Delisted 36.Stewart Crameri (2018 - 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

He's nothing like dew. Dew was a fat pig who had a little bit of pace and a beautiful left cannon. As we all found out the hard way, dew was the type of player who could change a game in a quarter. Crameri is nothing like that. More like a Mitchell White.
Hence “heavily suppressed optimist”. I am aware this signing is likely to get us nowhere.

You don't draft a 29 year old unless you think he can make an immediate impact. I do see him as depth at the minute but by round 1 he could end up as more than that If he remains healthy. Is his best past him?

I don't know if his best is past him but his best is as common as Halley's Comet.

He's a battler but he's quick and bulky.

If he trains well and catches the eye of coaches, he'll be right for R1.

I don't know if his best is past him but his best is as common as Halley's Comet.

He's a battler but he's quick and bulky.

If he trains well and catches the eye of coaches, he'll be right for R1.
I think you're underselling him a bit. He's a little better than a battler. He's had some really good games in the past.

Whether he can recapture that form is another story.

Crameri when going well is a dangerous forward we rob ourselves forcing Dangerfield to play second tall, because the real talls aren't up to it.
That's why he was recruited, we were to thin on taller talent.

Fancy anyone preferring an early pick over Gary.
Look at the results from our recent pick 16's
for example, not worthy of carrying his bag.
Ablett is still one of AFL's best players.

Height 190 cm (6 ft 3 in)
Weight 96 kg (212 lb)

Was a while ago but whatever

Kent Kingsley mark 2. Although at least Crameri can kick straight. No footage of a pack mark. Or of him splitting a pack. Mostly crumbling seagull goals. And if cocky and Parfitt and McCartney etc are fit, no need for a 29 year old over sized goal sneak.

Kent Kingsley mark 2. Although at least Crameri can kick straight. No footage of a pack mark. Or of him splitting a pack. Mostly crumbling seagull goals. And if cocky and Parfitt and McCartney etc are fit, no need for a 29 year old over sized goal sneak.

His recruitment is sound given that he cost us very little. Whether he plays depends on his fitness and form against the three you name plus Menzel - none of whom have so far been able to put together a full AFL season.

If Kent Kingsley was the right age he'd make a good foil to Hawkins I was like many others very critical of him at the time but he was nowhere near as bad as made out and would be better in the current team.

If Kent Kingsley was the right age he'd make a good foil to Hawkins I was like many others very critical of him at the time but he was nowhere near as bad as made out and would be better in the current team.

My issue with Kingsley was the same as my issue with Kersten. Blokes of 6ft3 who refuse to split a pack or even fly for overhead marks.

It staggers me the hate that done on this board have for Rhys Stanley. Yet at least Stanley is prepared to crash packs and fly for the ball. And he often takes really good overhead contested marks.
Aaron black is another - and now we have Crameri. I'm puzzled - what role will Crameri fill that black couldn't? They're both oversized seagulls.

Kingsley's biggest issue was the he would lead up demand the ball then do nothing with it - he single handedly ruined all our entires forward.
Kent goes we win three flag. #nomoreproofneeded

So what if we hadn't used 19 on Ablett but on a youngster instead, like many here wanted?

People here claim that we will only get two years at best out of Ablett (I am tipping he can go three), but what if we used 19 on a youngster, with all the raps in the world (best junior in his local league, can do this, can do that) and he turns out to not be up to AFL level, and after two years of ordinary performances, we delist him, and no-one else picks him up (meaning that he hasn't lived up to his rep)?

If you sacrifice a player like an Ablett (and remember, this isn't just any player, it is Gary BLOODY Ablett, we are talking about) to get a kid, the kid had BETTER be one of the top three or four in the league down the track, and we need to get ten to twelve good years out of the kid.

It's not like Ablett, fully fit, has lost a step either. We are not getting a shadow of a great. He can still go. I would back a two-time Brownlow winner, multi-MVP, B& F and two-time premiership player over some unproven talent, who may or may not be good. I mean a kid's former junior coach or his parents aren't the most objective judges to go to when asking about a young player ( and I think, many times, players are picked on what everyone says about them, rather than any proven form.)

Crameri, we gave up no-one for, and he is taking a rookie spot. You could make an argument if he cost us a pick, but he costs us little, and might give some value. Worst case scenario, we delist him at the end of the year. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. He might give us nothing, or do a Stewart Dew in the GF.

I think Crameri has more upside than an Aaron Black, and I don't know why we kept Black if he isn't getting games. Maybe his spot on the list should concern you more than Crameri's, who has shown more.
Some good points. I think Boekhurst at Carlton was around the 19 mark and de-listed after a few seasons. And we've had our share of busts around that mark - Brown, Lang and Smedts.

Mick Turner is a classic case of talking up kids, often to their detriment and future Falcons players around that mark..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My issue with Kingsley was the same as my issue with Kersten. Blokes of 6ft3 who refuse to split a pack or even fly for overhead marks.

