Player Watch #36 Welcome to Richmond - Will Martyn

Mar 14, 2009
MCG
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tottenham
Im hopeful for the kid but he seems to lack speed. Im worried, when a player lacks speed they struggle in AFL level footy. Corey Ellis a prime example. Hope Im wrong.

Speed does not stop a player impacting at AFL level alone.

Correy Ellis was not up to it because he was soft, slow and also couldn't find the ball.

Martyn already looks to be a big ball winner at junior level so he's already ahead of Corey Ellis who was inconsistent in his junior days.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Speed does not stop a player impacting at AFL level alone.

Correy Ellis was not up to it because he was soft, slow and also couldn't find the ball.

Martyn already looks to be a big ball winner at junior level so he's already ahead of Corey Ellis who was inconsistent in his junior days.
He's also a good size by the pick on the Dow thread.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
not everyone can play centre square at once - there is que

he better learn the wing...
Very unlikely that he will be playing anything other than VFL for a season or two, not an easy side to crack. He might play wing at some stage, he has the running power so that's a start, but he looks like a ball hunter.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Very unlikely that he will be playing anything other than VFL for a season or two, not an easy side to crack. He might play wing at some stage, he has the running power so that's a start, but he looks like a ball hunter.

i was kinda talking about the vfl team

rcd, ross, dow, cumberland, english ...

Last edited:

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
i was kinda talking about the vfl team

rcd, ross, dow ...
I'd be surprised if Ross is not Rd.1 AFL, he is going to be a gun.

Dow looks like a bit of a Gary Ablett type when he first started, lead up half forward who can go through the middle. A couple of times in his highlights he reminded me of Ablett.
Martyn has played mainly centre and looks physically more equipped for it right now. We have lost Ballard as well.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

Dow looks like a bit of a Gary Ablett type when he first started, lead up half forward who can go through the middle. A couple of times in his highlights he reminded me of Ablett.
Martyn has played mainly centre and looks physically more equipped for it right now. We have lost Ballard as well.

Graham Pickett or Stack in the reserves then to challenge Martyn for time inside the guts - assuming Ross is promoted

Stacks natural spot is inside mid i would like to see him there... preferably in the afl if possible, Ballard will hurt but RCD is a beast now so it should be alright

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Graham Pickett or Stack in the reserves then to challenge Martyn for time inside the guts - assuming Ross is promoted

Stacks natural spot is inside mid i would like to see him there... preferably in the afl if possible, Ballard will hurt but RCD is a beast now so it should be alright
If Stack is not playing AFL I'm going to support Essendon.
Pickett is also there unless something odd happens.
Graham is the most likely of the three, but I'd be surprised if he is not best 22-24.

Funny you say that,
His numbers last year were very similar to Ablett at the same time in his career

not suggesting that he will be anywhere that the player Ablett turned out to be but there is definitely a connection to how they play

Back