Past #36: Phoenix Spicer - drafted w/ #42 in 2020 ND - delisted end '23 - 12 NM games / 2 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Like my dad pointed out, his body moves too quick before he can mentally process what's going on.
So many times tonight you just saw this guys body moving and his head was playing catchup - he often got caught out or made an error.

With that in mind, he is an absolute electric freak.

Club needs to invest more time educating him. He comes across as a bit of a slower learner when you see the comparison to some of the other draftees of his year have made. But my god, how amazing it was to see that electric energy.

I thought he would mainly be around the forward line. But he was circulating the wing, the centre and even the back pockets.

Just nice to see a player actually deploy some genuine acceleration and read the ball for once even if it didn't come off.

Hopefully we trial more guys with proper speed and crumbing power in the drafts.

I've whinged enough about how every other club seemed to have at least 3-4 lively little nuisances on their list each season, while we'd go in with none bar any leftover from the Laidley era.

Just nice to see a player actually deploy some genuine acceleration and read the ball for once even if it didn't come off.

Hopefully we trial more guys with proper speed and crumbing power in the drafts.

I've whinged enough about how every other club seemed to have at least 3-4 lively little nuisances on their list each season, while we'd go in with none bar any leftover from the Laidley era.
Yep. Stands out like dogs balls.

Dogs, Richmond, and Port started it and others have followed. We seem to be the last team to get onto it.

I don't think the club are sold on him. Nobes said small forward is a need. Defensive pressure doesn't seem a natural part of his game. Still there is some potential there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think the club are sold on him. Nobes said small forward is a need. Defensive pressure doesn't seem a natural part of his game. Still there is some potential there.
If we dont go for another small forward then we'll end up in the larkey situation where there's 0 cover in the required position.

Yeah no doubt there.

He's an extremely raw prospect who has made great strides from the start of the year but he's got a long way to go in order to become a cemented best 22 footballer.

A lot of things you can improve like fitness and strength.
This kid has serious speed which is a standout and something that you can’t improve dramatically. Need to utilise this and work on areas he can improve.
Like to see us let him in a pagans paddock to use his speed

Most draft watchers said he was a HF/Wing rather than a small forward. He transitions inside. Saw that yesterday.

Haven't seen a player that raw and off the pace off the game since Byron Pickett in his first game in 97

Worked out pretty well the next year.

l like what l saw...There is so much room for improvement and the ceiling is high in terms of potential..As someone stated earlier let Boomer teach him and he will flourish....

RF08's Season Review

Games Played: 1
Avg Disposals: 7
Goals: 0
Stat Highlights: nil

Best Game
Round 23 Vs Adelaide - 7 disposals, 1 marks, 2 inside 50's

Summary

Pheonix Spicer arguably has one of the best names in the AFL. There was genuine excitement from the club and supporters when he was taken with pick #42 in the 2020 national draft. Since the retirement of Lindsay Thomas the club has been desperate for a speedy goal kicking small forward who can apply elite defensive pressure. Spicey had an impressive first pre-season often involved in game type drills and during match sim. Despte only coming to the club at around 62kg, track watchers were impressed with his ability to get involved despite his frame. Pheonix started the year in the VFL, and while he wasn't racking up the touches he was managing to show small snippets of his potential. It was however, obvious that he needed a lot of work on his tank and body before he was ready for AFL. His VFL season stalled for 6 to 8 weeks due to a minor hamstring strain. The club too the opportunity to get a big block of gym work into him. When he returned the VFL season was impacted due to covid restrictions, but he performed well enough in the scratch matches that he was able to earn a debut in the last game of the year. While he didn't set the world on fire, you could see the raw potential in his game, particularly with his speed. Spicer will need to add some bulk to his frame and increase his running capacity before he becomes a regular best 22 player. While he is still very raw, there is a huge scope for upside if he can mature his body a bit!

Waiting for the in 'in the gym posts' from spicer.
Gotta hit the ground running and put on some decent size in the off season.
Would love a twice a day F45 performance from Pheonix but I'll settle for 3 times a week in the gym.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back