It staggers me the hate that done on this board have for Rhys Stanley. Yet at least Stanley is prepared to crash packs and fly for the ball. And he often takes really good overhead contested marks.
Aaron black is another - and now we have Crameri. I'm puzzled - what role will Crameri fill that black couldn't? They're both oversized seagulls.
I think with Stanley he has glimpses of being a star combined with other times he looks lost and confused players who are maligned usually have talent and expectation but don't deliver. There's been times in games when Stanley has looked like Paddy Ryder like that games vs port a couple of seasons ago. A lot of it must be mental cause you'd think if he focused on the basic things he'd get a lot out of each game. Bomber Thompson likes to talk about the fact players only have the ball for a couple of mins per game it's what they do when they don't have the ball. Stanley lacks in this or lacks executing it the game awareness, anticipation etc there's enough of a tease that he stays on the list and like all Cats players I hope he can work it out.
The forward line is a major area we lack in and they've tried to address it with mature rookie or very late picks they've both shown they can play at the level in the past we'll have to see if they still can. I think they need to be given really clear ideas about what's expected of them and what role the coaches want them to play. And playing that role at VFL level if need be and ready to step up into the same role at afl level.
We had an opportunity to trade for a better player to play the role but weren't willing to pay the price needed with the players we picked up its hard to argue with that decision now.
I haven't seen as much of an issue with marking contests in our forward line more that if the ball spills there is no one to crumb hopefully we have a few more options this season to change that.

Considering there were very few alternatives, his return of over 200+ goals in a young, developing side deserves more credit than it receives.

Yes he was limited, but in a team lacking goal scoring options, he was vital.

Formerly played 57 games for Essendon and kicked 96 goals between 2010-2013 then went on to play 42 games for the Western Bulldogs between 2014-2017 for a return of 70 goals. Stewart Crameri is a 4 time club leading goal kicker (2011-2014) with the last one being for the Dogs.

Joining Geelong after being selected in the Rookie Draft currently stranded on 99 games looking to start fresh.

Height: 190cm
Weight: 96kg
DOB: 10/8/1988

These videos give a glimpse of what he is capable of at AFL level.

It’s actually an average of 15.8 disposals. It’s also from a selective sample of eight games, of which the Dogs won five with an average winning margin of 68. In the games before that he barely averaged one goal per game.

Yes well I did pick out those 8 games and my comment was if he can get near this form. Geeong will win 18 games next year so he will be in a dominant side.
I think if he gets his body right he gives us an alternative mix up if Hawkins Buzza isn’t working

How much influence has Dangerfield had on this years draft selections?
Huge, otherwise we would of had only defenders, or players with defence prospects selected again.

Anyone else get the feeling we were not Crameri's first choice... but were his only choice..

“It came down to Geelong and it was Geelong or nothing.."

Would have been a bit more tactful if he said it slightly differently.. perhaps more emphasis on the ..

“It is exciting (to hopefully play with him) ... and (Patrick) Dangerfield, (Joel) Selwood and newly-recruited Gary Ablett. It’s an exciting team to be a part of and I’m grateful to be here.” ..etc

I only had one real issue with Kinglsey.. he was an average to poor kick. I always remember he had an odd game where he kicked 6 or 7 goals..so he had talent , if only he had been a kick as good as McKenna etc he would have been very good forward. In the end how ever he seem to waste so much of the inside 50 ball... it would have been quite disheartening for the mids id have thought.

Anyone else get the feeling we were not Crameri's first choice... but were his only choice..

Would have been a bit more tactful if he said it slightly differently.. perhaps more emphasis on the ..

“It is exciting (to hopefully play with him) ... and (Patrick) Dangerfield, (Joel) Selwood and newly-recruited Gary Ablett. It’s an exciting team to be a part of and I’m grateful to be here.” ..etc

A bit unfair I reckon Turbo. I think he was prepared to play for any team if it meant he extended his AFL career. He did say he was excited to "get back out there" and "fit into this great team". I think he is just relieved to be given another shot at his age. Fair enough too. Just hope that his body gives him an opportunity to give him that shot.

I only had one real issue with Kinglsey.. he was an average to poor kick. I always remember he had an odd game where he kicked 6 or 7 goals..so he had talent , if only he had been a kick as good as McKenna etc he would have been very good forward. In the end how ever he seem to waste so much of the inside 50 ball... it would have been quite disheartening for the mids id have thought.
Crawly peter Johnson was his goal kicking coach. That said, I'll buy you a slab if you can und footage of him taking a contested pack mark above his head.

Dude. He just knows he's insurance and will
Most likely play vfl. He's not
Gonna play ahead of Menzel, Hawkins, cockatoo, Parfitt, McCartney, buzza/Stanley.

He's spewing cos he's making rookie coin and he's gonna play at north Port oval.

Crawly peter Johnson was his goal kicking coach. That said, I'll buy you a slab if you can und footage of him taking a contested pack mark above his head.

Thats a LOL and id like to have seen that ... Its why I said McKenna..he was pretty much an on the lead type player as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back