Player Watch #36 Welcome to Richmond - Will Martyn

Remove this Banner Ad

Still believe he's in The Silky Butterfly category type player. Don't think he'll make it, but happy to keep hm on the list for 5 seasons to try and prove me wrong.

In what way? He's an ordinary kick with a big tank who can find the ball, including in the contest. Sounds like the opposite of Lennon...

Still believe he's in The Silky Butterfly category type player. Don't think he'll make it, but happy to keep hm on the list for 5 seasons to try and prove me wrong.
One thing that Martyn has shown is that he can run all day and find the ball. He is neat by foot and good by hand. Medium paced like the SB (who was slow) however, which is his biggest handicap. Would like to see him with another preseason and another couple of kg's on his frame to make him a real inside mid before making a judgement. He is a good size, but without speed most struggle these days.

If you want to look at what type of player Martyn can become, I think Kane Lambert is the best comparison. He might not get there, but that's what he'd be aiming for.

So for those that have watched the VFL, is he an inside bull or more an outside link up? Or both? I'm curious as to how the club see his future development. Either way he has a crucial off season ahead.

One thing that Martyn has shown is that he can run all day and find the ball. He is neat by foot and good by hand. Medium paced like the SB (who was slow) however, which is his biggest handicap. Would like to see him with another preseason and another couple of kg's on his frame to make him a real inside mid before making a judgement. He is a good size, but without speed most struggle these days.
Good points, but his biggest problem apart from lack of leg speed is his decision making and awareness. He's a slow thinker as well.

Good points, but his biggest problem apart from lack of leg speed is his decision making and awareness. He's a slow thinker as well.
His, and other young draftees, issue is that there’s been bugger all continuity in VFL footy for two years now and it’s really stymied their development. I mean, they’ve been playing in 16 a side multi team scratch matches for a fair part of this season!!!!
Big call to delist or make a serious call on players drafted in the last 2-3 years imo. But we may be forced to do so

60 pressure points is very high, must have been playing a defensive role . Sowed plenty for second game , I’m peeved I gotta be honest that we exposed so many of these players final round , should have been after GC debacle , ladder position likely the same, but we d know a heck more about these kids + 5-6 more senior games

60 pressure points is very high, must have been playing a defensive role . Sowed plenty for second game , I’m peeved I gotta be honest that we exposed so many of these players final round , should have been after GC debacle , ladder position likely the same, but we d know a heck more about these kids + 5-6 more senior games
Although we played a lot of kids at times this season I think the match committee were too conservative and didn't back the kids as much as they could of. Ladder position played a big factor in that.

Although we played a lot of kids at times this season I think the match committee were too conservative and didn't back the kids as much as they could of. Ladder position played a big factor in that.
Yea ladder position indicated we were hanging in there reality we weren’t ,,,funny thing is had we played 4-5 senior players who were all labouring , we likely lose yesterday’s game

Yea ladder position indicated we were hanging in there reality we weren’t ,,,funny thing is had we played 4-5 senior players who were all labouring , we likely lose yesterday’s game
We backed the youth just in time, should give them a good reason to go into next year with a positive attitude. Hardwick will need to refresh also, he hasn't looked comfortable all year. A nice holiday is needed, as long as it is within the 5km zone. Prick of a year all round, but next year is looking better.

We backed the youth just in time, should give them a good reason to go into next year with a positive attitude. Hardwick will need to refresh also, he hasn't looked comfortable all year. A nice holiday is needed, as long as it is within the 5km zone. Prick of a year all round, but next year is looking better.
Yea he’s a learner and will realise that the game plan needs to evolve with more uncontested ball now , a couple of new asst coaches won’t hurt either add some new ideas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s the general consensus on Martyn as a prospect on here? Has anyone been able to see a lot of his work at VFL level this year?
What sort of mid does he play like? I’ve heard fairly big wraps on him from the club.

What’s the general consensus on Martyn as a prospect on here? Has anyone been able to see a lot of his work at VFL level this year?
What sort of mid does he play like? I’ve heard fairly big wraps on him from the club.
Pure inside extractor type when he was drafted but has shown signs of working on his outside game

Disagree Tiger I think he is the best of the best of our youngsters. Injury and covid have not helped his progress

I have seen nothing that stands out with Martyn. Hopefully he can have an impact otherwise he will be lucky to get another year.
No he doesn't have any tricks but Martyn did improve with every game this year and we have to remember the Brownlow medal winner this year is a meat and potatoes type of player as well.

2nd year averaged 25 disposals, 5 marks, 6.5 tackles, a bunch of clearances and a VFL team BnF....fair effort I reckon all things considered. Reminds me of Anthony Miles but bigger and a far better runner.

Could be a gem.

Yep, his VFL form was as good as any and he's only a kid playing a mans role.

He will be a player I reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back