Player Watch #36 Welcome to Richmond - Will Martyn

Remove this Banner Ad

The anti dean polo?

That’s the worst debut I have ever seen. Good that he got to see what he needs to do to get to the level. I’d give him another run later in the year against a bottom four team.
Glass half full here - I thought i saw something, that clean pickup in traffic and release handball ... you can't teach that .... yes he was a bit overwhelmed by the heat of the game but not totally to be unexpected given debut and the frantic prrssure. Reckon if a kid shows a couple of good things on debut, its a win.

Glass half full here - I thought i saw something, that clean pickup in traffic and release handball ... you can't teach that .... yes he was a bit overwhelmed by the heat of the game but not totally to be unexpected given debut and the frantic prrssure. Reckon if a kid shows a couple of good things on debut, its a win.

I’ll see your one clean pickup and handball with 6 turnovers from 12 touches and an absolute deer in the headlights the whole game.

I’ll see your one clean pickup and handball with 6 turnovers from 12 touches and an absolute deer in the headlights the whole game.

I like the fact we played him, we need to do this, give these young guys games. But if the main issue with a player in his first match is that he finds it hard due to the speed of the game then it is probably a good sign.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again, what an opportunity to be given to him, finals like pressure, he cracked under that pressure. But that’s okay, there’s clearly PLENTY to like about him, he was given a game for a reason, deep breathing everyone - he learnt so much tonight, all part of the process, back to the VFL, he’ll train harder, improve, develop, and get another crack at it later in the year.

Onya Marty.

No I’m not his dad, just a level headed tigers fan.

I will say one more thing, there’s a difference between:

HE IS NOT READY YET

and

HE WILL NEVER BE READY.

Anyone who seriously says that this kid will never make it, dead set, on what basis? You’ve seen him play once, as opposed to the coaching staff etc who see him on the training track week in week out.

End of the day it was a bad debut. To slow, not only by his run but also in decision making. Got caught several times without any awareness of what was around him. I was thinking how on earth did he get a game ahead of collier dawkins, at least Riley is damn quick, suits our style.

Possibly the worst debut I can remember. Only person who could claim to be worse on debut was down the other end in Mansell.

If Patrick Naish can’t get a game ahead of these two and Egglomese then we might as well delist him as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back