Player Watch #36 Welcome to Richmond - Will Martyn

Remove this Banner Ad

Possibly the worst debut I can remember. Only person who could claim to be worse on debut was down the other end in Mansell.

If Patrick Naish can’t get a game ahead of these two and Egglomese then we might as well delist him as well.

Thought Mansell was passable in his overall game. Can see good signs in him moving forward. Martyn on the other hand that was very underwhelming.

I guess they will give RCD, Naish, Ralphsmith a game sooner rather than later.

Again, what an opportunity to be given to him, finals like pressure, he cracked under that pressure. But that’s okay, there’s clearly PLENTY to like about him, he was given a game for a reason, deep breathing everyone - he learnt so much tonight, all part of the process, back to the VFL, he’ll train harder, improve, develop, and get another crack at it later in the year.

Onya Marty.

No I’m not his dad, just a level headed tigers fan.

Will be good for him to experience the big step up in pace and speed with defenders going at him full tilt. Looked exhausted and fully spent when he got caught on that last play.

Blooding two first gamers at the same time was a big risk

Last edited:

Apart from a final there wouldn’t be a harder game to debut than last night.

He was overwhelmed and not up to the pace of the game.

Good experience for him but back to the VFL and give Ralphsmith or Naish a crack.
Dimma mentioned both in the press conference.

I will say one more thing, there’s a difference between:

HE IS NOT READY YET

and

HE WILL NEVER BE READY.

Anyone who seriously says that this kid will never make it, dead set, on what basis? You’ve seen him play once, as opposed to the coaching staff etc who see him on the training track week in week out.

Can’t write him off but the fact is probably half the players drafted make it at the level. You hope it was just a mare but his awareness was terrible so he needs to just switch on a bit and he might be ok. Coming from a mile back in my opinion. Play him against a crap team and see how he goes

End of the day it was a bad debut. To slow, not only by his run but also in decision making. Got caught several times without any awareness of what was around him. I was thinking how on earth did he get a game ahead of collier dawkins, at least Riley is damn quick, suits our style.
One of our assistants was on radio. Said it was close but Martyn has more spread and that’s what they needed.

Apart from a final there wouldn’t be a harder game to debut than last night.

He was overwhelmed and not up to the pace of the game.

Good experience for him but back to the VFL and give Ralphsmith or Naish a crack.
Dimma mentioned both in the press conference.
It was a big ask to debut in that type of game - you knew it was a big game as Marlion Pickett came to play! That was prelim final like in intensity.

The poster who said that Rhyan Mansell could be a contender for worst debut ever is having a bit of a mare themselves I think 😅

I am genuinely surprised how far away Martyn looked last night. He was not anywhere near the standard, which is okay because he's young and developing but how bad are RCD and Naish going if they thought this guy was ready to debut before them getting picked?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno what everyone expected tbh
3rd round pick midfielder in his first game and you campaigners think he’s gonna come out and get 25 possies with 3 goals

he was fine, baptism of fire against one of the best midfields in the comp and worked his way into the game

12 + 3 (holding the ball) touches in half a game time is a great sign. Much easier to adjust to the pace of the game and awerness than it is the ability to find the ball. He will have learnt a lot and the disappointment will hopefully drive him even more. Gets a tick from me.

If he hadn't been caught out on those few occasions then I think we'd be pretty happy with his first game, better than Thomson Dow's even.
Hopefully it was just a bit of nerves causing the lack of awareness and he's better for it in the long run. Could be a great player for us.
Also the fact it was against Port he wouldn’t of been able to hear his team mates trying to warn him about having an oppo player up his ass

Good learning experience for him and will be a test of his character to see whether he does actually rebound from this. I just hope he isnt too deflated, he's obviously got the potential and character to play AFL level well.

He looked quite embarrassed and I think dimma lost a bit of confidence in him (didn't play many minutes after half time) so I cant see him playing next week or for the reminder of the year TBH - unless we are decimated by injuries

Good learning experience for him and will be a test of his character to see whether he does actually rebound from this. I just hope he isnt too deflated, he's obviously got the potential and character to play AFL level well.

He looked quite embarrassed and I think dimma lost a bit of confidence in him (didn't play many minutes after half time) so I cant see him playing next week or for the reminder of the year TBH - unless we are decimated by injuries

If I had to beat on it I'm thinking he'll get another chance against the Saints.

Was always a big ask throwing him into the fire of Adelaide Oval for Port's Grand final.

If I had to beat on it I'm thinking he'll get another chance against the Saints.

Was always a big ask throwing him into the fire of Adelaide Oval for Port's Grand final.
Yeah - I think it'll be a call based on how well he responds through the week - anyone outside the club wont see how well he copes with it but I agree if he's not too deflated and keen to make amends and trains well then definitely back him in for redemption game! It'll come down to his character

Remove this Banner Ad

Back