Delisted 36. Tom Ruggles (2016-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

That's Hayball far left, not Ruggles.
LOL didn't you see my note at the bottom? 'Editing now!'

George, I haven't slept for nearly a week + I'm so excited about our new Kittens that I'm fluffing everything today! :oops:

Thanks again!

Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention but I thought Ruggles played mainly as a mid last season. Bates first and then Cowan had the attacking half back role ( often free and expected to cover / run the ball).

Ruggles was often at centre bounces too. Did a good job of that . Lacked any outstanding attribute or deficiency IMO , except for the one I rate most highly - can find the pill.

I Agree that it is good to see a VFL lister get a chance. You know he will work hard.

Sure he's not a Clifton Springs boy?.... He's got more hustle than Bews,.... good ball carrier!

Yep, he's a Springs boy. Played for the same club I did when I played junior footy - Drysdale. Probably their first AFL-listed player for a long time, maybe the first one.

Good luck to him, proof that persistence often pays off.

Yep, he's a Springs boy. Played for the same club I did when I played junior footy - Drysdale. Probably their first AFL-listed player for a long time, maybe the first one.

Good luck to him, proof that persistence often pays off.
Well he was on the Leopold list this year and I'm happy to claim him there :D

Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention but I thought Ruggles played mainly as a mid last season. Bates first and then Cowan had the attacking half back role ( often free and expected to cover / run the ball).

Ruggles was often at centre bounces too. Did a good job of that . Lacked any outstanding attribute or deficiency IMO , except for the one I rate most highly - can find the pill.

I Agree that it is good to see a VFL lister get a chance. You know he will work hard.
If this helps:
Ruggles highlights -
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2015-11-27/tom-ruggles-highlights

GFC website -
"Profile:
After two seasons with Werribee Tigers, where he accumulated 17 VFL matches, Tom Ruggles returned to Leopold in 2014 and was a key factor in their successful campaign. He was an emerging leader of the Lions outfit that made it to the GFL Grand Final. The medium defender is a competitive beast on the field and was rewarded with 2014 GFL Team of the Year honours for his damaging role off half back. Ruggles will be key for the Cats in 2015 with his ability to run and create off the backline."
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/football/vfl/vfl-list

Also a break from tradition... normally we kick out our VEL B&F winner... This year we are welcoming one in!!
He will be hoping to not go back-to-back though!

Here are our new Kittens!

View attachment 196270
Left to right: Hayball, Gardner, Buzza + Menegola.
There's not much to them, is there? They will sure look different once they put a bit of meat on those bones!

Is Buzz-Boy our insurance in case Cowan goes down?

Am very happy we managed to net Ruggles.

Like Menegola, I'll be very surprised if Ruggles doesn't play senior footy in 2016.

Will be tough with Bates being his main rival, Bews has small defender covered atm but really has no backup, will be interesting to see if things fall his way and his form continues. Looks a great reader of play and runner out of defence, Wells has killed it this year imo.

Like Menegola, I'll be very surprised if Ruggles doesn't play senior footy in 2016.

As we are 2 short on the senior list we get to elevate 2 nominated rookies before round 1 who are eligible for seniors,he would be a fair chance to be one of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As we are 2 short on the senior list we get to elevate 2 nominated rookies before round 1 who are eligible for seniors,he would be a fair chance to be one of them.

Yes of course!....they know what they're getting and he's good to go!....he's a great fit and balances the available senior list, terrific!
I like his size and power combined with pretty good leg speed.

Imagine what it must feel like for these kids to turn up for their first training session and they are running around with Joel Selwood, Paddy Dangerfield, Jimmy Bartel, Corey Enright etc.

Daunting and s**t scared are two words that leap to mind. That's not to say they can't be confident in their own ability but day one with those blokes is gonna be spent in awe..

Go Catters

Do have an opinion on Jock Cornells chances of being one of the players.... just seems to have that look that he may be able to play early?

On Ruggles.... if get two...then Id think he would be ahead of Parsons...purely because he has played the year in the VFL. What I'm not sure off is what role he would play? I admit to having been at games he played and still have no mental image of him.

Daunting and s**t scared are two words that leap to mind. That's not to say they can't be confident in their own ability but day one with those blokes is gonna be spent in awe..

Go Catters

I know id be crappin my nappies. One would think any kid with a football interest would have to be a little wrong footed kicking it to Selwood , or trying to out mark Hawkins or trying to beat Jimmy one on one. Trepidation is natural , and it would take a while one would think before they are really just team mates. ...but would they all be like that?

