Past #36: Phoenix Spicer - drafted w/ #42 in 2020 ND - delisted end '23 - 12 NM games / 2 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Durability always a concern for these types, but Eddie betts turned out alright

Hey, I am not knocking the selection. Roll the dice and see what comes up.

Very interesting listen - it was like the SA host was saying to the SA recruiter ....wtf - why didn't we pick up Spicer....your saying he is a gun....
All I know is I watched all of his South Adelaide games this season and Phoenix caught my eye from the first time I saw him play with his express pace and unbelievable agility.....and the way he was prepared to take the game on with his run and carry and the way he could put a gap on his chasers, not to mention his closing speed and defensive pressure/tackling. Kicking can be a bit untidy at times but I'd think that can be tidied up in an elite system. Certainly looks to have a heap of upside.

All I know is I watched all of his South Adelaide games this season and Phoenix caught my eye from the first time I saw him play with his express pace and unbelievable agility.....and the way he was prepared to take the game on with his run and carry and the way he could put a gap on his chasers, not to mention his closing speed and defensive pressure. Kicking can be a bit untidy at times but I'd think that can be tidied up in an elite system. Certainly looks to have a heap of upside.

If he & Stephenson can get over the back of defences, then they're going to cause a lot of headaches.

All I know is I watched all of his South Adelaide games this season and Phoenix caught my eye from the first time I saw him play with his express pace and unbelievable agility.....and the way he was prepared to take the game on with his run and carry and the way he could put a gap on his chasers, not to mention his closing speed and defensive pressure/tackling. Kicking can be a bit untidy at times but I'd think that can be tidied up in an elite system. Certainly looks to have a heap of upside.

Seems a pretty sensible kid too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did he win his own ball much?

Reminds me of a fella I played footy with up in Cairns yonks ago - Robbie Barramundi - only slight but as quick as a seagull to a chip and as smooth as you'd like. As tough as an old boots and never took an overhead mark as he had a standing spring of about 4ft, funny as f#ck.

Robbie Barramundi

Worth a look?

Sure did, lacks nothing on the score of hardness/courage and attack on the ball/player.
There is a bit of video where he almost breaks a Tarryn Thomas tackle in training. Thomas is no slouch on the tackle front, having played against adults since he was 15. He doesn't quite get out but its close. It seems his ability to use agility to move his CoG and avoid being fully tackled is incredible.

Its not that he breaks the tackle but reads where it'll be and shifts his weight to avoid it. He has some tools in his playing kit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back