback and kicked 4 in a half. He looked incredible on a wing, run and carry, taking bounces and delivering inside 50, really carved them up. Now I don't know if that can translate to AFL level, and might need time to get physically stronger (time that he may not have), but sure looked promising. And from what I have seen that's his game. Really haven't seen the natural crumbing goal smarts (although he did kick a few in the VFL before this AFL stint) and so his role appears to be use his pace to heckle and pressure the opposition. I think he has more to his game but just don't know if the patience is there to see if they can come out at AFL level (certainly isn't on this board hehe).

We need to see what players like Spicer can do.

He is being judged unfairly as he is lucky to have played 10 games at AFL level.

I see things that he does that a lot of young players do but i also see that there is potential.

People are expecting him to do things that he isn't physically or mentally ready for.
Honestly I don't mean to be rude, but we're at a stage where we need good players that can compete, are you honestly trying to be a dickhead?

We'll see. I've no idea if he will make it or not
But i remember similar comments being made back in the day about Todd Goldstein not making it at AFL level, same with Ben Cunnington and probably numerous others who have all succeeded at the top level

sometimes they just need to play a few games to figure it all out

The problem with Spice is that he hasn’t shown a glimpse of anything that suggests he’s going to calve up at afl level.

Not a hint of goal kicking, not a hint of a crumb at full speed that leads to a team lifting goal, not a hint of a hanger on someone’s back for us to go ‘wow!’ Not an electric run-down from behind that leads to a holding the ball.. etc, etc..

You know we’re struggling when posters give him a pass mark for kicking a nice dinky 15 metre kick who hits a team mate..

2 possessions and 0 tackles from an ‘electric’ small forward in three quarters is putrid.

The problem with Spice is that he hasn’t shown a glimpse of anything that suggests he’s going to calve up at afl level.

Not a hint of goal kicking, not a hint of a crumb at full speed that leads to a team lifting goal, not a hint of a hanger on someone’s back for us to go ‘wow!’ Not an electric run-down from behind that leads to a holding the ball.. etc, etc..

You know we’re struggling when posters give him a pass mark for kicking a nice dinky 15 metre kick who hits a team mate..

2 possessions and 0 tackles from an ‘electric’ small forward in three quarters is putrid.
He's a small forward but he doesn't crumb or kick goals, his tackling is shite and he doesn't exactly rack up the numbers so where do you put him? What does he actually do?

Freeborn was delisted before he even played a game. The end of his career was on Collingwood's hands also, not ours.

Spicer's had games. We've seen it. It ain't it. I don't think that's even an apt comparison.
Delisted without playing a game??? WTF - he played in the 1996 Grand Final and kicked two or three goals in the second quarter and got us back into the game. Without him we wouldn't have won that flag. And I honestly don't remember him before that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Delisted without playing a game??? WTF - he played in the 1996 Grand Final and kicked two or three goals in the second quarter and got us back into the game. Without him we wouldn't have won that flag. And I honestly don't remember him before that.
He was delisted by godees before we picked him up

He was delisted by godees before we picked him up
Ahh. I see your point.

Still - three goals in a GF Billy. Turned the game.

Peter Bell - 2 games at his original club, unfashionable shortarse, still went on to win two flags.

Gerard Neesham, the guy who didn't like Andrew McLeod and turned him down because he wore an earring and the guy who traded away the pick to get Todd Ridley that could've landed them Matthew Lloyd, and childishly abused Stewart Loewe on national television because he turned down their offer. Smart man Neesham.

I really hope he is dropped for TT this week. I'm with you, I think Phoenix will be great for the Darwin Buffaloes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back