The self confidence that some kids seem to ooze is bordering on the stereotypical american type athlete. Its why I think having a side of all early picks is not a lock to having the best side. This year we have added a lot of guys who have stories and have not had it served to them on a platter. I doubt they will come in with a swagger , they may have self confidence...but a theme I have heard from several of them is they can't wait to get in and do the hard work to prove themselves. Even Menegola.

I may be off the bead here , but I suspect that any kid to get to this level needs some talent..and our guys know it. They know who they are and don't need to have a Johnson comp at the urinal to prove it. Turf wars with new kid coming in might be a problem in unsuccessful environment , but it seems the new guys get welcome into the fold ...as long as they pay the price so to speak.

And on big advantage for Ruggles is that he has been seen at the club , he known already ..he can hit the ground running from D1

Do have an opinion on Jock Cornells chances of being one of the players.... just seems to have that look that he may be able to play early?

On Ruggles.... if get two...then Id think he would be ahead of Parsons...purely because he has played the year in the VFL. What I'm not sure off is what role he would play? I admit to having been at games he played and still have no mental image of him.

I like Cornell but not sure how ready he is, he is still an 18 year old coming from the NEAFL so hard to tell how round 1 ready he is. I assume we will use the 2 nominated rookies as if you don't nominate them by round 1 you don't get anymore elevations until round 12 (aside from LTIs) so you may as well use them or lose them.

I assume Ruggles will play as a small defender/HB, in the event that Bews doesn't build up his endurance or Enright needs a rest.

I like Cornell but not sure how ready he is, he is still an 18 year old coming from the NEAFL so hard to tell how round 1 ready he is. I assume we will use the 2 nominated rookies as if you don't nominate them by round 1 you don't get anymore elevations until round 12 (aside from LTIs) so you may as well use them or lose them.

I assume Ruggles will play as a small defender/HB, in the event that Bews doesn't build up his endurance or Enright needs a rest.

Agree on Cornell. I think on talent he's good enough to play AFL next year but I think there's lots of blokes ahead of him.

GFC don't elevate rookies just because they can. I think it's used more as "You've now earned your spot on the senior list."

Agree on Cornell. I think on talent he's good enough to play AFL next year but I think there's lots of blokes ahead of him.

GFC don't elevate rookies just because they can. I think it's used more as "You've now earned your spot on the senior list."
Once elevated they also get paid a higher wage I believe with our tight cap you'd assume they will only do what's needed. I tend to pay attention mostly to the Afl listed players when I go to the vfl so don't have to much of an idea of Ruggles. He seems to have a really good attitude and willingness to work hard his highlights look good and I'm happy we got a small defender. Looks like we will have some players in the vfl that can play down there next season. At times this year it was just Kolo of the afl listed players hoping that these picks can help straighten up the vfl team.

Have to join turbo and catsdoitbetter. I obviously had the wrong player in mind when Ruggles was selected. I also have "no image of him" after watching most games of VFL last year.

If he was a mid or forward this would worry me but a defender - even very effective ones ply their trade quietly. Lonergan is one example. I reckon what he does in some games is under rated even though he has done the job. Kolo too was a slow burner in his first year more because he had / has a defenders mindset. The only thing that stood out early was closing speed and great timing of his spoils.

If Ruggles Is one of those players who can concentrate for a whole game on nullifying , he will be one of very few smaller players on our list who can. It won't matter if he is not noticed if he can help stem bleeding because of small forwards.

Got a lot of the ball.

Game Log
DATE
OPPOSITION BST G BHD KE KIE HE HIE HR CM UM MKS TKS FF FA HO
Fri 17/Apr Werribee Tigers 5 1 0 11 7 4 1 5 0 6 6 3 3 0 0
Sat 2/May Richmond Tigers 0 0 0 7 4 5 1 7 0 4 4 3 1 0 0
Sat 9/May Collingwood 0 0 0 5 1 0 0 2 0 1 1 1 2 0 0
Sat 16/May Footscray Bulldogs 0 0 0 3 3 3 1 7 0 2 2 1 1 1 0
Sat 23/May Port Melbourne 2 0 0 10 2 3 0 5 0 6 6 2 2 2 0
Sat 30/May Williamstown 5 0 0 7 2 2 2 5 2 3 5 1 0 2 0
Sat 6/Jun Essendon 1 0 0 15 5 3 0 6 1 6 7 2 7 1 0
Sat 13/Jun North Ballarat 0 0 0 9 5 1 1 6 0 3 3 1 5 0 0