Past #36: Phoenix Spicer - drafted w/ #42 in 2020 ND - delisted end '23 - 12 NM games / 2 NM goals

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
How sad is it when we have an abundance of forwards with zero genuine crumber with wheels..

I would give my leftie for Kosi P or flyin Ryan right now.

Looks like Wet Toast have found another one with their pick 57 from last year Isiah Winder - kicked 5 in the WAFL this week... unbelievable..

And I think we passed with our pick before they took him.
I thought he was perfect for us but as a rebounding half back

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How sad is it when we have an abundance of forwards with zero genuine crumber with wheels..

Looks like Wet Toast have found another one with their pick 57 from last year Isiah Winder - kicked 5 in the WAFL this week... unbelievable..
Winder had a really promising draft profile. Wondered why he slipped so far.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have no idea about Spicer but in recent years our inability to identify and draft small forwards defies all belief.
To think we snared Campbell and Thomas in one draft and then have barely picked one since.
Richmond and West Coast have more than they can use.
Something smells rotten.
What don’t you mean that the recruiting strategy of a heap of 188cm HFF, who are solid citizens, didn’t work..
The list was absolutely cooked..

desie

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2004
Gumnut Cottage
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Arsenal, GWS Giants
I think you'll find they left in the couple of kicks he hit, and left out the ones that went sideways
Not sure it really matters if you just plonk him in the forward 50 and have him buzz around.

It’s not as though our current small forward doesn’t miss with monotonous regularity....

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Sherm, I could be wrong, but thought he was part of the Dockers academy?

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Sherm, I could be wrong, but thought he was part of the Dockers academy?
FA61AC79-8606-4641-9472-B66A48D7C307.png

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Kid will snap in half if he plays. VFL 2021 > Corey McKernan circa '93 diet > skills > skills > skills.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne

HELLSBELLS

Club Legend
Jun 18, 2007
VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
He wont break and die if he gets a game he's played against men before and kids his size have played against bigger bodies all their lives.

Do something different instead of playing small forwards who don't chase, tackle, kick goals or get anywhere near it.

We are so bloody scared to just take a chance its ridiculous just incase it doesn't work.

If he comes in and doesn't do any good and looks a million miles off you have lost NOTHING. You know he needs work and then he knows where he has to get to.

But what if he comes in and kills it from the get go ? There is no rulebook or maths equation that says he cant.

Play the Kid and let him run wild up forward !!

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He wont break and die if he gets a game he's played against men before.

Do something different instead of playing small forwards who don't chase, tackle, kick goals or get anywhere near it.

We are so bloody scared to just take a chance its ridiculous just incase it doesn't work.

If he comes in and doesn't do any good and looks a million miles off you have lost NOTHING. You know he needs work and then he knows where he has to get to.

But what if he comes in and kills it from the get go ? There is no rulebook or maths equation that says he cant.

Play the Kid and let him run wild up forward !!
Okay, love your wild running optimism, but here's the facts:

Against Melbourne a fortnight ago, Phoenix played forward, and touched it once

Against Bulldogs a week ago, he played on a wing, and got some of it, but I'd say single figure possessions; each of the dashy forward runs we saw on the video ended in a turnover, in other words, no impact on the game

If he gets a game this week on those performances, like you, I hope he brains it, but if I'm picking the team, players need to earn the spot

HELLSBELLS

Club Legend
Jun 18, 2007
VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Okay, love your wild running optimism, but here's the facts:

Against Melbourne a fortnight ago, Phoenix played forward, and touched it once

Against Bulldogs a week ago, he played on a wing, and got some of it, but I'd say single figure possessions; each of the dashy

I would settle for a tackle inside 50. Turner is yet to lay one. Doesn't even average one for his whole career. Small forward my arse. Mahoney 1 tackle inside 50.

How many times he gets it isn't as much the problem as how easily they let it come out. With his speed he can make it difficult and god forbid tackle someone.

Back